Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found polyamory has several benefits to my mental health.

It reduces anxiety - People like me tend to get really anxious when it comes to one woman. I start imagining the worst case scenarios when we're away for too long. I get paranoid and think "maybe she's talking to other men.. maybe she lost interest.. maybe something bad happened.."

When I have many women, I'm calmer. I'm not really worried about losing a woman because I have plenty more.

It helps me see things more clearly - When I'm focused on one woman, I tend to overlook warning signs she's not a healthy partner because of anxiety. When you get anxious, you tend to do that out of fear. That's why many people tend to stay in unhealthy relationships. They're afraid if they leave, they won't find another partner who can meet their needs.

With many women, I'm able to analyze my relationships more objectively. I can ask women for their opinions on other women and help me asses the quality of my relationships.

More security - If you have multiple partners, you're more likely to get more support. People can help you raise your children, help with finances, deal with emotions, etc.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

It reduces anxiety - People like me tend to get really anxious when it comes to one woman. I start imagining the worst case scenarios when we're away for too long. I get paranoid and think "maybe she's talking to other men.. maybe she lost interest.. maybe something bad happened.."

When I have many women, I'm calmer. I'm not really worried about losing a woman because I have plenty more.

It helps me see things more clearly - When I'm focused on one woman, I tend to overlook warning signs she's not a healthy partner because of anxiety. When you get anxious, you tend to do that out of fear. That's why many people tend to stay in unhealthy relationships. They're afraid if they leave, they won't find another partner who can meet their needs.

With many women, I'm able to analyze my relationships more objectively. I can ask women for their opinions on other women and help me asses the quality of my relationships.

More security - If you have multiple partners, you're more likely to get more support. People can help you raise your children, help with finances, deal with emotions, etc.
Oof...

What do the women get out of polyamory?

I'm polyamorous myself, and I prefer it when my wife has another partner because her other partners provide her with support while i am deployed. Worrying about people back home can be deadly when you are in a combat zone.

Generally speaking, her other partners have also been pretty good company when home.

I have never really been afraid of losing my wife. I don't own anyone.

Reactions: LisaDiane

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
So when you’re deployed, you don’t have to worry about Jody enjoying your wife and drinking your beer.....
You know he’s enjoying your wife, and are confident that he’s not only going to keep you a cold one waiting, but mowing the grass and paying the bills, too?
Pure genius!

I couldn’t/wouldn’t share mine I’m too jealous and such. But it’s an interesting concept.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It doesn't strike me as more confident or less anxious, just less invested and less connected. Your post describes the substitution of a deep relationship with several shallow ones. They are not the same thing. You talk about support, but if you had a car wreck today and were paralyzed, needing life long care, how many of those paramours are coming over?

If you are happy, great for you. However, you have not stumbled upon the great secret of relationships, or happiness.

And whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I kept my heart from no pleasure, for my heart found pleasure in all my toil, and this was my reward for all my toil. Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.​

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
So when you’re deployed, you don’t have to worry about Jody enjoying your wife and drinking your beer.....
You know he’s enjoying your wife, and are confident that he’s not only going to keep you a cold one waiting, but mowing the grass and paying the bills, too?
Pure genius!

I couldn’t/wouldn’t share mine I’m too jealous and such. But it’s an interesting concept.
What as’ladain describes above isn’t new or unique on to him. It has been part of warrior society for millennia.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Having been in the military myself, I would not like that arrangement at all. Maybe I lack self confidence or something, but the jealousy would just be too much for me to take. I would be worrying about her with or without a lover at home. But... I can also somewhat see that knowing and being comfortable with it could be reassuring. Many times the not knowing about something is worse than the actual thing you are worrying about.

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
Isaiah, I honestly think you need some sort of therapy or maybe ministry. You clearly have some issues.
You are disobeying God and trying to justify it by saying that it's ok because it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Isaiah, I honestly think you need some sort of therapy or maybe ministry. You clearly have some issues.
You are disobeying God and trying to justify it by saying that it's ok because it makes you feel better.
I think you are putting too much credence into the words like polygamy and polyamory etc being thrown around and I think his previous thread went off the rails with all the theological debate.

Isaiah isn’t marrying 5 of his 14 year old cousins and keeping them locked up pregnant and desperate to feed their 15 children in the middle of Utah.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting a bit, but the analogy I can see that describes this is a young man that got brought up in an environment where only vanilla ice cream was ever discussed. He only had vanilla ice cream and only witnessed vanilla ice cream and has been indoctrinated that any other flavors are wrong and bad and completely unacceptable.

Then he does a little digging around on his own and discovers that not only do other flavors of ice cream exist, but it’s ok to sample a little of each and not have to little yourself to first bowl of vanilla ice cream that you ever take a bite of.

IMHO Isaiah is not a polygamist or a polyamorist or player or swinger or whatever label you want to apply.

He is just a young man discovering that there is a whole big world out there and life isn’t just the tiny little pidgeonhole he was presented with as a young boy.

He SHOULD be out meeting and going out with a variety of girls.

He should NOT be committing to strict exclusivity with the first girl that he has a coffee date with.

As long as he is open and honest, safe and responsible, and respectful of the women’s boundaries, there’s no foul here.

·
Banned
1,110 Posts

Sounds to like like you’re afraid of commitment. Yeah, it takes some serious balls. What’s life without risk?.... boring.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Pure genius!

What can I say, i don't get jealous about sex, or anything that happens in my absence. Most of the guys she has dated have also been in the military, either active or retired.

You would be surprised at how common polyamory is among military circles.

She gets the emotional support she needs and i don't get red cross messages telling me my wife is suicidal while I'm focused on bringing my soldiers home.

It works for us.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Having been in the military myself, I would not like that arrangement at all. Maybe I lack self confidence or something, but the jealousy would just be too much for me to take. I would be worrying about her with or without a lover at home. But... I can also somewhat see that knowing and being comfortable with it could be reassuring. Many times the not knowing about something is worse than the actual thing you are worrying about.
It's also about how you emotionally react to things... If you get jealous about your partners having other romantic relationships, polyamory would be pretty hard to do. What I get jealous over, is my wife giving away what little time she could spend with me when I am actually available.

To give you an idea how often that is, i have been separated from her for about 9 of our 13 years of marriage due to deployments, TDY, and lately, this pandemic.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Sounds to like like you’re afraid of commitment. Yeah, it takes some serious balls. What’s life without risk?.... boring.
I agree with you on your assessment of what he is afraid of.

But a lot of people who are polyamorous are not afraid of commitment at all. I'm certainly not. I really can't think of any reason why i would leave my wife outside of her being dangerous to me. If she were trying to harm/kill me, constantly expose me to STDs, legal problems, etc.

And even then, i will, and have in the past, worked my ass off to influence her to stop the destructive behaviors LONG before considering divorce or separation.

She doesn't do any of that anymore, so no worries. And if it happens again, i know how to handle it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's also about how you emotionally react to things... If you get jealous about your partners having other romantic relationships, polyamory would be pretty hard to do. What I get jealous over, is my wife giving away what little time she could spend with me when I am actually available.

To give you an idea how often that is, i have been separated from her for about 9 of our 13 years of marriage due to deployments, TDY, and lately, this pandemic.
Just curious. How does this arrangement work when you aren't deployed?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Just curious. How does this arrangement work when you aren't deployed?
We split up time as we feel works best for us. We talk it to death with everyone involved, come up with a plan, and then execute it.

I don't need all of her time when I'm not deployed. But i do need some of it. So we figure that out amongst ourselves.

Reactions: LisaDiane

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
We split up time as we feel works best for us. We talk it to death with everyone involved, come up with a plan, and then execute it.

I don't need all of her time when I'm not deployed. But i do need some of it. So we figure that out amongst ourselves.
Sorry for so many question, just curious about how this works. Are you legally married to your wife and the others are just boy friends?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Sorry for so many question, just curious about how this works. Are you legally married to your wife and the others are just boy friends?
Basically, though we tend to just call our partners partners. "Just a boyfriend" makes it sound like they are less important.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts