Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people think about trump banning tiktoc?

Personally from someone like myself who leans left and likes big government it doesn’t bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
As much as I hate TikTok, no I don't agree with banning it. I don't believe in censoring the internet and this is a slippery slope. JMO.

·
Premium Member
13,342 Posts
Depends on who your talking to, obviously those who use it would be pissed. Windows 10 is also spyware but everyone just got used to it. The issue is China's national security law to punish dissent, which allows it to collect and release data that Microsoft (in theory) wouldn't ever dream of.

Honestly I think the CCP method of censorship is pretty stupid, all they need to do is ensure education and they wouldn't need to silence dissent by force. An example, Hong Kong was never even a democracy it was a colony ran by British governors for 150 years yet they never bothered to teach them their own history it seems, just keep them dumb. Now it backfired and they are flying foreign flags.

All this because they just wanted to extradite a murderer who killed his girlfriend and fled to Hong Kong. They just wanted justice and yet it snowballed to such a **** show.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
First of all I want to say I’ve never voted in my life.
Secondly, if anyone really believes that Trump is anything other than a would be dictator they are delusional.
Any outlet whether it’s social media or news that doesn’t toe his line is castigated.
Now he wants to “postpone” the elections..............
Give me a ****ing break.
America and it’s leader are the laughing stock of the world and yet he has huge swathes of the population convinced that he’s a true statesman.

·
Administrator
44,278 Posts
As much as I hate TikTok, no I don't agree with banning it. I don't believe in censoring the internet and this is a slippery slope. JMO.
My understanding is that this is not about censoring the internet. It's about China using the app to steal the personal data of users. It's about protecting people.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My understanding is that this is not about censoring the internet. It's about China using the app to steal the personal data of users. It's about protecting people.
I'm aware of the reasoning, but it's still a slippery slope.

·
Premium Member
13,342 Posts
I'm curious why the TikTok owner didn't just go "political speech is banned", so that even if the government confronts them they have nothing to even share. That could save his little app.

Then again the owner is rich as **** and probably doesn't really give two ****s as he has eggs in alot of other baskets.

·
Administrator
44,278 Posts
I'm curious why the TikTok owner didn't just go "political speech is banned", so that even if the government confronts them they have nothing to even share. That could save his little app.

Then again the owner is rich as **** and probably doesn't really give two ****s as he has eggs in alot of other baskets.
TikTok is ultimately owned by the Chinese Communist Party.

Banning political speech not help. It's not about political speech. It's about the personal data collected on every user. It's apparenlty more sensative data than other apps. Plus, do we really went the Chinese Communist Party to basically have a database of a huge portion of US citizens.

·
Administrator
44,278 Posts
I'm aware of the reasoning, but it's still a slippery slope.
It's an interesting case in that this is new territory. Is it national security for CCP to have all this info on a huge swarth of US citizens? If it's used by people such as those in Congress and their staff, and our military, they can have minute by minute info on where these people are and all the info on their computers.

·
Premium Member
13,342 Posts
TikTok is ultimately owned by the Chinese Communist Party.

Banning political speech not help. It's not about political speech. It's about the personal data collected on every user. It's apparenlty more sensative data than other apps. Plus, do we really went the Chinese Communist Party to basically have a database of a huge portion of US citizens.

So the data it collects...
  • Phone hardware information, including CPU type, screen dimensions, memory usage, and hardware IDs
  • Other installed apps
  • Network information (IP address, MAC address, WiFi access point name, and router MAC address)
  • Jailbreak information, if applicable
  • GPS pinging (if you’ve ever location-tagged a post)
  • Local proxy server set-up with no authentication
? Doesnt like every app do this?

Still seems like it may be more used to silence political dissenters.

·
Administrator
44,278 Posts
So the data it collects...
  • Phone hardware information, including CPU type, screen dimensions, memory usage, and hardware IDs
  • Other installed apps
  • Network information (IP address, MAC address, WiFi access point name, and router MAC address)
  • Jailbreak information, if applicable
  • GPS pinging (if you’ve ever location-tagged a post)
  • Local proxy server set-up with no authentication
? Doesnt like every app do this?

Still seems like it may be more used to silence political dissenters.
I'm going to do more searching in hopes of finding more detail about the data they collect and the history of all this.

I don't think this is about silencing political dissenters. There is all sorts of political dissenters on all the many social media apps. Why only TikTok?

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
I think ultimately ByteDance (TikTok’s parent company) will sell it off to non Chinese venture capitalists. Cynical me would expect the buyers to be associated with Trump.

·
Administrator
44,278 Posts
What info are they gathering?
I'm trying to find out more about the rest of the story on the data that TicTok collects, about what are describes as basically viruses that it plants on a user's device. I'm looking for facts so I can make up my own mind on this topic.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
America and it’s leader are the laughing stock of the world and yet he has huge swathes of the population convinced that he’s a true statesman.
If Trump takes a leak in England, Y'all going to claim he's marking his territory. How many regular folks in the U.S.A do you think gives a f what the world thinks. We know you'll be kissing our azzez when when yours is in a sling. Trump's been on y'alls schitt list since he made you pay more your own freight. You've discovered he's not as easy to force on his knees and y'all are eager to see him replace with someone who is. Hey, I can understand that. Is a big change from what you've gotten use to.
Y'all are aware MSFT is in talks to buy TikTic. If that happens, buy MSFT. You can thank me later.

Reactions: karole and MattMatt

·
Premium Member
13,342 Posts
I'm going to do more searching in hopes of finding more detail about the data they collect and the history of all this.

I don't think this is about silencing political dissenters. There is all sorts of political dissenters on all the many social media apps. Why only TikTok?
China is all about silencing political dissenters right now since their national security law in response to Hong Kong riots.

TikTok is FAR from the only platform, it's just the gingerbread man's way of trying to look like he's doing something coming election time. There's also WeChat how come that isn't targeted, or other Chinese apps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts