Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,949 Posts
I think the best suggestion for how men can understand what woman women want is built around a joke I have posted before... truth is sometimes folded into comedy:

A man goes into the attic to clean out the junk comes across the proverbial lamp. He rubs it and out come a genie.

Genie - I grant thee one wish

Man - Build me a bridge from CA to Hawaii.

Genie - I give you a wish and that is what you ask for? Not money not power?

Man - I need to take a vacation sometimes, but I hate flying. (he reconsiders)... You know what I really just want you to explain what women want and what it means when they say or do.... (long laundry)

Genei - so would you like that bridge made of steel or concrete.

·
Banned
4,714 Posts
There is so much wrong with that "study" that i won't even bother... Chewing gum science!

From failing to see the connection between testosterone level and body fat to totally failing to notice the obvious more "masculine" face of the composite guy in the right.
The author obviously has an agenda. Wonder if she even knows what it is.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Form her pic, I'd say she's trying to corner the market on masculine.
Well I said it on the first page.

I said that she's trying to redefine masculinity.

She's " playing God", trying to
".. create man in her own image and likeness.."

lol,how come it took you guys so long to realize that?

·
Premium Member
29,949 Posts
One thing I will say as an academic scientist in the area of developmental biology about the immunocompetence issue... whoever wrote this has NO understanding of this issue.

Sexual reproduction provides our offspring with diversity in many areas, one of which is immune response. Having diversity in immune responses goes to the heart of the core issue of biology in general. survival of the species to the sacrifice of individuals. What this means, that when we have "sexually produced" offspring we are generating diversity within the species. This is not a eugenics experiment where there is a higher degree of immunocompetence, rather it is just building diversity.

Best way to assume this is in the use immunological models that have been developed that show when a pandemic hits and we are unable to respond via artificial means that 25% of the population will likely die. Those that survive have the opportunity to extend the gene pool resistant to future pandemics from that same pandemic. However since we cannot predict the markers of new (future) pandemics we have no external means to measure immunologically competent factors of those genes in individuals. This even ignores the understanding that immunocompetence is also the result of gene shuffling of inherited genes. Therefore as a species we rely simply on the pooled diversity for the species to survive, but is completely unpredictable to the unknowing victim.

So this aspect of the article is simply not verifiable or even logical on how we seek our mates. It is totally unpredictable how immunologically we will respond to these viral or bacterial pressures that has plagued every animal species since the dawn of time.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
One thing I will say as an academic scientist in the area of developmental biology about the immunocompetence issue... whoever wrote this has NO understanding of this issue.

Sexual reproduction provides our offspring with diversity in many areas, one of which is immune response. Having diversity in immune responses goes to the heart of the core issue of biology in general. survival of the species to the sacrifice of individuals. What this means, that when we have "sexually produced" offspring we are generating diversity within the species. This is not a eugenics experiment where there is a higher degree of immunocompetence, rather it is just building diversity.

Best way to assume this is in the use immunological models that have been developed that show when a pandemic hits and we are unable to respond via artificial means that 25% of the population will likely die. Those that survive have the opportunity to extend the gene pool resistant to future pandemics from that same pandemic. However since we cannot predict the markers of new (future) pandemics we have no external means to measure immunologically competent factors of those genes in individuals. This even ignores the understanding that immunocompetence is also the result of gene shuffling of inherited genes. Therefore as a species we rely simply on the pooled diversity for the species to survive, but is completely unpredictable to the unknowing victim.

So this aspect of the article is simply not verifiable or even logical on how we seek our mates. It is totally unpredictable how immunologically we will respond to these viral or bacterial pressures that has plagued every animal species since the dawn of time.
I commend you for the patience in writing that. I can't be hassled today (long work day :p)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally use to get more looks when I was about 25 lbs lighter, I had less facial hair, and boney at 6'0. Women just stopped flirting with me after I got more muscular, the five o'clock shadow started to even out, and my wife has no sexual desire now lol. Wtf!? Im sure my BMI is below 12 % but I guess it has to deal with weight too. I heard skinny men run the world, starting to believe it....
Skinny? Noooooooooooo, for the love of god, no! There is such a thing as too skinny for both men and women IMO. I'm waaaaay more attrated to a man a 'few lbs over weight' than 'a few lbs under'. I also LOVE the 5 O'clock shadow look. It's manly, hot, sexy, mmmmm. WTF is right. You sound right about perfect.

·
Premium Member
29,949 Posts
I commend you for the patience in writing that. I can't be hassled today (long work day :p)
I will rephrase it a more succinct manner, when it comes to immunology and fighting off disease, there is strength in numbers. Individuals can be sacrificed and there is no predictability as to who that individual may be so the species may survive.

·
Banned
1,696 Posts
I will rephrase it a more succinct manner, when it comes to immunology and fighting off disease, there is strength in numbers. Individuals can be sacrificed and there is no predictability as to who that individual may be so the species may survive.
:lol:

Nah man, i read it, what i could not be hassled about was writing how selection of immunology would eventually screw us all up. That and the fact that other studies simply indicate that women DIRECTLY select males with different immune system than their own (no need for some mumbo jumbo indirect inference about their way of selection at all). Basically you worded my thoughts :D

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
I had no idea I didn't know what I wanted in a man! Thank you almighty Interwebz for educating me!

Reactions: jaquen and Ikaika

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
No, I wouldn't be attracted to a lazy video game fanatic who got excited over comic books. I would likely brow beat such a man. The respect would be sliding real fast when I had to start nagging him to take care of the house & the manly things that needed done.
heheh.....I'm not into lazy video fanatics or one that is hooked on comic books. But I gotta say, there are some great comic book artists and story lines to be appreciated. My guy has been known to bring me comic books from time to time. I love it.

I'm not a fan of The Big Bang Theory sitcom myself though. Maybe I'm too much of a geek for it.

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
And a quote from the movie Kinky Boots:

"Thing is, Mike, ask any woman what she likes most in a man. Compassion, tenderness, sensitivity. Traditionally the female virtues. Perhaps what women secretly desire is a man who is fundamentally a woman."

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
Now see, I prefer his character in the movie "Drive". It's on Netflix. He's basically just like you say, gentleman, one woman man, fiercely loyal ... and ready to stomp a dude's head like a ripe cantalope. I swooned ...
That was a good movie! Loved the 80's style opening and the signature jacket.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.