Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this on the general relationship advice but probably given as i'm a new member this section is the only one i can post for the time being.

I am a male in my mid 30s, single, no attachments and I wanted advice or opinions about some kind of situation at work.

There is one woman co worker i happen to work with occasionally, but not too often and so far we appear to understand each other and be on good terms. Last week i asked her out and she told me she had a boyfriend but then she also said that she was willing to go out as long as it wasn't a date. Then i replied her that it was better if we didn't go out at all. On that occasion she told me that she hoped to se me again before saying good bye, given that we work together occasionally we are not sure when the next time we work together will be.

I saw her again at work after that and we pretty much behaved as usual, but i'm wondering if maybe i ought to ask her out anyway or at least ask her phone number.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I wanted to post this on the general relationship advice but probably given as i'm a new member this section is the only one i can post for the time being.

I am a male in my mid 30s, single, no attachments and I wanted advice or opinions about some kind of situation at work.

There is one woman co worker i happen to work with occasionally, but not too often and so far we appear to understand each other and be on good terms. Last week i asked her out and she told me she had a boyfriend but then she also said that she was willing to go out as long as it wasn't a date. Then i replied her that it was better if we didn't go out at all. On that occasion she told me that she hoped to se me again before saying good bye, given that we work together occasionally we are not sure when the next time we work together will be.

I saw her again at work after that and we pretty much behaved as usual, but i'm wondering if maybe i ought to ask her out anyway or at least ask her phone number.
NNOOOOOO. Why would you want to 'pretend not date' someone who is going out on her boyfriend???? Your above bolded reply is truth!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Put me down for 'no'.

Let's look at some possibilities.

She doesn't really have a boyfriend. In this case, she lied because she isn't really into you but then thought it might be worthwhile to keep an opening just in case it would be useful to her.

She has a boyfriend but likes your company and is OK with being friends. That doesn't sound like what you want, so you are setting yourself up for heartache.

She has a boyfriend but is considering cheating on him. Is that someone you want to be with?

What's the scenario that you are hoping for? I don't see anything good coming from you romantically pursuing her. Maybe you can elaborate on why you think this might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the scenario that you are hoping for? I don't see anything good coming from you romantically pursuing her. Maybe you can elaborate on why you think this might not be a bad idea.

I was thinking that i might hang out with her anyway since i'm single, i don't see how there's much for me to lose in this scenario.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was thinking that i might hang out with her anyway since i'm single, i don't see how there's much for me to lose in this scenario.
You may not have much to lose, but she does. Don't ask out a woman who has made it clear that she has a boyfriend. Are you really that desperate that you have to fish in another man's pond? I am guessing you have never dealt with a protective and p*ssed off boyfriend. Do yourself a favor and try to keep it that way.

Think with the head on your shoulders, seriously.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
How will you feel if you are hanging out together and some guy hits on her and she leaves with him?
She has made it clear she doesn’t see you as boyfriend material and then she threw you a few breadcrumbs by saying she would hang out with you but made it clear it wouldn’t be a date.
She knows that you are attracted to her and she is willing to meet you outside your work environment?
Not a very classy person I would say.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
No, let this one go. She has a boyfriend, and is therefore not available, or she doesn't have a boyfriend and made one up, in which case she isn't into you.

Platonic male/female friendships are possible, but only when neither person is interested in more. You, my friend, are interested in more, so it will never really be a friendship because you'll always want more... and you're settling for friendship in the hope that they will break up and you'll get a shot.

Let this one go, and find a woman who is available.

You guys can be friendly at work. Leave it at that.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If the roles were reversed would you want your gf hanging around a single male coworker? Move on for now..tell her if her situation ever changes call you but otherwise you respect her relationship.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Call her boyfriend and make sure he is ok with it.
:iagree:

Just remember you take a risk on losing your job if you upset either one.

·
Registered
584 Posts

If she's solidly in your friend zone and you are in hers, and it's done entirely aboveboard with her BF fully in the know, I'd say do it. I see no problem with having friends of different genders. But don't use this "hang out" thing as a cover for making a move on her or waiting in the wings until her BF is out of the picture. That'll very likely fail.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you were her boyfriend, & she was setting up something like this, how would you react? Is her boyfriend stable? Is he a Black Belt, former Marine, Mafia Don, weightlifter, biker, or felon?

Lets say that this becomes a relationship. How would HR look at it?

What have you got to lose? My respect.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Put me down for 'no'.

Let's look at some possibilities.

She doesn't really have a boyfriend. In this case, she lied because she isn't really into you but then thought it might be worthwhile to keep an opening just in case it would be useful to her.

She has a boyfriend but likes your company and is OK with being friends. That doesn't sound like what you want, so you are setting yourself up for heartache.

She has a boyfriend but is considering cheating on him. Is that someone you want to be with?

Bingo!

Pick an above circumstance that you see fits her verbal and nonverbal signs, and act as you desire.

Good luck!.

PS, its mostly risky dating a work associate. But this may be appropriate. Obviously your call.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
You may not have much to lose, but she does. Don't ask out a woman who has made it clear that she has a boyfriend. Are you really that desperate that you have to fish in another man's pond? I am guessing you have never dealt with a protective and p*ssed off boyfriend. Do yourself a favor and try to keep it that way.

Think with the head on your shoulders, seriously.
But, and it's my initial opinion, she doesn't really have a boyfriend.

So OP can at worst go out, and practice his dating skills while getting a meal with company. That works for some single persons.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
If you were her boyfriend, & she was setting up something like this, how would you react? Is her boyfriend stable? Is he a Black Belt, former Marine, Mafia Don, weightlifter, biker, or felon?

Lets say that this becomes a relationship. How would HR look at it?

What have you got to lose? My respect.
Awww c'mon.

Boyfriend can mean anything from a person she's dated three times to a rock steady with a future guy. She hasn't said.

If you think you, your reputation, and work can't be hurt, and you're fully aware it may indeed bomb but what the heck, if you want to just go for it.

Later she may ask why you didn't ask her again anyway. Women are that way.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Awww c'mon.

Boyfriend can mean anything from a person she's dated three times to a rock steady with a future guy. She hasn't said.

If you think you, your reputation, and work can't be hurt, and you're fully aware it may indeed bomb but what the heck, if you want to just go for it.

Later she may ask why you didn't ask her again anyway. Women are that way.
Awww c'mon. Not excited about the above bolded comment. Some men have a tendency to generalize when giving advice to others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts