Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We guys need role models plain and simple, wether they be real or imaginary. Some of us choose sports heroes, some of us model ourselves after historical figures, and some of the more clueless of us model ourselves afer hip-hop artists. :scratchhead:

Now I have read some threads wherein some male posters have asked what an "alpha male" is. Its a tough question to answer, because we dudes all have different subjective ideas and formulations bouncing around our beady heads as to just what that abstract notion is.

That is not what this thread is about.

This thread is meant to be a fun look at the archetypal males we grew up watching on the silver screen: the great lead actors. I thought it would be fun to divert ourselves for a while and come up with our own lists of those male actors who inspired us to be more "manly", and, for better or worse, who provided us with a cultural groundwork as to what the "ideal" male should be.

The following is my list. I look forward to seeing the lists the rest of my TAM bros come up with.

Sean Connery - As James Bond, Connery was suave and tough at the same time. He he set the standard for the rogue spy hero. He bedded women profusely and unapologetically, and to this day he's still the hairstute international playboy stud we all wish we were. Oh yeah... he kicked a$$ too.

Lee Marvin - If ever there was a true bada$$ in Hollywood, it was Lee Marvin. A decorated, wounded veteran of WWII, Marvin was one of the few survivors of the 24th Marines: the ill-fated division that stormed Mt. Topachou during the Battle of Saipan. Marvin was adept at playing hardscrabble soldiers and tough guys because ...well... he really was one. He never had to sell a performance, because you knew he was the real deal. For all you pansies who want to know how a male of the species conducts himself, check out Marvin's performance in The Big Red One.

Richard Roundtree - Remember 1971's Shaft? Do I need to say any more?

John Wayne Yeah....you all knew he would be somewhere on this list, because when it comes to the archetypal, ball-busting, All-American male, Marion Robert Morrison deserves a lion's share of the credit for shaping the masculine ideal in our pop culture. Tall, tough, straight talking, no-nonsense, and strangely alluring to the females of our species, you either love or hate John Wayne's characters. Wayne seems to have as many admirers as he does detractors. But one thing is for sure, you can't deny the impact The Duke has had on the collective male psyche in America and abroad.

Harrison Ford- Before he was neutered by Calista Flockhart, Harrison Ford seemed to be John Wayne's heir apparent. He was good looking, intelligent, tough-as-nails, tender when need-be, and a helluva lot of fun to watch in those classic Hollywood blockbusters such as Star Warsand the four Indiana Jones movies.

Humphrey Bogart - Hell yeah! Bogart was a master at playing a tough guy who we could actually care about: tough- as-nails and emotionally accessible at the same time. Check him out in The African Queenand Casablanca . Playing a harda$$ with a heart of gold is a tall order, and it is a testament to how amazingly talented the dude was. He's one of the all-time great alpha males who even jaded feminists seem to dig. Too bad he smoked himself into an early grave.

Clint Eastwood - What more can be said than has already been said about this icon? Actor, director, producer, writer, musician... Eastwood does it and has done it all in Hollywood. Hell, you could even go so far as to say that Eastwood IS Hollywood. He's now a far cry from his halycon days as the baddest a$$ who ever pulverized his enemies in movies like The Outlaw Josie Wales and The Enforcer, and I once foolishly made the mistake of thinking Eastwood was washed up. But then I went and saw Gran Torino.....

Robert Mitchum - Mitchum was one of Hollywood's true alpha rogues. He cemented his legend playing some of the most over-the-top scary SOBs that ever hit the screen. Check out his frightening characterization of the psychopathic Reverend Harry Powell in Night of The Hunter or the even more frightening rapist Max Cady in the original Cape Fear. Add to this short list a slew of tough guy roles that virtually defined Film Noir, Mitchum was one of our all-time great alphas.

James Cagney - Cagney was one serious mofo. In a way, he was the archetypal archetype... setting the standard for what a tough male was long before Wayne and Eastwood ever came along. His characters lived life on the edge, slapped the hell outta treacherous dames, and always dominated the space they inhabited. Check him out as the criminal Rocky Sullivan in 1938's Angels With Dirty Faces and you'll see what I mean.

Yul Brynner - You've got to love Yul Brynner. Of Russian-Romanian decent, Brynner had some quinteccential alpha male traits: a monster physique, an enigmatic accent, a mysterious background he would never fully divulge (he used to claim he was Mongolian...which he was not) and because of it he will go down as one of the most recognizable and memorable alpha males in Hollywood history. He was a crap actor if you think about it, but that never mattered. His characters were always interesting, whether he was playing pharoah Ramses in The Ten Commandments or the gunfighter Chris in The Magnificent Seven. Brynner played second fiddle to no one. Even when he wasnt recieveing top billing in a film, he always stole the show.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Steve McQueen – “The King of Cool”. Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, Le Mans. Motorsports enthusiast, Marine, turned down Richard Dreyfuss’ role in Close Encounters of the Third Kind because he couldn’t cry on command. Otherwise, he was a drunkard, philanderer, married three times, notorious drug abuser and died well before his time. Cool, but I wouldn’t want to be like him.

Paul NewmanCool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Verdict, and the voice of Doc Hudson in Cars. Navy veteran, film director, entrepreneur, humanitarian, professional racing driver, auto racing team owner and auto racing enthusiast. Family man who once said of infidelity “Why go out for a hamburger when you have steak at home?” Cool and someone who gave more than he took.

Reactions: Entropy3000

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Yeh Sean Connery beat his wife and locked her in the house when he was filming Goldfinger!
Real alpha!! (I do realise you are talking about James Bond though. Daniel Craig beats him hands down!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Besides being horribly slow and clumsy with a single action, how many of John Wayne's movie characters were in sexless relationships? :)

I'd bump him from the list.

Reactions: nice777guy

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where's the hurling smiley when you need him?

Reactions: Dollystanford

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ladies. It would be nice to start hearing from some guys...given this is a mens forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
8,302 Posts
Yup ... the chicks dig the alphas.

As is evidenced by their prolific posting to 'alpha' threads.

Makes panties melt off. True story.

There are men that want to know about this stuff, and women want to call it bullsh!t. That dynamic isn't going to change.

Me? Always a huge fan of Charles Bronson. Really dug Yul Brynner as well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
How about:

Jason Statham (Transporter)
Jet Li (Fearless)
Charles Bronson (Telefon)
Anthony Quinn (The Guns of Navarone)
Charlton Heston (Ben Hur)
Kirk Douglas (Spartacus)

·
Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's with the caution cone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: SpinDaddy

·
Registered
611 Posts
What's with the caution cone?
Posted via Mobile Device
I-dun-know, it was just one of the listed emoticons and I thought “What the heck – I need one of those on this post. Damnit.”

But seeing that you’re in construction management as a profession, I’ll defer from telling you how many of those were misappropriated for adolescent shenanigans during my misspent youth growing up in the greater Salt River Valley region. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.