Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been referred to a therapist on the NHS. the process is to fill out something like a 10 page questionnaire. After hand delivering it (it was not from me and the Royal Mail is not to be trusted these days), I finally get a phone call and discussion.

I thought it was interesting that the therapist wanted to sum up an issue as "trust issues." I have been hearing this phrase in so many negative contexts, that I wanted to turn it around and point out to her that I am more interested in being able to read people and situations so that blind trust is less of a necessity in my life.

Do you feel that the expression "trust issues" is necessarily negative?

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
While it is negative, think of it this way: you didn't bring it on yourself, you didn't ask for it. That's what I always say when 'trust issues' come up in our house. The only reason I have them, is because I've been betrayed.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
what do you feel that you are missing by not being able to trust? Do you ever feel that your scepticism helped you to dodge a bullet?
Well it's sad because it's almost like blaming a totally innocent person for a crime. And it makes you paranoid of everything and everybody...and living like that sucks. You are always looking for the dirt under the rug. You are always looking for the skeletons in someone's closet. It is almost impossible to believe in well-intentioned people. I wish I could just trust someone but I can't allow myself that pleasure.

It's a lonely life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.