Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
So far, not a concern (although I don't like it!). I've lived through several crashes with few ill effects, and I expect this time will be the same. I'm not doing anything (other than waiting for a clear bottom so I can invest some of my free cash).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I bought all of the tuna in the county I live in for my bunker.

I am also going long on tuna stocks just in case. Tuna, and those blue masks people wear.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
The markets have always tanked, and so far, having always recovered.

The market is cyclical, and this long-running boom is 'said' to be ready for a steep correction..

But, no one knows when.

This downturn is blamed on the Corona Virus. The media is hyping the virus. Many are saying the current administration is not doing 'enough'.

They are using the Corona Virus and scare tactics to affect the election. They have, and will continue to say, "The President is not doing enough to stop the virus. He does not care for the people, he cares only for himself and his rich cronies".

What's new?

Many pundits said that the only way the Dems can win the election is if the market tanks. I know many on the left want this.

Is this the reason?

Who knows, but bad press does not help. It is easy to spook the public. Just another common political ploy of the left to gain some advantage.

Scare grandma with social security fears, retirement account failure fears,and medical care being taken away. Yes, and spouting the economy is ready to collapse, lions and tigers and bears, Oh' My!

BTW, it is time for a correction and they often happen right before an election. It happened to GW Bush and to other presidents.

Can it be done, this pre-election crashing (tampering)?

Maybe, remember the stock market is now run and managed and manipulated by computer programs. Can a few wall street programmers tweak it to cause a sell off?

Well, maybe.

Who do you trust?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Markets are cyclical. Fortunes are made in predicting when and where the market will turn. I do feel that we may be on the cusp of an economic downturn, however the markets for the last 48 hours have been reacting to the coronavirus pandemic. This is not a quote/unquote crash, rather a negative reaction to a developing crisis. There should be some sanity returning in a day or so. I do not believe this should persist. We will see.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sure, even buying into bargains won't mean squat if everything goes bank holiday. That means nothing comes out, yuppers so much for the bargains. As to what it will become unknown, but China already making several trillion Chinese currency to keep themselves afloat. A disaster waiting to explode.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
There is currently an Ebola epidemic in the republic of the Congo. It’s lasted since 2018.
Ebola scares the crap out of people, the very name conjures up images of people dying in agony.
But here’s the rub. The current measles epidemic in the Congo has killed over twice the amount of people that Ebola has killed.
But measles just doesn’t sound as bad as Ebola, Coronavirus etc.
There has always been viruses of one sort or another but some just sound more dangerous than others.

·
Registered
18,408 Posts
Sure, even buying into bargains won't mean squat if everything goes bank holiday. That means nothing comes out, yuppers so much for the bargains. As to what it will become unknown, but China already making several trillion Chinese currency to keep themselves afloat. A disaster waiting to explode.
How exactly is everything going to go 'bank holiday' when America literally invents money based on nothing? The odds of being this the disaster that craters everything is near-zero, while the odds of it being yet another blip in the market is near-1.

Even if it does go sideways, how will pulling now-useless currency out of the system help you?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
How exactly is everything going to go 'bank holiday' when America literally invents money based on nothing? The odds of being this the disaster that craters everything is near-zero, while the odds of it being yet another blip in the market is near-1.

Even if it does go sideways, how will pulling now-useless currency out of the system help you?
American isn't the only country doing this. But I'm not claiming disaster now or the near future, but what I am saying when it does tank it won't matter much because it will be global and if the good ole USA , economy does tank it does affect the world. We are leading the world in the retail economy. And l play with money that isn't my life savings, or sole dependence of living.

If it was it will just be as the past any country will print money it will just cost ???? Hundreds -Thousands for a loaf of bread as in the past. As in other countries.

Because even if I was to hoard paper money, how or by what means would one get it exchanged at a honest rate. I guess this means someone better have something tangible to trade but that's only if one can hang on to it, someone may want it more than you.

But if it comes to this everyone will be in the same boat. And again not predicting end of days but if it did happen nothing the sole citizens can do. But band together, we can laugh and be merry singing songs are the camp fire. And if it does become dependant on foraging most people are heading north, see ya soon. LOL....

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Markets are cyclical. Fortunes are made in predicting when and where the market will turn.
No, in fact, they are not, at least reliably.

It's pretty much been shown to any mathematician's satisfaction that no one can predict the market with any long term success.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Paper money used to be backed by gold. Now, it is backed by faith, (faith in the system and in the U.S. government, itself.)

Have faith, or have chaos!

I have faith and I have guns.

Ah, in the end, if the world economy collapses, we will eat each other alive, and eat some Eskimoes frozen.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There is currently an Ebola epidemic in the republic of the Congo. It’s lasted since 2018.
Ebola scares the crap out of people, the very name conjures up images of people dying in agony.
But here’s the rub. The current measles epidemic in the Congo has killed over twice the amount of people that Ebola has killed.
But measles just doesn’t sound as bad as Ebola, Coronavirus etc.
There has always been viruses of one sort or another but some just sound more dangerous than others.
Yeah, that's right! Ebola will shut down Congolese pharma and pharma-precursors, chip production, start hoarding any PPE that they are still able to produce with their non-quarantined workers.

Oh, wait... dumbass.

The only thing of vital worth that comes from the Congo is rare earths. That is mined by, ahem - the Chinese - ahem, and other places can pick up the slack fairly quickly.

That's why anyone cares. Globalism put all of the eggs into a totalitarian, 3rd-world, squat-toilet basket, and now Mama Gaia or that level-4 Bio-containment lab that China runs along with French advisors is probably going to hopefully **** Globalism in the ass.

Also, measles kills more people than Ebola because it is far more virulent than Ebola. Sure, Ebola's CFR is MUCH higher, but it has a hard time spreading, since those infected die so fast, and villages surrounding infected villages kill every poor bastard trying to enter their village.

This thing has an R0 that, while not on a measles level, is still a good deal higher than seasonal flu.

TL;DR, no one gives a damn about what happens in the Congo. China, however, is where the Masters of the Universe have sent all strategic production to, and half of it is on complete lock-down.

Apple, meet Orange.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts