Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, my boyfriend randomly decided he wanted to go "look at wedding rings" (his words exactly) and he not only nudged me into every jeweler at the mall, he hunted down the department in WalMart and insisted I show him what I like. Well, out of all the stores we saw that night, I found the most BEAUTIFUL ring shaped like a star/snowflake/flower (it's interpretive, lol!) at Walmart that just couldn't be topped. I didn't care it was less than $100, to me it's about the design and not the rock.

I did everything I could to not bring it up again after that night, since we've been engaged before over a year ago and I was such a bridezilla, he convinced himself he was gay and we were done in a week. Long story short there, he was very unhappy and confessed he knew that in his heart, I was and always will be his love, the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with, have a family and home with, etc. In the effort to do things RIGHT and not repeat the past mistakes, I've refrained from even mentioning the "m" word unless it's in reference to his sister's engagement or my friend's, for whom I am maid of honor.

Tonight he gave me the ring I picked out, and while I am ecstatic to have something so beautiful on my finger....there was no proposal. Absolutely nothing referenced marriage, engagements, or even "promise" in regards to the ring; it is my Christmas present. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have it and that he was so generous, but....wasn't this the ring I picked out as my perfect, ideal engagement ring? And shouldn't such a ring be paired with a certain question?

Maybe he has plans for later, maybe he will get a different ring, but I don't know how guys process this sort of thing. My mother is dying to know if we're engaged now, but I refuse to ask him since I do not want a Bridezilla 2: The Proposal! So the car ride home was quiet, for him because he was very tired and for me because I was concentrating on not asking him what the ring means.

Help!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
No proposal or agreement to wed means the ring is just a ring.

Imo, of course.

·
Administrator
44,454 Posts
That_girl has a very good point.

What was the price range of the rings he originally took you to see? Surely they were well over what the one you have cost.

Sounds like he was just thrilled to get you something that you fell in love with. Lucky you.

If it were me, I would still ask him... the in most un-bridezilla fashion of course. If you are not able to find a way to tell him that you love the ring but are confused so you want some clarification... then there are serious problems in your relationship. You need to be able to discuss anything with the man you marry.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just use the ring, not on your ring finger.
It is just a gift. For you to look prettier.
Nothing more than that, so don't push him into marriage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.