Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user obviously, I need some place to vent.

We're both 25, been married almost 3 years. Life is 'mostly' good.

I've got a well paying job, wife has an average-paying job, but she absolutely hates the people she works with. She's a very go-getter type personality. 4.0 all through college, she gets stuff done and her coworkers and boss are mediocrities at best.

She wanted to go to graduate school online to advance her career. She has anxiety issues, but we've found that the best way to counter her anxiety is for her to be busy with work/projects where she can apply her energy. If she sits at home too long without anything to do she starts to go insane. For this reason, I fully support her career and grad school.

Then something came up. Maybe you've heard about this article?
The war on men | Fox News
The gist of the article is that less men want to get married nowadays because a lot of women are more career oriented and don't want to 'be women' anymore.

I read it and was very curious as to what she thought, we both consider ourselves to be intellectual and value each other's opinions. Well she about blew it when she read this thing - got super pissed off - especially when I said that 'I think that there's some truth to the article' and that I could relate to how some guys could feel that way. We eventually got over it after arguing for a while, but then one of my siblings posted the article on facebook saying what a great article it was and so we argued about it again! She's super offended that I said I could relate to how some guys would get turned-off to the modern woman, because she is the modern woman. I should have just kept my mouth shut, but it's what I feel inside.

It's making me have such an inner conflict. I love my wife, but sometimes I catch myself wishing I had married someone who would have more interest in being a mom instead of having a career. We don't have kids yet, I want to start soon, she wants to wait. She hates cooking, I do almost all the cooking. She hates doing laundry, I do most of that too. She comes home from work and usually 'rants' about how bad her work is for a good half hour. I've told her quite often that if at any time she wants to just stay home and have/raise our kids, I am totally fine with that. I make enough money to support us, but she gets offended that I would even suggest that.

Am I so wrong in wishing that my wife was more wife and less career? I want someone that compliments me, not a copy of me.

Like I said, not any real problems, just confused about life. It's not a deal breaker or anything, I just find myself wishing I would have taken another path 3 years ago.

·
Banned
4,714 Posts
I think it of paramount importance that a couple have common dreams and aspirations. It is one of the very foundations of a successful marriage. It sounds like the two of you are diametrically opposed in this exceedingly basic requirement of a happy and healthy marriage.

My elder son has a partner who is very much a modern woman, exceedingly so. It’s a very big part of what he loves and appreciates about her.

Seems like you’ve discovered you married the wrong type of woman for the type of man you are. Marriage is full of compromises. But there really shouldn’t be any sacrifices because that just breeds bitterness and resentment.

It’s unlikely that either of you will be happy unless the other makes a big sacrifice. But that does not make the marriage as a whole a happy one and someone, probably both, will end up bitter and resentful.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Firstly, that article is pure and utter 100% trash. It shows blatant ignorance about feminism, women, men and culture. But if that was the catalyst to your argument, then that does show that you and your wife have entirely different viewpoints on life and your future together. Did you know this about one another when you married? Did you discuss your career/childrearing/future goals at all when you were engaged, and if so, what did you come up with? How has that changed from then to now?

·
Banned
4,714 Posts
Sounds to me like your sibling is a shet stirrer. Toxic friends are something to be kept a weathered eye on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFEH said:
It sounds like the two of you are diametrically opposed in this exceedingly basic requirement of a happy and healthy marriage.
I don't think I would go that far. We're very happy for the most part.

Jane_Doe said:
Did you know this about one another when you married?
Pretty much, but we were also engaged at 21 and married at 22. Things I never thought would be important to me are beginning to become more important, like raising a family.

She's not opposed to kids, she just wants to wait a few more years and has no intention of being a stay at home mom.
I've made peace with this, and like I said, I find myself wishing at times that it wasn't that way.

·
Registered
17,074 Posts
I haven't even read the article but believing that 40 years of feminist ideas trump thousands of years of human evolution and proven success is a little audacious and naive. Feminism has brought us increased juvenile delinquency, decreased academic achievement in our young and increased female and child poverty. But hey, it's trendy and it's politically correct and that's all that matters. Never mind that the standard of living for a 1950s family with a single wage-earner was actually higher than that of the increasingly rare, married, two-wage earner mom/dad with biological kids configuration we have today. I have no desire to keep anyone "down" but feminism hasn't been an unqualified success.

·
Banned
4,714 Posts
Firstly, that article is pure and utter 100% trash. It shows blatant ignorance about feminism, women, men and culture. But if that was the catalyst to your argument, then that does show that you and your wife have entirely different viewpoints on life and your future together. Did you know this about one another when you married? Did you discuss your career/childrearing/future goals at all when you were engaged, and if so, what did you come up with? How has that changed from then to now?
In a nutshell, women are angry. They’re also defensive, though often unknowingly.

Author sure went and got that bit right!

Read more: The war on men | Fox News

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
You got married very young before you knew what your values were in life. This is why people recommend waiting until around 30 for marriage.

The thing is, don't give her a list of things she should change about herself.

You should in your marriage really learn who your wife is deep inside. You should verbalize your values and desires in life. She is also young and her values are still forming. She may agree with your value system and adopt it. Or the process of speaking about your ideas and your learnging about who your wife is on a deep level could cuase you to modify your thinking. You will eventually discover if the person you married fits withing your values or not. That's when you have kids or get divorced.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
We're both 25
I'm going to respond by telling you my story. I used to be your wife. I got married at 25 and had ZERO interest in kids. I wanted a career and did have one (I'm a CPA). That career almost killed my marriage but that's for another post.

Fast forward 8 years and at the age of 33 that career just isn't fulfilling anymore. I began to want more so I finally caved on having kids. My husband had wanted them for years but I always wanted to wait.

I laugh at myself now because I'm now 46 with THREE kids. Not every woman feels this way but once I had my son I just couldn't bear to have anyone raise him but me so I walked away from my job. I've been a homemaker for 9 years now. I even discovered I love to cook. Who knew? I NEVER cooked before kids.

So my sincere advice is this. You're not wrong in what you want. Most men do long for the domestic life however you are so very very young. Too young I think to have kids (just my opinion - no slams for the young parents out there). You will both change a lot in the next 5-8 years.

I think you should take a wait and observe stance. Give it a few years and see how she feels then. Just don't wait too long in case she truly is one of those women not interested in domesticity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mavash said:
I think you should take a wait and observe stance. Give it a few years and see how she feels then.
Sounds like good advice to me. I have a feeling we will both be very different people in 5 years. I look back at myself at 20 and I was a completely different person

I am very happy with my life, but I think everyone has those 'what could have been' moments. Life isn't perfect and you make your choice to be the right one.

·
Banned
4,714 Posts
My understanding is the closer your wife gets to menopause without having had children, the greater will be her desire to do so. It’s the fertility ticking clock syndrome. It seems to be a Golden Rule.

My son and partner’s agreement is the one who’s earning the least money when their child is due is the one who stays at home to care for it. It has been and still is exceptionally important for his partner to do well on the career ladder before having children.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven't even read the article but believing that 40 years of feminist ideas trump thousands of years of human evolution and proven success is a little audacious and naive. Feminism has brought us increased juvenile delinquency, decreased academic achievement in our young and increased female and child poverty. But hey, it's trendy and it's politically correct and that's all that matters. Never mind that the standard of living for a 1950s family with a single wage-earner was actually higher than that of the increasingly rare, married, two-wage earner mom/dad with biological kids configuration we have today. I have no desire to keep anyone "down" but feminism hasn't been an unqualified success.
Ahhhh...Music to my ears! Sorry to say it man..but if she can't keep you happy then what incentive do you have to stay married at such a young age? If you think you will be truly unhappy and are wishing you had married someone else or had not married at all then that tells you more than anyone on here ever could.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
OP, this is the sort of thing that should be discussed before getting married.

As far as the article goes, being career orientated doesn't make a woman less of a woman, anymore than becoming a mother makes her more of one. It might make her less likely to want to start a family whilst she's at the early stages of carving her career, but it doesn't mean that she's incapable of being a good mother when the time is right for her.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Regarding the article, right facts, wrong interpretation. Written by a woman who has the clairvoyant power to know why men make major decisions for their lives. Please.

Op - welcome to 2012. Don't waste another second feeling sorry for yourself with selfish regrets. Resolve to take the lead in your marriage and apply your many strengths to making it work. First,make it a point to get yourself the tools and understanding you will need. At the very least, understand what maturity and mature behavior are and make sure that's what you're doing. Next, find out about healthy boundaries and how to set them and slowly start using them in a loving manner.

