Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you doing for your significant other for valentines day?
What WOULD you like your significant other to do for you?
Does anyone decorate and actually get into Valentine’s Day?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Does anyone decorate and actually get into Valentine’s Day?
My wife and I don't do anything really special for Valentine's Day. It's a made up "holiday" and in my opinion it's the other 364 days of the year that count just as much in how you treat your significant other. I don't have any problem with those who go all out for Valentine's Day, but that's just not for us.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
His daughter’s birthday is on Valentine’s Day and she invited us both out to dinner. I’ve never really cared about it anyway so I said sure. I’m flattered she wants me there. So we’ll have a nice birthday celebration with her and then come back to his house for some time to ourselves. Perfect night!!

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
When I was married I would have preferred to ignore it because I view it as a day created to benefit retailers. However, my husband liked celebrating it in a very over-the-top way so I reciprocated.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
absolutely nothing. I have never acknowledged valentine's day and i don't intend to start now. I would like my wife to not mention it, not sulk about it and get over the incredibly stupid day.
this

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Valentine's Day? Yuk...

A consumerist day to shame and pressure men into spending money on crap no one needs and for women to flex their gifts on any other woman they come across.

I'll let the ladies in on a little secret. Most men put little real thought into what they buy you. They work off a price point and hope it is just a little more than your friends/sister receives. The same goes for jewelry.

I have a good friend whose family owns a florist. When I was younger I used to help out during the holidays taking orders, making deliveries and such. Maybe one out of a hundred men actually had more input than "uh, yeah...she likes roses," Almost without exception they indicated what they wanted to spend and asked if it was enough. Wasn't too hard for the female emp,oyees to convince them to double 9r even triple the budget they came in with.

The risky move was to send the arrangement to her workplace. This is a great idea when she is the only one getting flowers, but on Valentine's Day she won't be. If a coworker gets a bigger arrangement, candy, a stuffed animal, balloons, etc. and his lady didn't it would have been better if he sent nothing at all. I delivered many beautiful arrangements to offices only to see the obvious look of dissatisfaction. I could easily predict this outcome if I walked past a grander spread on someone else's desk on the way in.

As previously suggested, treat your partner right all year, not just when the American Marketing Association tell you to.

·
Registered
18,445 Posts
Wow, why the hate on for V-Day?

I mean, it's basically a freebie to buy your wife some lingerie and have a fun night. Costs you some flowers and a card or something. Maybe a small gift. Why is that so bad?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I do not care for the concept of valentines day. You should demonstrate your love and affections for your SO throughout the year.

That being said, I do use it as an excuse to take her out to dinner, and we get each other a gift. Last year she got a skillet and I got binoculars. This year she is getting socks, we'll see what I get.

·
Premium Member
5,290 Posts
I am Leslie Knope when it comes to celebrating holidays, so I have a policies and procedures binder and a 5 year plan on how to celebrate Valentines Day! LOL

Okay, maybe that is just a small exaggeration, but I don't "ignore" Valentines Day. We are going to make a fancy dinner together (we FAR prefer to make our dinners than to go out to eat), and we're having chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. I do have some secret presents for EB, but I'm not telling here because he can read ;)

Then next weekend we are making a day of it an doing a 5k "race" followed by brunch, then heading to the mountains for a sleigh ride followed by dinner.

Personally, I believe in being loving every day, all year long...but I don't object to picking one day to especially show my love.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Wow, why the hate on for V-Day?

I mean, it's basically a freebie to buy your wife some lingerie and have a fun night.......
Well, I have tried that in the past and got them thrown in my face. Some women has such body self image issues that anything implying sex simple is too threatening for them.

Yes, flowers. Yes, a movie. No to restaurants as they are way too crowded. Home with a bottle of wine and an Amazon firestick movie is not the plan.

For me V-day is a day of low expectations, that way I am not disapointed.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The absolute minimum required to not find myself in the doghouse.

Not. One. Damn. Thing.

I'm very much an actions-speak-louder kinda guy, so singling out a day of the year to proclaim my undying love cheapens the other 364 days when proclaiming my undying love comes in the form of a fully realized relationship.

However, how I see it is not the whole story, so some small token is required to keep the SO happy. Since I periodically bring home flowers during the year because they are always appreciated, it's not a stretch to pay 3x for the same during February. Throw in a nauseating card and call it good.

What I will not do is fight with the crowds at restaurants and other romantic getaways because the calendar says I should. We spent this last weekend away at the coast - that will have to do.

Oh, and as Dan Savage says - be sure to **** First before you go out for that big meal together. You're welcome.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
Dropping dollar bills on booze and strippers.
Hey Sam...are you ok? Was this just a joke? If not this is surely not you so thought I would check.

I literally may be dropping dollars on strippers because I’m so freaking bored and currently dateless that maybe seeing some honeys will cheer me up! Lolz

·
Banned
74 Posts
Absolutely nothing. I have never acknowledged Valentine's Day and I don't intend to start now. I would like my wife to not mention it, not sulk about it and get over the incredibly stupid day.
So are you saying that you have always knowingly refused to acknowledge a day that you knew your wife regarded as soecial?

How did you expect that to go over year after year?

·
Registered
944 Posts
So are you saying that you have always knowingly refused to acknowledge a day that you knew your wife regarded as special?

How did you expect that to go over year after year?
Yes, because it's a stupid day. Don't worry though, she found someone else to celebrate with and **** one Valentine's Day long ago. That started a 4 year long affair, so I guess she got a few more Valentine's Days out of it. Or I could celebrate a stupid holiday and the start of her affair all at once. That'd be fun!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Hey Sam...are you ok? Was this just a joke? If not this is surely not you so thought I would check.

I literally may be dropping dollars on strippers because I’m so freaking bored and currently dateless that maybe seeing some honeys will cheer me up! Lolz
Hey FW. Yeah, things have been going alright. This is not exactly a joke, as it has been a long while sice my wife and I went to a strip club, and she's been suggesting we go for a while now, and hey, what the hell :D

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
IMO: Valentine's Day causes performance anxiety in both male and female folks. Be sincere and honest. Be considerate. Say/write what is truth to you. Men want to be appreciated. Women want to be loved--at the minimum.

To me something involving good memories is more valuable than gold. This is not the time for a command performance, but just a genuine extra demonstration of affection.

Often folks expect what happened in a family of origin situation. My folks adored each other all their lives. This was an actual legacy of what might have been.

My ex made it clear that he thought our marriage was a mistake early on--any Valentine's Day expression from him was so that he could be admired by others. I've seen this addressed above here--sounds and is painful.

I know who loves me and who does not. I know who appreciates me and who does not. It is nice to get extra attention whether or not you 'know' it. A homemade coupon for a massage, for time off the usual grind, there are inexpensive ways to create a special feeling.

Calling V-Day a stupid day--It was often painful for me, I have no SO and expect nothing. But to me, this day is more about transmitting feelings than actions.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts