Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm for the bacon being wrapped around the fatback-filled cookie. Crispier?
Maybe if we bake-fried the shortbread cookie in bacon grease? I worked as a baker in college, but I may be out of my realm, here. I'm willing to experiment, though. Sugar, Splenda, or Stevia/mix?

Maybe like candied pigs-in-a-blanket?

Worth a shot?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup--no Splenda. I do like Stevia in drinks, but don't cook with it.

U R the experienced baker, your choice...

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Just make the cookies with lard instead of butter. Like Southern grandmothers used to do it. Or with bacon grease if you want more bacon-y excellence, which I've done to good effect with both benne seed wafers and shortbread.

I suspect that fatback jelly would just end up being a gelatinous swath of more lard, which isn't actually all that tasty in its native form. A good sweet/savory bacon-onion jam might work though....

Or, you could stop trying to reinvent the wheel of sweet-bacon snack-y goodness and just make Glazed Bacon Crackers. Take saltine crackers, wrap individually in bacon, bake until the bacon is done enough, brush with maple syrup (or molasses or cane syrup or just toss on a handful of brown sugar) and sprinkle with a little Cajun seasoning. Put them back in the oven until they're sticky enough. Serve however many you don't eat while plating them. :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just make the cookies with lard instead of butter. Like Southern grandmothers used to do it. Or with bacon grease if you want more bacon-y excellence, which I've done to good effect with both benne seed wafers and shortbread.

I suspect that fatback jelly would just end up being a gelatinous swath of more lard, which isn't actually all that tasty in its native form. A good sweet/savory bacon-onion jam might work though....

Or, you could stop trying to reinvent the wheel of sweet-bacon snack-y goodness and just make Glazed Bacon Crackers. Take saltine crackers, wrap individually in bacon, bake until the bacon is done enough, brush with maple syrup (or molasses or cane syrup or just toss on a handful of brown sugar) and sprinkle with a little Cajun seasoning. Put them back in the oven until they're sticky enough. Serve however many you don't eat while plating them. :D
That's cool and all, but it ain't Pig Newtons.

As an aside, sugar-glazed bacon is good, but wouldn't be all that profitable. I'm thinking commercial product, which means I have to use the cheapest, crappiest ingredients I can think of. It's the American Way!

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Hmm. Maybe lard. Vacuum-packed. Cheaper, too.
Mmmmmm - yum. Bacon wrapped lard wrapped in a tender cookie crust and vacuum packed so the lard can't escape. How about you call them Vacuum Packed Heart Attack. That has kind of a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Although, the name Pig Newton is just so catchy.

Oh, I know! Tender cookie crust encapsulating bacon jam and a little jar of lard one can heat for dipping. Solves all the messy melting business when shipped.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mmmmmm - yum. Bacon wrapped lard wrapped in a tender cookie crust and vacuum packed so the lard can't escape. How about you call them Vacuum Packed Heart Attack. That has kind of a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Although, the name Pig Newton is just so catchy.

Oh, I know! Tender cookie crust encapsulating bacon jam and a little jar of lard one can heat for dipping. Solves all the messy melting business when shipped.
Yeah, I'm sticking with Pig Newtons. But Vacuum-Packed Heart Attack? You wanna a job as Marketing Director?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/B]

Sure! I come from a long line of marketing execs - remember the Edsel?0:)
We could promote Pig Newton recipes; Pig Newton-branded Mezcal, but with a Pig Newton instead of the worm. Promote lemon slices instead of lime for the shooters, and Boom, we got a Squealing Edsel.

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
We could promote Pig Newton recipes; Pig Newton-branded Mezcal, but with a Pig Newton instead of the worm. Promote lemon slices instead of lime for the shooters, and Boom, we got a Squealing Edsel.
And, for the logo - I can try to get permission for the usage of an image of Porky Pig or Ned Beatty. Which do you think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts