Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strong and independent. I make good money and just signed the letter for my second promotion in less than a year. I'm active in my community and have my fair share of dates. I can kill the spiders, doctor the dogs and have no problem with investigating the bumps in the night.

But in spite of all that....

I still HATE thunderstorms :(

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I'm strong and independent. I make good money and just signed the letter for my second promotion in less than a year. I'm active in my community and have my fair share of dates. I can kill the spiders, doctor the dogs and have no problem with investigating the bumps in the night.

But in spite of all that....

I still HATE thunderstorms :(
Fabulous COgypsy... well done on the promotion :smthumbup:

As for me...

I'm strong and independent.

I make lousy money but hate to shop...so it seems to even out:D

I'm active in my community.

I lift weights, I fish and hunt and use a chainsaw... all the while wearing a sexy red bra and knickers , lip gloss, matching earrings and necklace.

I really love being a woman in 2012

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ain't it grand? :smthumbup:

I shop to support my work habit, lol.

I'm pretty much an indoor/city girl these days, but let me tell you, those paper targets QUAKE WITH FEAR when my pistol collection and I hit the range! ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congrats on the promotion! :smthumbup:

I am strong and independent....

Worked my butt off to be financially independent...

Enjoy riding my motorcycle to work while the weather still allows me :D:D:D

But I am TERRIFIED of snakes :eek:

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
I am strong and independent....

Worked my butt off to pay off financial debt...only owe mortgage, car and boat note (rolled into one payment), food and expenses. Now I pay my cc off every month and cash in on the cash back rewards. :)

I enjoy grilling, boating, camping, fishing, and most anything outdoors.

I hate mice! :eek:

Congrats on those promotions!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good wishes everyone! On the work front, it's been a good year, for sure! We're making the announcement to our division this afternoon and it's official as of Monday! I'm pretty excited. Not only is the new title and the pay bump nice, but now I have a RESERVED parking spot--that's probably the sweetest part, lol. Their salary offer came in at about $1,000 less than I was wanting, but once they said "parking spot", I took it. Glad they didn't know what magic words those were! :D

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Question from another "Miss Independent" - do/did you find it difficult to find a man who isn't intimidated by you? I sure did.

I was meek during my marriage but since what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger, as a single mother I had no choice and found I was pretty good at a lot. Ex said I wouldn't be able to survive (basically) with out him. I earn more than him now, have had 4 promotions in 8 years, own my own home now (sadly his yacht has yet to appear - the one he said I'd regret never being able to go on) and volunteer for Habitat for humanity which gave me lots of skills for all sorts of home improvements. I landscape, paint, sheetrock, maintain the pool, clean gutters, clean the house, cook every night, supervise a teen, change oil, sharpen mower blades... whatever needs to be done.

For anyone my age they may remember the perfume Enjoli commercial "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan and never let you forget you're a man"...

Frankly I'm tired of being strong. I look forward to the day I can let some of it go and lean on someone else some of the time. Wonder woman is overrated.

I'm hiring a cleaning lady next month.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too am a stong highly independant woman. But I have a question ladies. Do you ever find that strong independence seeping into your personal life sometimes to much?

I don't think my husband is intimidated but sometimes I think it casues him to want to step up his game. For instance when I pull out my credit card to pay for dinner when we go out I see it annoys him a little. I say you always take me out whats wrong with taking my husband to dinner and he says I want to take care of you.

During our 6 month seperation he saw someone else and so did I. When I got the 411 on the woman he was seeing I was taken back because she was the exact opposite. Not career minded at all and how I know this is that a friend of mines knows a friend of hers and whenever we would I talk I would say I dont get it how do you go from me to her. She said to me did you ever think your independence sometimes makes a man feel as though he is not needed so why wouldn't he rebound to a woman who clearly needs him.

We fought it out, lived a part for a while then miraculously came back together so of course I had to ask. I said do I make you feel unwanted at any time. He said not unwanted but sometimes you got it so together you made me feel like you didn't need me at all. The truth is I don't need (thats a strong word) my husand but I want him. If tomorrow he walked out that door the bills would still get paid I would still be able to take care of my child. So do I need him? No Do I want him? hell yea

Its a balancing act, I gotta keep my idependance because a long time ago watching my mom in an abusive marriage becasue she felt she couldn't go any where made me vow to never have to ask a man for sh.. at the same time I don't want to over power my relationship with it or act as if I wear the pants in my house. Hell why can't we both wear the pants....

Just something I deal with from time to time....

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
[email protected] -

My first marriage was abusive so I think I'm independent out of revenge (LOL) and a fear of needing a man but really WANT one, as you clearly separate the two.

I had my best friend (happily married 15 years) tell me to "take my eyes off the list" and still reminds me from time to time. This analogy works for everything but we were shopping, stopped by a hardware store and I had a list, knew what I wanted, where it was, etc. After we left she said a couple guys looked but I was so intent on my list (being capable & independent) that I didn't even notice. She suggested even when I DON'T need help, ask anyway. As an exercise, not just to meet men but to be OK with being vulnerable and needy (not in a bad way).

So now all she has to say is "look away from the list" and no one knows the story but I know what she means. :)

It took 8 years and the internet to find my BF and he was married to a very independent woman who I think emasculated him. So I know he's attracted to that type but I'm very careful to ask for help/advice any time I need it and even when I don't.

Sure, I could research grass seed for the area I'm over-seeding. But I texted him asking what I should buy. I ask for help with electronic stuff (my weakness) and try to be sure to make him feel like the man. He took me to the airport for work one time and I reached for my suitcase as he did and remembered "the list" - so used to doing for myself I forget it's OK to let him get the door, get the suitcase... it's so sweet and makes me feel special that he wants to take care of me. It's hard to overcome our natural tendencies sometimes. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am stong and independent, but still play the damsel in distress to my husband. Once in awhile I fix things around the house just to show him I can, but he likes to be asked to lift things, check the meat to see if it is done and fix the plumbing when needed. It is definetly a balancing act.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol: Awesome! So are you a manager?
Yep, I'm the administrator of a 30-person health care research team.

Professional Mean Girl, I call it! :D
(no you can't buy that with those funds, no you can't hire your kid, no you can't have a data feed on your home computer....)

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Congrats on the promotion!!!

I live alone.Rescue/Foster pitbulls.I have no debt.A nice home and a great car.

Totally independent and I have a fabulous job.

But put a cricket or one of those pincher bugs in front of me and I'll run away like someone tried to shoot me.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Are we patting ourselves on the back? I'm so tired of being a strong and independant woman that I'd really love to be able to let someone else take over for awhile, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Too bad my husband can be such a jackass at times. ;)

There was a thread a few weeks ago about how hard it was for women to have it all. I commented "...wasn't aware we had the choice...!". I'm sure you all feel the same.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Fabulous COgypsy... well done on the promotion :smthumbup:

As for me...

I'm strong and independent.

I make lousy money but hate to shop...so it seems to even out:D

I'm active in my community.

I lift weights, I fish and hunt and use a chainsaw... all the while wearing a sexy red bra and knickers , lip gloss, matching earrings and necklace.

I really love being a woman in 2012
My goodness!:smthumbup:
Sounds like Charlie's Angels.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.