Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be a fun one. And please, do share stories.

Two of my big pet peeves (of many) are:

1. People that think they have the right of way when merging onto the interstate. See the YIELD sign on the ramp???

2. People that think their turn-signal automatically gives them the right of way. On any road, any time!!!

A pickup truck passed me on the highway one day a few months ago. He had actually put white vinyl letters on his rear window that said "Keep right except to pass!" Lol

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
1) When I put my turn signal on and the driver next to me speeds up to not let me in. Rude!

2) When there is construction on the road and we are all supposed to merge, but some think they are "special" and will drive all the way down until the last possible second to then cut everyone off and merge over to where they should be

3) When I am polite and let someone in and they don't give me the "wave". (I always give the wave in front of the rear view mirror to say thanks for letting me when there is traffic.)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
1) When I put my turn signal on and the driver next to me speeds up to not let me in. Rude!

2) When there is construction on the road and we are all supposed to merge, but some think they are "special" and will drive all the way down until the last possible second to then cut everyone off and merge over to where they should be

3) When I am polite and let someone in and they don't give me the "wave". (I always give the wave in front of the rear view mirror to say thanks for letting me when there is traffic.)
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Especially number two.

I also get pissed when people swing over as they turn. If you're turning right you do NOT need to take up half of the left lane to do so.

Also people that sneak in at the end of an advanced green and are in my way when my light turns green. I like to run at them with my SUV.

I also hate people in SUV's that are bigger than mine.

·
Banned
0 Posts
1) When I'm about to cross the street and I'm obviously waiting for the car to pass. I get annoyed when the driver slows down and stops then make the hand gesture that he's allowing me to cross: - Thanks, your majesty. But know that my wave is insincere.

2) Slow drivers on the fast lane. Why ? WHY ?

3) Two long time no see drivers that block the circulation to have a chat. Unless you're holocaust survivors, you can't do that.

4) Drivers that honk a split second after the light goes green. I'm sorry I don't have your cat like reflex.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate when people put on their turn signal AFTER they start brake in order to make a turn.

The early merge/late merge was a least a chapter in Tom Vanderbilt’s "How We Drive" (good book). Excerpt: Why I Became a Late Merger (and Why You Should Too)
I'm glad you pointed that out! I always thought it was just silly for everyone to merge over a mile before the lane closed. Then you have a mile long empty lane that nobody's using! Doesn't make any sense to me. I saw a guy pulling a trailer one time literally try to make someone crash he was so mad that he had merged over and they hadn't. I mean he was about to have a coronary over it!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Rules for driving in Raleigh

NEVER EVER EVER EVER use your turn signal
T-Bones are better than yielding to anyone
The passing lane is for blowing through a red light to pass someone
The left lane is for slow
The right lane is for slower
The center lane is for doing whatever you like
Lanes are merely suggestions
The shorter the dead road in front of you the faster you drive
Highway ramps are for full stops

·
Registered
38 Posts
I drive a school bus, equipped for wheelchairs/special needs no less.
You won't believe the crap I have to put up with.
- do I have to say it? People actually blow by my bus with the red lights flashing, stop sign extended and CHILDREN STANDING THERE WAITING TO GET ON THE BUS!! Who's children do you think they are? Or do they not matter because they're not yours?
- People parking in the bus loading lane at the school: where am I going to find a safe place to unload these wheel chairs, ****wad?
- when I'm turning left and the car behind me swings wide and ducks into the lane on my right: hey, jerk-off, not only are you breaking the law, but the law says I can't stay in the left lane, so I'm going to get out of your way as soon as I possibly can! Chill for a half-second.
- am I going too slow for you? That's funny, 'cause I see the speed limit sign very clearly, and I'm not going any faster than that, pencil head.
Generally, people don't realize that passengers in a school bus are unsecured, and do not sit in a cocoon configuration like a car. The slightest side-to-side movement is greatly amplified and can throw a kid out of his/her seat.
It gets worse, but I just had to vent.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah I hate cabbies that just drift closer and closer into you when trying to merge. Signals? NEVER. Idiots.

Does this one count? People at the coffee shop I stop at in the morning that are always opening their car door and dumping yesterdays drinks out on the parking lot. Their milky sugary drinks and making a fly-attracting, sticky to walk on mess. I mean WTF are these slobs thinking? Dump your garbage out in your own driveway... pigs.

pardon me... that one does make me crazy.

·
Registered
13,706 Posts
frankd, what's up with the white strobe lights on top? They're fairly new around here, they seem to turned on randomly.

I also love at this, at a traffic light with two lanes (<-/^ and ^/->) the jerks that make a right turn from the left lane when I'm going straight in the right lane and then honk at me as if I cut them off. Happens pretty regularly, 65+% of the traffic does turn right. That whole intersection totally F'ed, but hey that's NJ for you.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Make the left turn Make the left turn Make the left turn Make the left turn Make the left turn Make the left turn Make the left turn

Goddamn make the left turn before I reach through the window and yank your uterus out through your ear.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm glad you pointed that out! I always thought it was just silly for everyone to merge over a mile before the lane closed. Then you have a mile long empty lane that nobody's using! Doesn't make any sense to me. I saw a guy pulling a trailer one time literally try to make someone crash he was so mad that he had merged over and they hadn't. I mean he was about to have a coronary over it!
The highway merge thing is the most contentious. I pretty much feel obligated to hug the bumper of the car in front of me and prevent the car trying to force it's way in from getting in. After all, I occupy that lane and the other car should be waiting for a clear spot to get in, and not forcing me to slow down to let him in. That's what the right lane zoomers don't get. They're rapidly coming to the end of their lane and acting like that entitles them to jam their way in to my lane! NOT!! My proudest moment was when one of them flipped me off oblivious to the fact that a state trooper was just a car length back. the trooper let him in and then pulled him over for a talking to. I wish I could have heard that convo.

Another peeve is when I'm in a line of cars going the same speed and keeping the minimum safe following distance. There's thirty car lengths behind the last in the group and thirty car lengths ahead of the group, but some bozo a$h0le has to insert him/herself on the middle. Really?

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
On a 4-lane highway, drivers that occupy the "inside, passing lane," not driving the posted speed limit and blocking traffic, making it impossible to pass. More often than not, they're wrapped up on a cell phone not giving a tinker's damn about the rest of the drivers.

That is what really chaps my backside!

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Drivers who don't use the cruise control on moderate or light traffic freeways. They speed up and slow down so you can't use your cruise control behind them. Invariably if you go to pass them, they will speed up as you get 1/2 of the way past them and you can't get back over to the right lane. (This is a subconscious thing because you moving past them causes them to perceive that they are slowing down so they'll speed up to match my speed.)

People who pull out right in front of you and then drive slow. If you weren't in a hurry, wait 15 seconds more before pulling out so you'll be behind me.

People who roar up to the stop sign at a two way stop and stop a foot past the white line. I'm not sure if they are actually going to stop. If I'm in my truck I'll make them think I'm going to hit them as payback. I've had a few back up. Cool thing is that if I do clip them, hey, it's their fault for a failure to obey the stop sign.

People who don't use their turn signals at a four way stop. Particularly when they are turning left.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Being behind a slow courteous person and a slow shepple driver when a passing lane comes up. The slow courteous person will dive for the right lane and the clueless driver will stay in the left lane so you can't get around either.

Although this is a highway design fault as far as I'm concerned: The lane lines should be painted such that drivers are guided to the right lane and they have to change lanes to get into the left lane. Most of the time it is the other way around and the inattentive drivers just stay in the left lane.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
My proudest moment was when one of them flipped me off oblivious to the fact that a state trooper was just a car length back. the trooper let him in and then pulled him over for a talking to. I wish I could have heard that convo.
I'm convinced that many traffic patrol officers are just revenue generation. They just sit with the radar gun and ticket speeders.

If they wanted to make roads safer they'd nail people for failure to merge properly. loafing in the left lane, unsafe lane changes and other road rage inducing behavior.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.