Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has an eating / sugar problem. She has gained over 50 lbs from our wedding date 15 years ago, and she has already destroyed most of her teeth. Granted, she inherited soft teeth, but she certainly has exacerbated the problem.

She was drinking about 2 litres a day of sugar coke. About six weeks ago, I asked her to stop buying coke and other sugary drinks. She told me that she can't stop drinking them and she continued as usual, with perhaps a small reduction.

Last night I took all bottles of coke and placed them in the dumpster. This morning she asked me where they were and I told her. I told her that I love her so much that I threw the coke away. I also told her that if she brings it into the house again, then I will again throw it away.

I am doing this for her benefit, and also mine. If she is able to reduce sugar intake, then she will feel better and be healthier. That is also good for me.

This is a stretch for me. For most of our marriage, I dealt with her depression and unhealthy habits by trying to make things easier for her. In retrospect, I have really been her enabler and that is wrong.

Comments? 2x4's?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Do you really think that will work, because i don't, i do see your point, but she has to want to do it, alas i fear she doesn't, then what?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will it work? Maybe yes and maybe no.

It is a concrete action, and in turn a strong message to her.

Perhaps it is the worst possible thing to do, except for continuing with the status-quo.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dr Oz recently said that more than 2 soft drinks a week contribute to stomach cancer. By all means throw the crap out, it's worth a try.
Do you have spring water or lemonade or something else for her to drink?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If she is in agreement with that, you probably need to substitute something positive in return for giving up the habit. She may need to replace the caffeine load if she was drinking caffeinated soda, she can do this with caffeine tablets, you'll have to do some math to figure it out, but probably it's something that has to be weaned off over time.

I hope she appreciates the risk you took. She should be able to realize that it's an act of desperation and honest fear, rather than a mean and abusive control maneuver.

Maybe you guys can go together to some kind of step-wise program.

·
Banned
8,908 Posts
She came to you, and asked you to help her with her pop issue. You didn't just artibrarily decide to throw it away on her. I think you're supporting her in a strong manner, letting her know that you're behind her 100%, even if she's faltered a bit.

C

·
Banned
788 Posts
Throwing the soda in the dumpster is rather extreme.

I'd leave it in the refrigerator but blockade the entrance to the kitchen with cinderblocks mortered together with heavy duty cement, leaving just enough space for a thin person to fit through.

That will motivate her to lose the weight and avoid sugary drinks and foods. By the time she fits through the space in the blocks she probably won't even want the soda anymore because she'll love the way she looks and feels.

·
Registered
212 Posts
my ex wife also had depression and a coke addiction. 2L a day also.
just needed the sugar/caffiene hit, her counsellor told her to kill the habit. she didnt. she went from 50k.g to 85 k.g in 3 years, thats to much.

now where seperated i think shes down to one can a day, good on her

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Pour a can of Coke on your car's engine and watch it do its magic. It's amazing how much the acid cleans and shines up the engine.

Sick.

2 liters? Dear god. :eek:

Make a bet with her. Have her go 30 days without soda....to see how she feels. Figure out what to bet...I have no ideas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd leave it in the refrigerator but blockade the entrance to the kitchen with cinderblocks mortered together with heavy duty cement, leaving just enough space for a thin person to fit through.
Love it! Where were you when I needed you? :smthumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, so good. She was frantic at first, and to be frank, I was also quite nervous. Her mood was just fine last night and this morning.

My father NEVER would have confronted my mother like that, so this is NOT natural to me. Rather, it is outside of my comfort zone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.