Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. It has been one month since the day the truth came out. DH had a physical affair. We talked about it, we are staying together and moving forward. We knew our marriage was getting bad before the affair happened. We are now working on our marriage and actually it is 90% better then it has been in like a year. The biggest problem was we never communicated anything. Now, we communicate everything. We are so much more open and it has made everything better. I have forgiven him for his actions.

How do you deal with triggers? I dont know what all my triggers are. But I do know some are songs and whatnot. But I can just be sitting on the couch and BAM it hits me out of no where, creeps into my mind and I dwell on it until I want to box. :D When you are faced with a trigger, what do you do to avoid getting upset all over again? Most of the time, when I am at home and get hit with a trigger, I just get sad, at the fact that it happened and at the fact that I cant forget it. When I see the TRAMP out in public, I get angry and want to box. What is the best way to deal with both the angry triggers and the sad triggers?

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Robin...from my experience, being 7 months from Dday I still get a trigger now and then. It does get better, however, sometimes the triggers are things I may never have thought about. Luckily, songs are NOT one of my triggers. Which is good cuz I love music. My triggers are places. I literally have to drive past 3 hotels where my wife was with the xOM during her affair. In the beginning, it was really hard to drive. Now, it has definitely gotten a lot easier. However, once maybe every couple weeks I'll get triggered as I go by. I talk to her after we get home and get out my feelings.

That is all you can really do. You can NOT try to control the triggers. Just know that they will ease up eventually. You sound a lot like my wife and I that communication was one of our biggest issues. Now, communication is all the time and about everything! It is full circle from what it used to be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate how we got here, but I'm glad this is where we are.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate how we got here, but I'm glad this is where we are.
Good luck to you!
Thanks! It helps so much to hear that other people are dealing with the same thing and making it work. That we can make it work.

Right now I know my biggest trigger is that SHE lives at the end of our street. We live on a dead end, so there is only one way out, drive by her house. Plus I see her at the bus stop sometimes when she is getting her kids, Im usually walking passed to get my kid from a different place, but I still see her. We are fixing to move away from here and I hope that this move will help ELIMINATE a lot of those triggers.

I couldnt agree more with your quote. I hate that it took THIS to get our marriage back on track but Im glad that it is..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello,
I am also 7 mos. past D Day. There are many triggers since I our bed was one of the places (twice, who's counting). I also refuse to ever stay at a Best Western since that was the hotel of choice. I have read mulitple recovery books/courses since. One piece of advice I read was to picture the images as a framed piece in a musuem and to visualize it being at the end of a very long dimly lit hall with only candles around it. This makes it difficult to see the details and eventually makes it harder to see the image in your mind. As far as physical visual triggers such as locations etc. I just did some deep breathing and focused on my present not on the past. There is no easy way and just mere time passing does not magically heal. Find any image that calms you and replace the feeling from the trigger with the feeling you get from waterfalls, sunsets etc.
We are also working thru and repairing our marriage. He is genuine as am I, but even with both of us doing the 'right" things as per the experts, it is still hard, and there are some day I would rather just cry for a few hours before I get up.
This is a time for great reflection and self growth too. It sucks but hopefully you will feel much better as a whole once the raw feelings begin to be less vivid.
Best wishes to you and let yourself heal -
SDCott

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
Wow. She lives on your street. F'ng OUCH! That's gotta be tough. I mean, the closest thing I had was that we bought a snowblower from a guy who lives a couple houses down from her xOM. We sold it a couple weeks ago. For MORE than we paid!!! LOL

About a move. Yes, I believe truly that will be a HUGE help for you. For example, my wife (her name is Regret214 on the forums here) met the xOM here at my house in our basement bedroom for the first year and a half of a 5 year affair. I can't tell you what a move would mean to me. Matter of fact, I'll be looking into short selling our house this week cuz we just want the heck outta here and the ghosts that haunt me.

I wish you strength and peace!

·
Registered
877 Posts
"Sitting on the couch and BAM it hits me," Boy Do I know that feeling. I probably trigger more on the couch than anywhere. I think because things are calm and settled and your mind starts to wonder. At 1 month out your probably doing this a lot, it's still VERY fresh for you.

I am 5 months out and it's better. However, I still get the images, thoughts, mind movies etc daily on and off. It's painful. My wife is usually there with me when it happens, or she is quickly there soon after because she is so in tuned to me she knows when I am having a hard time. She will talk it out with me, that's all you can do, express those feelings to your spouse, DO NOT hold them in.

If your spouse is truly remorseful they will be there for you, talk with you and comfort you.

It will get better and easier with time, but you still have a ways to go, so just hang in there and keep doing what's your doing and you will make it. You are not alone in this, there are many of us in R (reconciliation) and we ALL deal with this issue.

Are you all in counseling of any kind? you might want to consider it.

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
B1...I think Robin might wanna take a gander at your gigantic thread called "Reconciliation". There is soooo much healing going on there and man oh, man...I gotta say it is THE thread I look at every single day on TAM. Even if I don't post. I read it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
2yrs out. They don't come as hard or near as often, but they come.
They don't drop me to my knees anymore. I refuse to let them ruin my day anymore.

Reactions: EI

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
CSS...it doesn't work for all, I was told by my IC this week that he cannot understand how I have the strength to deal with Regret's 5 year long affair and not have killed someone by now.

The way I deal with the triggers is almost simplistic. I let it run it's course. Then I meditate. I've studied Zen since I was a teenager, so about 30 years. I visualize Regret and I in our simpler times when we first met. I visualize the woman who I met...the woman who she has found again.

He has to try NOT to control the triggers. To let them pass. They suck moose balls. They really do. But he will get better.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
CSS...it doesn't work for all, I was told by my IC this week that he cannot understand how I have the strength to deal with Regret's 5 year long affair and not have killed someone by now.

The way I deal with the triggers is almost simplistic. I let it run it's course. Then I meditate. I've studied Zen since I was a teenager, so about 30 years. I visualize Regret and I in our simpler times when we first met. I visualize the woman who I met...the woman who she has found again.

He has to try NOT to control the triggers. To let them pass. They suck moose balls. They really do. But he will get better.
Hey thanks, that's the most advice we've been able to get so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
2,234 Posts
CSS...tell yer boy to PM me any time he's in that dark place. Heck! Anyone on this site PM me if you ever get into a trigger that you feel you can't cope with. I swear to you and all that is Holy that I will do my utmost to help you through it.

Triggers suck A$$!!! I've worked a TON through them. I've come out better on the other side. I ain't perfect. But I am effective!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts

They would come and it seemed trying to control them just made them grow. It took a long time but I learned to let them ride...but on my terms. Doesn't mean I don't get pissed though, just not redline anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone. Such great info and help. I'm going to reply to each of you once I get on the computer. Just wanted to say thank you now!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello,
I am also 7 mos. past D Day. There are many triggers since I our bed was one of the places (twice, who's counting). I also refuse to ever stay at a Best Western since that was the hotel of choice. I have read mulitple recovery books/courses since. One piece of advice I read was to picture the images as a framed piece in a musuem and to visualize it being at the end of a very long dimly lit hall with only candles around it. This makes it difficult to see the details and eventually makes it harder to see the image in your mind. As far as physical visual triggers such as locations etc. I just did some deep breathing and focused on my present not on the past. There is no easy way and just mere time passing does not magically heal. Find any image that calms you and replace the feeling from the trigger with the feeling you get from waterfalls, sunsets etc.
We are also working thru and repairing our marriage. He is genuine as am I, but even with both of us doing the 'right" things as per the experts, it is still hard, and there are some day I would rather just cry for a few hours before I get up.
This is a time for great reflection and self growth too. It sucks but hopefully you will feel much better as a whole once the raw feelings begin to be less vivid.
Best wishes to you and let yourself heal -
SDCott
I like the idea of replacing the bad throughts/imagines with something happier. Maybe carrying a family picture with me and when the trigger catches me, I can look at the picture and think about happier times and how much I love my fmaily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow. She lives on your street. F'ng OUCH!
Yes and we actually started out as "friends." Her H and mine started hanging out and I had a bad feeling from the first time she & I hung out. Not that she was a tramp but just an odd feeling.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, my triggers have gotten pretty bad.

I've had crying triggers at work that are very embarrassing...

What I did was usually blamed allergies.

But I found ways to deal with it was to try and create some happy memories with my wife.
And I try to remember those when I have one come up.

Like several days ago at work, something almost got to me, and probably would've made me ball up.
But I didn't focus on the hurt and the pain.
I thought back to the weekend before, where my wife, and I, and some business friends, went swing dancing (I know, old fashion but it was a lot of fun)
And I was able to shake it, and it made me actually feel better. Knowing we had shared that moment, and were having fun, and were getting around it.

Honestly though, the best cure is just time. It is the best healer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"She will talk it out with me, that's all you can do, express those feelings to your spouse, DO NOT hold them in.
If your spouse is truly remorseful they will be there for you, talk with you and comfort you.
Are you all in counseling of any kind? you might want to consider it.
We do talk about things, a lot. When I had a real hard time and he is at work, I email him and he emails me back. We havent done any counseling yet. I have thought of it and it may be an option down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how I have the strength to deal with Regret's 5 year long affair and not have killed someone by now.

You are incredible strong for sticking it out after a 5 yr affair! Props to you and LMAO about the moose balls!:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.