Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Trees are too tall to pick up dish, it can be done with a lot of cable and wires everywhere, so its no longer an option. Phone line (4) and Ethernet jack (1) nowhere near where we want a tv are run into the house, having phone service and high speed turned on Friday.

So does anyone have internet tv through a phone line to their internet capable tv?

P.S. Minus the tv issue, I love it here :)

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
The only way I know how to do that is through vudu, amazon or netflix . You pay a small fee per month to get movies or tv shows. Vudu is tv, amazon is tv/movies and Netflix is of course mostly movies.

For $40 a month you could do all 3. These are not new tv shows and you won't get all of them. For me it's enough of a selection to keep me and the kids entertained. We didn't go that way because my husband prefers traditional cable.

Can you not get non dish cable? Here we have Comcast.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And with those services, do you have to go through an ISP.. as in our local phone company offers high speed internet, but it seems high.. $79 for enough bandwidth to stream movies.. its over fiber optic. Is that typical or can you get high speed through a third party company using the local phone lines, so then all we need is local phone service?

Comcast serves the other side of the interstate.. lol. Seriously, this is such a small town that the local phone company has a manual application for service... can't do it online, well you can sort of.. you can print it out and take it there or mail it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
this might not be an option where you live, I'm in the country. I took a 22 rifle to the branches that was blocking my dish reception. Just need a scope, a box of bullets,and a little time.

Reactions: Matt1720

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Netflix, Amazon, hulu plus

I would suggest getting a Roku....tons of pay and free streaming services.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this might not be an option where you live, I'm in the country. I took a 22 rifle to the branches that was blocking my dish reception. Just need a scope, a box of bullets,and a little time.
Yeah.. that was suggested by the dish guy.. if you know anything about our marriage, guns are not an option ;). Nah.. we are thinking of just streaming programs we typically watch, instead of having a ton of channels we just don't use. We want to be able to get Dora, umizoomi, Disney, kid stuff. and then the NFL games, but only two teams do we even care seeing.. I'm sure NFL has something through the internet, and then maybe some network channels.. but that's all we need. We don't have time for any movies yet.. I can't remember the last time we sat and enjoyed a movie.. pre twins maybe.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Netflix, Amazon, hulu plus

I would suggest getting a Roku....tons of pay and free streaming services.

Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't know anything like the roku existed.. that thing is pretty cool.. I picked one up last night and just signed up for a subscription to netflix. Internet guy is coming in an hour :)

One thing that's surprising is the cost! This little box only cost $39 (wally special) and as long as you've got high speed internet, that's it.. that's the cost! You can get a lot of free stuff. And then I was amazed at a netflix monthly cost, 7.99. And the roku thing doesn't need to be attached to the internet service. its freaking wireless and you just attach it to a tv, virtually any tv! And it's 3 inch by 3 inch and is an inch tall.

If you're a student living on campus with free WiFi or anywhere with free WiFi, tv would be pretty cheap :).

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's DirecTV or nothing for me. Some other outlets finally got the NFL Network, but I have had it for years sine it started. And no oe else can get the NFL package but DTV.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
we get internet and tv service through our phone company. You might see if they offer it in your area.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we get internet and tv service through our phone company. You might see if they offer it in your area.
We ended up getting high speed through the local phone company.. seems a bit pricey for local phone service and internet at right around $100.

We're just gonna plug the laptop up to the tv for NFL and other things we can't get without cable/satellite. Tested it out with survivor off of CBS's website. Not crystal clear, but it solves the issue :). For other programming we got that roku thing.. and a 7.99 subscription to netflix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.