Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Plenty of serious stuff here. Agree with all.

From a not so serious, selfish perspective. ....... Golf

Its too damned expensive now even for basic municipal courses. We're not talking Augusta or Pebble here.
Not going to grow the game and keep people playing. Almost all of the costs associated with a golf course are fixed. So you are paying them even if your course is empty because you charge too damned much.

Back to the serious, actually matters stuff . :)
There’s a country club about ten miles from where I live and it has a top class golf course. Membership is both restricted and expensive and they were in the news for a few years when they refused to allow a local celebrity and his wife to join.
Eventually they were let join.
The celebrities? Tom Brady and his missus.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Definitely new vehicles. Those have never come down, they just keep going up and up. Computers and all kinds of electronics go down over time, but not your road monsters!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Gotta say.
A ceo's rate charged to a corporation. >:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
House painters. Good Lord...the price of getting your house painted is ridiculous.
The accident and liability insurance has gotta be murder. Alcohol and ladders DO NOT MIX.

Hang out in the parking lot of a liquor store around 5:30-6:30 pm. So many painter's vans.:wink2:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Even an ambulance ride to the hospital two miles away will cost you $1500.

Hospitals have to pay for their structure even if half of the rooms are empty; so, the costs associated get passed on to the paying patients. As well as the costs of indigent patients beyond what they are reimbursed by the gov't.
Maybe if more people had access to affordable health insurance those beds would create revenue streams.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The hospital I work at is overflowing with patients right now. Not enough staff is available. People are retiring out of medicine and nursing faster than they can be replaced.

Also...what a hospital charges and what they get from an insurance company are two different things. There is a procedure I do that takes me 10 minutes from set up to cleanup and the bill for that is $2k. Insurance pays out less than half of that. It’s insane.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The hospital I work at is overflowing with patients right now. Not enough staff is available. People are retiring out of medicine and nursing faster than they can be replaced.

Also...what a hospital charges and what they get from an insurance company are two different things. There is a procedure I do that takes me 10 minutes from set up to cleanup and the bill for that is $2k. Insurance pays out less than half of that. It’s insane.
I read that the irony in healthcare pricing is that the hospital charges the highest to the patient who has no insurance at all.

For example, to get my port, the hospital told me the procedure is $10k.

With insurance that is out of network, it would cost me $3k.

With in network insurance, it was $50. With those last 2, I don't know how much my insurance company paid.

I live on the border of a major city. And this was university med school hospital.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Raising two teenagers at the same time who are just 17 months apart. Everything about that sentence is overpriced😂
And they are in the exact same activities too, like marching band.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I read that the irony in healthcare pricing is that the hospital charges the highest to the patient who has no insurance at all.
It's not so surprising when you consider the relative bargaining power of the insurance company who has a large # of patients it can threaten to take elsewhere if it's price isn't met, vs. the guy who has one patient he can make that threat with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are we talking natural or synthetic diamonds? Last I heard, you had to label synthetic ones as such, and most jewelers don't want to deal w/ them.
You can get rings with alternative metals and synthetic diamonds online. Some people are going for alternative stones too that aren't meant to look like diamonds. I know that some women would balk, but I've heard a few say they wanted an alternative stone and absolutely not a diamond.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Even an ambulance ride to the hospital two miles away will cost you $1500.

Hospitals have to pay for their structure even if half of the rooms are empty; so, the costs associated get passed on to the paying patients. As well as the costs of indigent patients beyond what they are reimbursed by the gov't.

This why universal healthcare would be good. more people would be able to afford all this advanced medicine and that would bring the cost down. I look at those machines for radiation. They are huge.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts