17,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
How can anyone think this is okay? What would drive a person to give this kind of 'care' to a family member? Is there an issue with receiving social security or SSI? What's going on here? Anyone have a guess?

https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsylvania-attorney-general-says-woman-kept-sister-in-cage-vestaburg-washington-county/30537374#
I question why the AG is speaking on it instead of the district attorney. Appears they are politicizing the case.

Although he didn't want to address it, the womans son seemed to be telling the truth that it wasn't a cage.

Remember duke lacrosse fiasco.
Can't always believe what we are told.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Well, maybe if there were universal healthcare, this family could have afforded to keep the relative in a better environment.

So what is the AG going to do? Put them all in jail ....... taxpayers' expense?

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I question why the AG is speaking on it instead of the district attorney. Appears they are politicizing the case.

Although he didn't want to address it, the womans son seemed to be telling the truth that it wasn't a cage.

Remember duke lacrosse fiasco.
Can't always believe what we are told
I read that's what made Stephen Miller famous ..... to Fox News anyway. HE kept the network up to date.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have no idea why some people treat others like that; I can't wrap my mind around it though. I do know that some people are very mentally disturbed, and don't think in a "normal" sense of the way. Such a sad situation with this story.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
I have no idea why some people treat others like that; I can't wrap my mind around it though. I do know that some people are very mentally disturbed, and don't think in a "normal" sense of the way. Such a sad situation with this story.
I would not judge this family on the basis that they had adequate resources --money and otherwise -- to find a solution that you and I would agree with.

I think that is a failing in the American system. The 2017 tax law soaked the poor. Republicans have hacked away at Obamacare. What is PA's with medicaid. Because medicaid payments could be used to care the sister in some approved way. And now Trump has mandated a shrinkage of food in SNAP, the modern day food stamp program. There is no safety net in the US.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, maybe if there were universal healthcare, this family could have afforded to keep the relative in a better environment.

I would not judge this family on the basis that they had adequate resources --money and otherwise -- to find a solution that you and I would agree with.

I think that is a failing in the American system. The 2017 tax law soaked the poor. Republicans have hacked away at Obamacare. What is PA's with medicaid. Because medicaid payments could be used to care the sister in some approved way. And now Trump has mandated a shrinkage of food in SNAP, the modern day food stamp program. There is no safety net in the US.
You can't say any of that with a serious face, unless you know what is available to them, what they were taking advantage of and how it was being spent or used. This idea of pulling on the heartstrings of everyone to get them to agree with communism is foolish.

Believe me, there will be a black market once you folks(communists) get your way.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts

I absolutely agree, and it's the same way here in Canada; prices go up, up, up, less and less seems to be being covered under our work benefits, which means more out of pocket. Our nurses are also being cut in large numbers as well, at least in Alberta. And life is expensive. But, there are also some people who are just unbalanced/disturbed, and cannot for the life of them either see another way, or see that what they're doing is wrong. It could go either way, and I make no judgements; it's just the way that it is.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
You can't say any of that with a serious face, unless you know what is available to them, what they were taking advantage of and how it was being spent or used. This idea of pulling on the heartstrings of everyone to get them to agree with communism is foolish.

Believe me, there will be a black market once you folks(communists) get your way.
I am not a communist.

·
Banned
52 Posts
This is a terrible story. However, I am amused that it is being politicized. Let's call this what it is, a case of someone terribly mis treating someone else.
What kind of environment would have minimized the occurrence of this sort of incidence?
A less cruel and mentally unstable caretaker. Nice try though, I give you props for that

·
Administrator
42,469 Posts

From what I have heard on the news, the sister had meningitis as a young age, cannot talk, drinks out of a baby bottle still at age 51. She's clearly very disabled. Therefore, in the USA she is eligible for Medicaid, which in her situation is basically free medical care.

·
Administrator
42,469 Posts

The son said that it was not a cage but an incomplete room.. like the wood framing was up but no wall board has been installed.

Did you find another article that goes into this some more.

My bet is that there is more to the story and it's not exactly as is being reported at this time.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
The poverty depicted is jarring. I bet this woman has never even finished high school. I feel sorry for the son but that's nice who stood up for his mother.

·
Premium Member
17,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I have heard on the news, the sister had meningitis as a young age, cannot talk, drinks out of a baby bottle still at age 51. She's clearly very disabled. Therefore, in the USA she is eligible for Medicaid, which in her situation is basically free medical care.
She is probably getting SSI or some kind of social security for her disabilities, too.

·
Administrator
42,469 Posts
The poverty depicted is jarring. I bet this woman has never even finished high school. I feel sorry for the son but that's nice who stood up for his mother.
From the little bit said, she had meningitis as a young child. That's an infection in her brain. She cannot talk. She drinks out of a baby bottle. She's clearly mentally disabled. So year, she probably never did finish school. A lot of youngsters with brain damage are unable to attend school.

·
Administrator
42,469 Posts
She is probably getting SSI or some kind of social security for her disabilities, too.
SSI is about $700 a month. It's not much at all.

I don't know if she would be eligible for SSD, which is more than that. But since she has apparently never held a job, she most likely is not.

She should be eligible for SSI, SNAP, welfare type income assistance, and Medicaid. There might be other things as well.

I just read some online info about Medicaid assistance for long term care in Pennsylvania and it looks like she'd be eligible for that too.

The info provided is too sparse to really know what was going on. I'm holding out on forming an opinion until more info is provided. For example I would like to see some photos of the 'wooden cage'.

What I have seen in some cases is that the family is not aware of the social programs and assistance that is available for the disabled. So they try to handle it all themselves and get overwhelmed.

I wonder what got the police to check out the house and check on the disable sister to start with. That's not addressed in the articles I've seen.

On the surface it sounds horrible.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The son said that it was not a cage but an incomplete room.. like the wood framing was up but no wall board has been installed.

Did you find another article that goes into this some more.

My bet is that there is more to the story and it's not exactly as is being reported at this time.
I think the same thing.

I haven't looked. See what they are saying in a few days.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts