Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My husband admitted to a ONS very recently. He has, until this, been the most honest, reliable and trustworthy man I have ever known. I have known about it for about 3 weeks (of PTSD Hell: intrusive thoughts, nightmares, paranoia, insomnia, diarrhea, etc.), and I do not even know how to begin process this situation.

We were married very young (I was 18 and he was 19). I have never had sex with another person. He had several partners before we were married and now this random stranger. I thought we were married “happily enough”, but if I had a good enough reason to leave, I could leave him…and the one he provided me was a doozy.

The circumstances are seriously UNBELIEVABLE:
Two days before our 27th wedding anniversary, I was out of town for work. He was upset with me on a bedtime phone call, so he drove the 20 minutes into town to a bar at about 10:30pm, where as TOGETHER, we normally LEAVE places to be HOME by 10:00pm, because he always has to get up early for work the next day. According to him, he was drunk before he even left for the bar. He claims that he “didn’t know that purchasing drinks for this woman meant that he wanted to sleep with her”. He also “didn’t realize” that she was interested in sex until he said he was leaving and she asked if he wanted to go somewhere. He asked what she meant (yeah right!) and she had already been rubbing his inner thigh, but now touched his junk and told him he knew what she meant. He then said that he knew of a place and told her to follow him! Then they both drove 10 minutes away from the bar, where they had UNPROTECTED sex in her car in a deserted parking lot.

He told me all of this A MONTH AFTER it happened. (The timing was suspicious, but he says it had been eating him up all month and he “never found a good time to tell me”. I had suddenly been experiencing something like the WORST yeast infection of my life that I couldn’t shake...We have since both been tested—all clear—a month AFTER THE FACT. He tested BEFORE he told me so that he “would have all the answers for my questions when he told me, which means everyone in our doctor’s office knew before I did, and before I was tested!!!)

I did leave him the day he told me. I stayed with a relative for 3 days. I returned home on the premise that he agreed to leave. He has been agreeable. Because of his efforts, I allowed him to stay and though I am abusing him often with my angry words, it is also nice to let him hold me from time to time. This is messing with my head though. The one who ran my heart through a meat-grinder is the same one comforting me. (Is that screwed up or what?!)

There is no way to find this woman and I am severely angry and obsessed. He makes no excuses, says he has no idea why he did this, and that it has nothing to do with me. (Pretty hard to believe in light of the circumstances.) He is remorseful and just wants me to heal and return to our now “better than before” relationship.

I am just not sure what I really want or whether I can forgive this at all. As I said, I have never had sex with anyone else and have always been curious, but have not acted on my curiosity. He says the sex was meaningless (which makes no sense if the same act is supposedly meaningful with me). I almost feel that if I TRY to have “meaningless sex” with another man and CANNOT go through with it, (which I don’t think I even could), that means he is the most despicable pig on the planet to have been able to do that to me, and I should just leave him even though he really is trying to make amends. If I COULD go through with it, that might mean that it is just human nature and that I could forgive him. He had given me his blessing, but fears that I will find that the grass TRULY IS greener on the other side, which I doubt. I think I the experiment would only teach me that I probably cannot and should not forgive him.

We are already in counseling, both together and separately.

I am thinking a short, scheduled separation might remind me of the person I used to be before all of this and what I now am beginning to see was our depressing marriage.

Unfortunately, I feel like I don’t really have a choice but to forgive him. I don’t know any other life, and maybe the grass is worse on the other side, but I never had the chance to even sample it, so I wouldn’t know if I am missing anything or if I already have the best option for me—despite his horrible and DEBILITATING betrayal. I do believe that because of my COMPLETE DEVASTATION I do still love him; but if I want to stay with him, is it because I do still love him and WANT to be with him or because I DON’T KNOW HOW to live without him? How will I even know? I do not think I can make an informed decision. I am not even sure I CAN forgive this!!!!!

Any advice?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
You need to figure out why he told you. I don’t want to scare you but he could have caught an std or in the worst case scenario the other woman is pregnant. Or someone could be blackmailing him.
Insist on him getting tested and make sure you get tested yourself. And don’t sleep with him until you are both in the clear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is no way to find this woman and I am severely angry and obsessed. He is remorseful and just wants me to heal and return to our “better than before” relationship.
Yeah, sorry, fat chance of that happening. If he's serious, he should change that kind of thinking. It's going to be a completely new and different marriage. There's no way you can go back to a 'better than before' relationship. And if you plan on staying with him, pay attention to his actions. His actions will hold more weight than his words.

It also isn't too late to sample a life outside of him. How about you do something for yourself for a change? Perhaps you should take that scheduled separation and find out what you really want going forward.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My husband admitted to a ONS very recently. He has, until this, been the most honest, reliable and trustworthy man I have ever known. I have known about it for about 3 weeks (of PTSD Hell: intrusive thoughts, nightmares, paranoia, insomnia, diarrhea, etc.), and I do not even know how to begin process this situation.

We were married very young (I was 18 and he was 19). I have never had sex with another person. He had several partners before we were married and now this random stranger. I thought we were married “happily enough”, but if I had a good enough reason to leave, I could leave him…and the one he provided me was a doozy.

The circumstances are seriously UNBELIEVABLE:
Two days before our 27th wedding anniversary, I was out of town for work. He was upset with me on a bedtime phone call, so he drove the 20 minutes into town to a bar at about 10:30pm, where as TOGETHER, we normally LEAVE places to be HOME by 10:00pm, because he always has to get up early for work the next day. According to him, he was drunk before he even left for the bar. He claims that he “didn’t know that purchasing drinks for this woman meant that he wanted to sleep with her”. He also “didn’t realize” that she was interested in sex until he said he was leaving and she asked if he wanted to go somewhere. He asked what she meant (yeah right!) and she had already been rubbing his inner thigh, but now touched his junk and told him he knew what she meant. He then said that he knew of a place and told her to follow him! Then they both drove 10 minutes away from the bar, where they had UNPROTECTED sex in her car in a deserted parking lot.

He told me all of this A MONTH AFTER it happened. (The timing was suspicious, but he says it had been eating him up all month and he “never found a good time to tell me”. I had suddenly been experiencing something like the WORST yeast infection of my life that I couldn’t shake...We have since both been tested—all clear—a month AFTER THE FACT. He tested BEFORE he told me so that he “would have all the answers for my questions when he told me, which means everyone in our doctor’s office knew before I did, and before I was tested!!!)

I did leave him the day he told me. I stayed with a relative for 3 days. I returned home on the premise that he agreed to leave. He has been agreeable. Because of his efforts, I allowed him to stay and though I am abusing him often with my angry words, it is also nice to let him hold me from time to time. This is messing with my head though. The one who ran my heart through a meat-grinder is the same one comforting me. (Is that screwed up or what?!)

There is no way to find this woman and I am severely angry and obsessed. He makes no excuses, says he has no idea why he did this, and that it has nothing to do with me. (Pretty hard to believe in light of the circumstances.) He is remorseful and just wants me to heal and return to our now “better than before” relationship.

I am just not sure what I really want or whether I can forgive this at all. As I said, I have never had sex with anyone else and have always been curious, but have not acted on my curiosity. He says the sex was meaningless (which makes no sense if the same act is supposedly meaningful with me). I almost feel that if I TRY to have “meaningless sex” with another man and CANNOT go through with it, (which I don’t think I even could), that means he is the most despicable pig on the planet to have been able to do that to me, and I should just leave him even though he really is trying to make amends. If I COULD go through with it, that might mean that it is just human nature and that I could forgive him. He had given me his blessing, but fears that I will find that the grass TRULY IS greener on the other side, which I doubt. I think I the experiment would only teach me that I probably cannot and should not forgive him.

We are already in counseling, both together and separately.

I am thinking a short, scheduled separation might remind me of the person I used to be before all of this and what I now am beginning to see was our depressing marriage.

Unfortunately, I feel like I don’t really have a choice but to forgive him. I don’t know any other life, and maybe the grass is worse on the other side, but I never had the chance to even sample it, so I wouldn’t know if I am missing anything or if I already have the best option for me—despite his horrible and DEBILITATING betrayal. I do believe that because of my COMPLETE DEVASTATION I do still love him; but if I want to stay with him, is it because I do still love him and WANT to be with him or because I DON’T KNOW HOW to live without him? How will I even know? I do not think I can make an informed decision. I am not even sure I CAN forgive this!!!!!

Any advice?
@Woundidwife I’m sorry you’re going through this and that you have such a loser husband.

Seperation is a reasonable for a betrayed spouse because you need to put a buffer between your attacker and you so that you can think clearly. You need quiet space to process and deal with your hurt. It may indeed aid in killing your marriage, but it will also aid in showing you loser husband that what he did was serious and has serious consequences.

Its his job to help you heal, it’s not your job to “get over it”. If he’s not doing that then he gets the boot. Start with that (getting the boot) and then you're in the driver’s seat.

See a lawyer and file for divorce. Seperate. Then let’s see if he’s serious.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
Uh, what?

Making up stories, again.
Beat that narrative horse. 🙄 Not predictable at all. Also, you’re thread jacking.

Isn’t “trickle truth” recognized as fact around here? This isn’t the first time it’s happened, this is the first time he got caught.

Be honest, any other poster and you’d be reacting very differently, wouldn’t you? Any other poster who said “cheaters lie and what they’re confessing is the tip of the iceberg” and you would agree. What’s different here? You had nothing to say when a different poster told her to separate and start the process of divorce but you’re calling me a liar for saying what many others have said in similar situations?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Beat that narrative horse. 🙄 Not predictable at all

Isn’t “trickle truth” recognized as fact around here? This isn’t the first time it’s happened, this is the first time he got caught.

Be honest, any other poster and you’d be reacting very differently, wouldn’t you? Any other poster who said “cheaters lie and what they’re confessing is the tip of the iceberg” and you would agree. What’s different here?
There is a difference between "he may be lying and here's why/prepare for more" and saying it as fact - which you do over and over.

·
Registered
21,602 Posts
Hey @Woundidwife , I'm really sorry you have been exposed to this ridiculous infidelity.

If I read it right, you are clear from STDs but what an asshat he is to expose you.

It isn't up to me to tell you what path to take but your husband has obviously developed some serious problem since this seems out of left field for him.

He needs to get to the bottom of his malfunction and you need to look out for your own well being. That might mean reconciliation or going a different path but you could probably use your own counseling as you seem very traumatized (perfectly normal and understandable BTW) by your husband's betrayal.

He did fess up so there is that. Most spouses who do a one off take it to their grave.

Give yourself some time and space to stop your head spinning and make a healthy decision for yourself.

There are some who have reconciled from much worse here and maybe you can get some good information from them.

@No Longer Lonely Husband is a healthy reconciler you can check out though he is a badass marine. LoL!

I'm actually coming up short for women who reconciled on this site but there are several stories here with valuable insights for everyone.

I didn't see it mentioned but do you have children?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I really don’t think it has happened before, but this whole situation seems so extreme, so deliberate and intentional that I am really struggling…
Yeah, sorry OP there's a bit of a personality clash going on over this specific point.

But you do have to consider that this might not be his first time. Everything right now is suspect as you are aware. Don't believe what he says unless you can verify it. At least don't take things as the full truth. I think that's the point here, guard yourself. This could get worse.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
I really don’t think it has happened before, but this whole situation seems so extreme, so deliberate and intentional that I am really struggling…
It’s understandable. I don’t mean to sound so harsh, I apologize for that. Look, many times cheaters lie about a lot. It’s very possible that what you know is only the beginning. I wouldn’t close your eyes, I would carefully think about everything he’s done in the past and what he’s doing now and be sure you’re really opening your eyes. And I would get yourself tested for STDs, just to be safe. At this point he wants to save the status quo. Trust your gut.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Na of

Oh please, that’s a pathetic stretch and you didn’t even answer my question. Stop threadjacking the OP’s thread because you don’t like me.
Okay, stop making up stories then crying thread jack because you don't like me and think we're all out to get you (point proven in your response to this). Deal?

Oh, and I didn't answer your question because you'd just accuse me of lying because I'm a man.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
Okay, stop making up stories then crying thread jack because you don't like me and think we're all out to get you. Deal?

Oh, and I didn't answer your question because you'd just accuse me of lying because I'm a man.
I never said a single thing to back up anything you’ve said here. If any other poster said what I said you’d have left it alone. You’re attacking me because you want to pick a fight and have me banned. You saw my name on a post and started screaming “man hater”. Probably didn’t even read what I posted.

·
Premium Member
6,813 Posts
He says he now realizes how much he loves me. I am pissed that THIS is what it took to become the man I always wanted him to be. Not sure how to begin forgiveness—if I even can.
Oh honey all cheaters say this. Something like “sleeping with this other person made me realize how much I love you.” Only you can decide but it sure sounds like a line to me. Do you think he would accept that from you if the roles were reversed?

1 - 20 of 264 Posts