·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more smoking.
I hate the filthy ba**ards.
So im putting it out on the forum for my anonymous friends that as of now
I QUIT.
i have tried patches, lozenges, e cigs, gum everything.
I went cold turkey for 20 hours and broke and im really mad at myself. Im surrounded by smokers.
Im doing it cold turkey because i read once on this forum that the only real way to stop is unrelenting abstinence. And that makes perfect sense to me.
So i quit.
Hold me to it, forum mates. Any words of advice or wisdom would be very welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I did the same thing recently - my post was called "I don't want to quit smoking". My last smoke was on January 6 :)

I won't lie, I just about have lost it a few times. But cold turkey IS the best way, and so is asking others to hold you accountable. Get your spouse, your kids, your coworkers, everyone, on board with it, and make them promise to give you SUPREME **** if you even THINK about having 'just one'.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Same with me naga.Don't forget to change up some of your routines.Good luck man.:smthumbup:

Reactions: OldGirl

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good choice.

I did it a few years back. It may be obvious advice but don't hang around people that smoke. It may be difficult depending on your work life and social circle but it will be worth it.

One less temptation.

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
I told myself and W that quitting smoking is a process not an event. And when I felt like crap I'd say, would a smoke right now really make me feel better?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Best of luck. I need to quit as well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing well so far, keepin myself busy.
Whenever i want a cig i picture myself breaking some chains that are shackled to me.
That visualization is working pretty well. I havent really started jonesing so far today. Thanks for the wishes everyone!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Good on you! I gave up in 2001 after smoking for about 19 years.

I kept a list on me at all times... it had on it about 20 reasons I wanted to stop smoking... I kept it in my purse and looked at it anytime i felt weak also tell everyone you no longer smoke...it makes it harder to go back to smoking when you've made it public.

You can do this!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will keep trying until i get it done.
I dont let it get me down if i have one, i just need to get to the right frame of mind and FOCUS.
Which is kinda hard. My life has suffered some upheaval lately lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
Keep it going Naga, I quit CT 22 years ago. I was nasty to live with for a while as I was a two-pack-a-dayer. Estimated savings $60K. Hang tough, there are no negatives in quitting it's all good. Good luck.

Reactions: naga75

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Amp!
I love to hear the success stories.
I know i can do it.
There are no negatives in quitting. I like that. A lot.
Keep on truckin.
I'll get it. Soon. Im really tired of it. Ive been smokin for 20 years almost. I hate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
I was smoking for 35 years. Give or take. I hated it too.

Hang in there!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i need some pointers on removing my triggers to smoke.
what have you guys/gals done?
especially those of you that are recent quitters.
what did you do when you felt you just *had* to have a cigarette?
what did you do/use to replace them??
i have no problem not smoking around my wife/family when we are all together. i do this for a day or two no problem. problem is when i am at work, or away from them. trying to figure out how to keep it going....
i will smoke one and then i feel like a total loser who has no will power!!!

any advice and or suggestions are very welcome!!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
One trigger for me is driving. I chew gum usually. Another is when I have a drink in one hand I want a smoke in the other. In that case I either just don't drink, or I munch on carrots or popcorn or something at the same time.

Are you allowed to smoke at work then??

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, i run my familys business (ie "da boss" lol), so i can pretty much do whatever.
i work outside mainly, so yes, if i want i can smoke.
the real problem "at work" is that my mom smokes yuk and our office STINKS. so everytime i go in, i get all cravy for a smoke. i can usually fight this off, sometimes it doesnt even phase me.
so i guess the real problem is just breaking the HABIT of lighting a cig whenever i decide i "want" one.

·
Registered
14,980 Posts
Have you consider the patch? Takes you out of control. Worked for me and my wife (although I'll admit doing it together really helped).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.