Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, eg, it's time to "woman up" and be better friends to our friends. We need UP mother-load notches of friendship, gestures of appreciation and love, etc. and go AGAINST FB, email, and the like! :p

I know a simple phone call is easy, for the most part, to break the ice in a "frozen in time" friendship. But what else can we do to let our friends know that "hey, we ARE here, and we ARE your friend". After all, we have known these people MOST of our lives and they have made an impact on our hearts.

I'm ready for this change and I see that you are, too, Endlessgrief. Let's do this together! :)

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thought I'd add some humor here: ;)

A group of 15-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Dairy Queen next to the Oceanview restaurant because they had only $6.00 among them and Jimmy Johnson, the cute boy in Social Studies, lived on that street.

10 years later, the group of 25-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the beer was cheap, the restaurant offered free snacks, the band was good, there was no cover and there were lots of cute guys.

10 years later, the group of 35-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the Cosmos were good, it was right near the gym and, if they went late enough, there wouldn't be too many whiny little kids.

10 years later, the group of 45-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the martinis were big and the waiters had tight pants and nice buns.

10 years later, the group of 55-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the prices were reasonable, the wine list was good, the restaurant had windows that opened (in case of a hot flashes), and fish is good for cholesterol.

10 years later, the group of 65-year-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the lighting was good and the restaurant had an early bird special.

10 years later, the group of 75-years-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because the food was not too spicy and the restaurant was handicapped-accessible.

10 years later, the group of 85-years-old girlfriends discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally, they agreed to meet at the Ocean View restaurant because they had never been there before. :)

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Sadly, in my case at least, I have lost most, if not all of my close friendships. Life moves us all in different directions. 2 of my closer GFs decided to start pumping out kids in their 40's. I've already done that, and am way past the diaper/kids birthday party stage. We fell away from each other. Another close friend runs a home daycare, and is also stalled in the 'pee-pee-ca-ca' stage in her life...we have little in common. Another one just drinks too much alcohol and cheats on her husband; I am not into either of those activities, but she seems to have found plenty of other friends that are. Another is a compulsive and habitual liar...I'd rather just keep them on FB than in real life at this point. I guess thats why I spend so much time on TAM or hanging with my husband! I spend time with my family now, in lieu of with friends. I'm 42, and find it tough to make new friends at this stage in my life...

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 42, and find it tough to make new friends at this stage in my life...
I'll be 42 in 13 days. ;)

Yes I find it difficult to make new friends as well. We do have friends in our age group that have kids our child's age (6).

One couple lives 30 minutes away in another city, so we don't get together with them too often, maybe once every 6 or so weeks. Our girls love to get together and play nice together.

Another couple has 2 kids; the boy is older than my girl, and their daughter is 3 years younger, but the girls do play well together. It's difficult to see them often because the Mom has alot of health issues, so she never feels like doing anything.

There's a single Mom we know and our daughters are the same age and attend the same school. Her son is a few year older. We get together with them when schedules permit, but it's hard to be close friends with someone that's either in the dating world, or having mental/health issues.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I love the joke about the girlfriends, I laughed out loud at the last line. Candiegirl, it is hard to be friends with people who have young children. Since I never wanted any children, I lost touch with a lot of my friends from school in my 20's and 30's. It was my choice, it just got boring trying to talk to them on the phone with their brats making a racket in the background and hearing about how little Johnny used the potty for the first time, bleh. But that is what mothers do, they put their kids first and get totally ingrained in mommy-hood.

My sister is a compulsive liar and it is so aggravating talking to her. She will lie about anything for no reason. Gets me so pissed I just post messages to her FB now. I would give the world to have my sister back but she has grown into a 34 year old woman I don't like. She is a "one upper" and a "braggart."

Southern Wife, yes my darlin', we shall do this together. Tomorrow, let's check back and share information on how it went shall we?

This is for all the best friends out there:

Golden Girls Theme Song - YouTube

:rofl: I have been wanting to post that stupid song for awhile!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I am sadly lacking in the local friend department. We moved 6 years ago from the town I had lived in since I was a tot & simply have not been able to make local friends. It does not help that I am shy to the point of not being able to function in social situations.
I have a couple of good friends who live too far away to visit with out a plane ride & a good friend who lives an hour away, but she has 8 kids, all younger than mine, so has no time to visit & is too embarressed to let me come to her house.
I really need to learn how to make friends, we have been going to the same church on & off for 6 years & I still run out as soon as it is finished. What a pitiful person I am for someone in their 40's!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You are not pitiful you pretty wigged kitty kat! Finding true friends in our 40's is tough because you have to find something in common. With me especially, I don't know any 40 year old female metal heads who like to watch horror movies.

Most women I have come across at work or other places is that they don't have dark, sick sense of humors. I need that in a friend. I refuse to change who I am or hold my tongue just to be friends with someone.

Coming here and joking around and talking to women of my age has been an epiphany! I view all of the people on TAM my friends because right now, you guys are the only ones I share stuff with.

Reactions: southern wife

·
Registered
723 Posts
I know, how hard is it to find someone with a sense of humour? Try joking around about being a parent.. You would think that you were committing the ultimate sin. I told someone once that my youngest son was the baby from hell, next thing I know it is going around that I called him demon spawn. WTH?
Neither H nor I are very serious people unless we absolutely have to be..

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Candiegirl, it is hard to be friends with people who have young children. Since I never wanted any children, I lost touch with a lot of my friends from school in my 20's and 30's. It was my choice, it just got boring trying to talk to them on the phone with their brats making a racket in the background and hearing about how little Johnny used the potty for the first time, bleh. But that is what mothers do, they put their kids first and get totally ingrained in mommy-hood.
Wow, you've got me thinking this is what happened to my friend. I have a kid; she does not. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
It just seems different nowadays when i was kid we played outside till our mothers yelled for us to come eat i drive down my neighborhood that is in a gated community and their still isnt kids out playing kinda sad i guess they are inside playing nintendo or something

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just seems different nowadays when i was kid we played outside till our mothers yelled for us to come eat i drive down my neighborhood that is in a gated community and their still isnt kids out playing kinda sad i guess they are inside playing nintendo or something
That is sad. Same with our neighborhood. We live in a cul-de-sac and my daughter is the only child. Other kids her age live in the back of the neighborhood. We do get the kids together to play, but not like they would every day if they lived side by side.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
my dds will say daddy we are going outside to play then 10 minutes later back in house I am like hey werent yall going outside they are like we did its too hot lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.