Love your wife for what she is. Let her own her feelings and insecurities and don't take them on yourself. Assert your personal right to wish for whatever you desire and accept that we can't always get what we want. For the record, my wife acts a lot like a 1960's dad with a stay at home wife. I pick up the slack because I'm the man and I'm responsible. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, these are not her jobs. Her job is to help. I respectfully gain her cooperation by letting her know what I think we need help with. If she is not able to do what I suggest, I humbly try to find something else for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New user obviously, I need some place to vent.

We're both 25, been married almost 3 years. Life is 'mostly' good.

I've got a well paying job, wife has an average-paying job, but she absolutely hates the people she works with. She's a very go-getter type personality. 4.0 all through college, she gets stuff done and her coworkers and boss are mediocrities at best.

She wanted to go to graduate school online to advance her career. She has anxiety issues, but we've found that the best way to counter her anxiety is for her to be busy with work/projects where she can apply her energy. If she sits at home too long without anything to do she starts to go insane. For this reason, I fully support her career and grad school.

Then something came up. Maybe you've heard about this article?
The war on men | Fox News
The gist of the article is that less men want to get married nowadays because a lot of women are more career oriented and don't want to 'be women' anymore.

I read it and was very curious as to what she thought, we both consider ourselves to be intellectual and value each other's opinions. Well she about blew it when she read this thing - got super pissed off - especially when I said that 'I think that there's some truth to the article' and that I could relate to how some guys could feel that way. We eventually got over it after arguing for a while, but then one of my siblings posted the article on facebook saying what a great article it was and so we argued about it again! She's super offended that I said I could relate to how some guys would get turned-off to the modern woman, because she is the modern woman. I should have just kept my mouth shut, but it's what I feel inside.

It's making me have such an inner conflict. I love my wife, but sometimes I catch myself wishing I had married someone who would have more interest in being a mom instead of having a career. We don't have kids yet, I want to start soon, she wants to wait. She hates cooking, I do almost all the cooking. She hates doing laundry, I do most of that too. She comes home from work and usually 'rants' about how bad her work is for a good half hour. I've told her quite often that if at any time she wants to just stay home and have/raise our kids, I am totally fine with that. I make enough money to support us, but she gets offended that I would even suggest that.

Am I so wrong in wishing that my wife was more wife and less career? I want someone that compliments me, not a copy of me.

Like I said, not any real problems, just confused about life. It's not a deal breaker or anything, I just find myself wishing I would have taken another path 3 years ago.
I know exactly how you feel, I'm in a boat similar to yours except it's my husband's hobby that gets in the way. We have been together for 3 years, married for 1. My husband is a pro R/C driver, so all that ever goes on in our house is r/c, continuous conversations, all our money spent on it, all his time spent at the track, and now he wants me to start doing it with him. As if it doesn't consume our lives enough!

Because of his energy being used 100% on this, we barely have a sex life, we are always broke, and I do everything for him! As if he is a child and I am his mother! We both have full time jobs, I cook dinner every night, make his plate for him. We have two dogs, I always am the one to feed them, bath them, and taking them on walks. I do his laundry, pick up after him (dirty cups, plates, garbage) you name it, I do it! Pay the bills, clean the house! Its been done!

I am so tired of having to treat him like my 5 year old son, I want him to take some responsibility! He even slacks at work when he has a big race coming up because he thinks about cars 24/7. He has already been written up once and the next time he will be terminated and he doesn't seem to care.... I am lost! I've tried talking to him and he doesn't listen.

I need a husband to take care of me as I do him, I thought this was suppose to be a partnership not career. I would love to start having kids and be a stay at home mom. But that is not going to happen when I am essentially a full time single mother already....

·
Registered
422 Posts
I won't tell you what to do with your life, but I will tell what I am doing with mine.

* We should both have an income and a career.
* We should be able to support the household on one income like in the old days. The rest can go wealth accumulation and discretionary treats.
* We should both spend time caring for and bonding with any kids.
* There is nothing feminine about child-rearing and nothing masculine about making money at a desk job. Being a man is about what kind of frame you maintain in your relationship, not which tasks you check off the todo list.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Those are definitely must-have conversations prior to getting married. How many children, when, how will we raise them (religion/discipline/etc.), where do we want to raise them, who will stay home (or not).

There are times that those feelings do change or circumstances change but at least being on the same page when you enter into this contract puts you on better footing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you 100%, those are very wise points. My only issue is my husband does not care to be the man of the house or to make any decisions, he puts all responsibility on me, he never helps nor does he care to.

Let me ask you a question: When you are sick, who takes care of you? Do they go out of their way to do things for you, so you may take the time to rest and get better?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.