Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes without saying that 2020 has been an interesting year. So, with that said how are some of the US members celebrating Thanksgiving this year?

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's such a good question. I had actually been thinking about what I was going to do until I realized that I could quit worrying about it. I was staying home by myself and nobody was going to make me do anything else this year.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
At this point I think we are just doing it on our own. I usually host family but can't see any way we could do it without taking a risk due to covid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Our family will head out to our farm for the day, weather permitting, and start the morning with a family mass outdoors as we have a cousin who is a priest. In order to spread out we all will likely dine in one of the barns instead of in one of our cabins. I will deep fry several turkeys.

after our noon meal, it will be trap shooting, four wheel and ATV riding, and it warm, there could be some bass fishing,too.

It will be scaled back as family who are far away will not be flying in this year. We will have a family Zoom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Our family will head out to our farm for the day, weather permitting, and start the morning with a family mass outdoors as we have a cousin who is a priest. In order to spread out we all will likely dine in one of the barns instead of in one of our cabins. I will deep fry several turkeys.

after our noon meal, it will be trap shooting, four wheel and ATV riding, and it warm, there could be some bass fishing,too.

It will be scaled back as family who are far away will not be flying in this year. We will have a family Zoom.
Sounds amazing!

Unfortunately where I live, the weather is too cold and dreary to allow for a meal outside now. :(

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Sounds amazing!

Unfortunately where I live, the weather is too cold and dreary to allow for a meal outside now. :(

It may be cold here, maybe not. The joke here in Kentucky-Tennessee border area is “If you do not like the weather wait a few hours and it will change”. On Christmas Day last year it was 72 and the wife and I took a spin in my convertbile. I hope it is that way Thanksgiving so we can enjoy the great outdoors. We usually have about 100 family members at our farm and the kids have a blast on the four wheelers, and I usually am out three cases of shotgun shells as well have a trap shooting contest, which my daughter won last year LOL. She outshot her old man.

I will not be shooting my MSR, AK,or AR’s as brass is scarce and expensive. .223 is running $1.00 to $1.20 per round if you can find it. We usually had a pretty good time target shooting. Oh well.

Reactions: kag123 and Ikaika

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My SO and I will be on our honeymoon, which was originally planned as a trip to the UK. Due to quarantine requirements for travelers, we've had to make other arrangements. So, we'll be visiting Lake Toxaway, North Carolina, instead. We'll spend the day hiking to see waterfalls and then have an evening dinner at the Greystone Inn. We're hoping to enjoy some lovely cool Fall weather.

My son is going to go have the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner (which is at lunchtime/1:00 p.m. because we're Southern) with my parents and my brother's family. They're gathering at my family's vacation home on the GA coast, where it will be around 70-74 degrees, so they'll spend the weekend catching blue crabs, throwing the castnets, boating, cooking and eating fresh seafood and enjoying the firepit.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We leave for vacation the day after, so I'm hoping we have a low key Thanksgiving day. My husbands mom has become even more of a hermit since Covid and she doesn't want to do anything at all. We haven't seen her since February. My mom is trying to plan something for either the weekend before or the weekend after we get back, but she's bouncing all over the place on dates and hasn't narrowed anything down. She does this every year which adds to the stress that I don't like about the holidays and one of the reasons we chose to travel the day after this year. I'm honestly not comfortable gathering as a family though and I'm hoping she just decides not to. My parents are elderly and my dad has breathing issues. Cases are booming in my kids schools and I don't really want to take the risk. Mom is insisting on it though.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I will be at my sister's house cooking dinner. My girls will be spending the day and my BF will hang out for a while but then he's going to dinner with his kids. I invited my exH to come spend the day with all of us but he's not up for meeting my BF yet so he will just be coming for dinner and to hang out afterwards. Should be a much better time than I had last year. Hoping for no overlaps between BF and exH as I know that would upset the exH a lot. He may not want me as a normal husband would, but he still very much wishes I was married to him. He is still struggling quite a bit. I feel for him. I know my kids will enjoy having us all together just like the old days.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Normally, we would all be at my uncles house, and there would be more family there. I am not sure if it is COVID or politics, but we are splitting it up to two places this year.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
No turkey this year. I never particularly cared for it anyway. God knows, I tried to like it. Several folks here were kind enough to share their tips for making good stuffing. That's on the menu, along with fresh cranberry sauce and assorted oven roasted vegetables. I'm even considering stuffing Portobello mushrooms with an eggplant/gruyere cheese mixture.

I generally have a few friends over, but not this year. With plenty of NFL action, I'll be entertained.

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
My husband and I had planned to visit his family. They are a flight away in New York state. All these numbers rising so quickly, made me think. We've been lucky so far, even with my playing tennis regularly. I thought why chance it now. But I do want to go away for Christmas to see both of our families.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Reading these replies, it's making me sad that we will be on our own this year. :(

Everything is going back into lockdown here. My daughter was super excited for her first basketball tournament weekend which was supposed to be the Fri-Sun after Thanksgiving... just got cancelled. :(

I understand it's for the best but still makes me sad. One half of the family that would usually come to our house has recently had covid. I have not been able to find any definitive information on when you can be 100% sure that they are no longer contagious, so it seems like the safest thing to do is just stay away from them and keep ourselves locked away!

·
Premium Member
27,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Normally we would plan this out the Monday in advance, that is go to my cousin‘s house and set up the Imu (earthen oven). We put turkeys (plural), pork butt, etc... place them in their the day before Thanksgiving. It would be a huge party (all day long) nestled up against the Ko’olau mountains with over 50 relatives and friends with a combination of tradition Thanksgiving and Hawaiian food. By the time round three (early evening) came along there would be music and signing. Yes, live music, folks would break out their instruments; maybe even some hula.

Not this year; too many kupuna (older relatives and friends) and just wanting to be responsible. It will be a small celebration with my wife’s sisters family, outside. I think there will be at most 10 of us. And, this year mostly just tradition Thanksgiving feast.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Normally we would plan this out the Monday in advance, that is go to my cousin‘s house and set up the Imu (earthen oven). We put turkeys (plural), pork butt, etc... place them in their the day before Thanksgiving. It would be a huge party (all day long) nestled up against the Ko’olau mountains with over 50 relatives and friends with a combination of tradition Thanksgiving and Hawaiian food. By the time round three (early evening) came along there would be music and signing. Yes, live music, folks would break out their instruments; maybe even some hula.

Not this year; too many kupuna (older relatives and friends) and just wanting to be responsible. It will be a small celebration with my wife’s sisters family, outside. I think there will be at most 10 of us. And, this year mostly just tradition Thanksgiving feast.
I hope you play some Don Ho. He rocks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
We are still unsure what the plan is. This is our year to have Thanksgiving with my parents but our state has a 10 person max rule on in-home gatherings. With my siblings and all of our kids we are at 15 people. My sibling that lives with my parents won’t come out of her room if we are even one person over. So I think we will stay home and do our own feast. I have nieces and nephews my parents haven’t seen in awhile so I think it is more important they spend the day with them (we live down the street). Mom wanted to do a second Thanksgiving on Saturday for us but I think that is a bit much.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts