Talk About Marriage banner
481 - 500 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Wow I am so sorry. Have you thought about reporting your former lawyer to the bar association?
I need to.

However I may wait until this mess I'm in is done in case I need historical data from him.

My new lawyer has requested a transcript from the Judge regarding the monies I am to return to the "Marital" account. Neither lawyer seems to remember exactly what was said.

Do I put it back on our "Joint" account to do I need to get it directly to SBTX?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
My new lawyer has requested a transcript from the Judge regarding the monies I am to return to the "Marital" account. Neither lawyer seems to remember exactly what was said.

Do I put it back on our "Joint" account to do I need to get it directly to SBTX?
Umm yikes seems like your new lawyer isn't better than your former one! Who is filing the journal entry as a result of the hearing? You, her, or the judge? That should have all the court orders. Who is bearing the cost of the transcript because the lawyers either can't remember or failed to make a clear record? WTH?!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I need to.

However I may wait until this mess I'm in is done in case I need historical data from him.

Reading through some of this thread, YIKES man! it goes back to 2012, what a horrible 7 1/2 years for you...

My advice for you going forward, regarding your divorce:

1) attorneys are all busy, and family lawyers are not typically the "best and brightest" of the profession. Even a competent family lawyer is not going to prepare very well for their avg. case, especially one like this, where the assets at stake are in the lower five figures.

2) SO, you're going to need to shoulder more of the burden of reading and remembering things than you might like. Read through all the filings, and keep track of all the numbers. If something doesn't make sense to you, you need to raise your hand and ask someone to explain it. While you can't do this in open court, you can in mediations or in between hearings; and before each of these key junctures, you need to do your own due diligence.

3) if you know there's a deadline for something, and you haven't heard a peep from your attorney, email or call them a day or two in advance, and ask for an update... like "Hey, I know we have the hearing/mediation/etc., coming up, and I just wanted to check if you need anything else from me." or " I am a little concerned over XYZ" You may need to follow up twice.

4) Remember, even if you think "I'm not a lawyer"... all the law is, is the written word. It should all make sense to everyone, and if it doesn't, there could be an issue there everyone is overlooking.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Also, I wouldn't waste time trying to sue your former attorney. No sense trying to squeeze blood from a rock.

If - after this is resolved - you're still sore over his counsel, you can file a complaint about his conduct to the state bar. You're going to need to prepare examples.

In this case though, just sounds like he was sloppy, not that he did anything actionable for them.

Typically, they don't sanction an attorney unless it resulted in a clear-cut bad outcome for the client, like he missed a hearing completely and the judge ruled against you because of it.

be prepared to be disappointed again, is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I would have your new lawyer focus on getting the restraining order squashed as it is now affecting your job. That needs to take focus.

In addition, they should get the documentation updated that you HAVE received it so that you don't have to go through that every time.

Why do they care in Canada? Does your wife live there?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
I would have your new lawyer focus on getting the restraining order squashed as it is now affecting your job. That needs to take focus.

In addition, they should get the documentation updated that you HAVE received it so that you don't have to go through that every time.

Why do they care in Canada? Does your wife live there?
I have no idea why it caused an issue crossing back in the USA.

My friend and I are going to Canada after work today and then circling around to go talk to the US Border Patrol to make sure it does not happen again. I need to go back to Ontario for work Monday and don't need this extra aggravation.

I'm assuming I was picked because the system showed that I was never served. Hopefully I can get things cleared up today.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
Update -

My friend and I purposely drove to Canada border around 5pm yesterday, we crossed and turned around for the US border to see why I was detained last Friday.

We went inside the border patrol office and they told me its their "policy" to inspect/pull over all who have PPO's against them and there is absolutely nothing I can do. The agent told me that it will be quick, however still an issue if I have someone with me for work. He said, "you will be asked, is your wife with you?". I say no and I'm on my way. Still a HUGE pain the ass to have to stop every time.

So today at 11AM I have a face to face with my new lawyer.

Happy Thursday!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
How did you make out???? I really hope your lawyer was more forceful (i.e. SHARK) than your last and had all the work done before getting to court...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
So -

I was in court for 4 hours.

My new lawyer was the BEST! She walked in and OWNED the courtroom!

Both lawyers went behind closed doors and talked for 30 minutes.

When they came out there was a list of a few items for future discussion:

1. STBX wants 18 months alimony!!!!! I DO NOT AGREE!!!

2. Home appraisal will be coming soon. Once she does hers, if I don't like it I can get my own.

3. I need to hand over the $6K (half of what my dad left my in his will) to her next week. HOWEVER...the judgement says reserved. Sooooo this means, from what I am told, that a final decision has not been made. So if she spends it all that's a dumb move.

4. We need to pick a mediator.

5. Next date - July 25.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
How did you make out with the restraining order?

Well, again there is 2.

One from STBX and one from her daughter.

The STBX one is in reserve for discussion at a later date i.e. divorce time. There is talk that her lawyer will request restraining order only (Drop PPO).

The daughters stood. My old lawyer (that I fired) did not object to it so it stands for a year.

I will need to fight this if possible after my divorce.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I saw the stbx last night at a local festival. She was dancing and having a great time.

I’m sad. I don’t know why.
Guess what? If she saw you out there dancing and having a good time she'd be sad. Or mad, one of the two. Either way, get out there and have a good time. Fake it 'til you make it.

481 - 500 of 536 Posts