Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Singles of TAM 2022 Edition

103K views 3K replies 61 participants last post by  MattMatt 
#1 ·
Happy 2022 singles (and coupled or married visitors to this thread)!!

#2 ·
I've not yet started online dating, but I think I will later this year.

I'm braced for all of the potential weird stuff I might experience.

I'm still a little weirded out by a recent experience.

I was waiting at a vehicle place recently and was talking with a man while we both waited, who seemed nice. He asked me to go get coffee with him, but I didn't because I had plans right after my vehicle was ready. We exchanged numbers though and he started texting me.

It quickly got strange because he said he is in love with me. He is from a European country but identifies with yet another culture and English is not his first language, but still. Lots of declarations of love etc. Lots of very intense words and sentiments.

It made me feel very uncomfortable!

He was the first potential date I met organically since the pandemic began but unfortunately this one is a no go for me.

#3 ·
I've not yet started online dating, but I think I will later this year.

I'm braced for all of the potential weird stuff I might experience.

I'm still a little weirded out by a recent experience.

I was waiting at a vehicle place recently and was talking with a man while we both waited, who seemed nice. He asked me to go get coffee with him, but I didn't because I had plans right after my vehicle was ready. We exchanged numbers though and he started texting me.

It quickly got strange because he said he is in love with me. He is from a European country but identifies with yet another culture and English is not his first language, but still. Lots of declarations of love etc. Lots of very intense words and sentiments.

It made me feel very uncomfortable!

He was the first potential date I met organically since the pandemic began but unfortunately this one is a no go for me.
Yeah, he sounds weird. Beware the love bombing - it's a popular tactic. And creepy as f*^*. Not to be a cynic but does he have a greencard?

#6 ·
Started chatting with a few folks online and potentially lining up a couple of first dates. One of them I SWEAR I know him from somewhere but he didn't go to my school or work at the same place. It's gonna be creepy if I am like "do I know you from somewhere" and I don't want to look like a stalker so we'll just see if it comes up organically. I think we're gonna get coffee this weekend. :)

The other, weird guy I texted just because we had made dinner plans for first date before he let me know he expected sex after. I texted to let him know I thought we were looking for different things but wishing him luck. He didn't respond. People lack courtesy. Has anyone noticed that?

#11 ·
Everyone wants something from those they wish to get close to.

This is normal and should be expected.

Determine what they want and what you want and see if these are workable/compatible.

Naturally, most people overstate their positive qualities, and understate, or hide their negatives.

Men are more likely to be players, hence, ladies need to be cautious, so as not to be harmed, or abused.
Nothing new here!

(Yes, ladies can be selfish users, too.)

Always question why a man is not married after, say, 45 or 50 years old.

There could be good reasons or bad ones, but reasons will make themselves known.

...........................................................................................
Here it comes....

I am superstitious, oh, am I ! :oops:

I think some people bring or draw bad luck to themselves.

For example, a guy or gal who has experienced two or three tragedies.

His/her SO's prematurely dying from natural causes, even violent causes.
It need not even be death, it could be ill health, financial ruin, etc..

No, not directly attributed to them in any way, except by association.

Call it, Tragedy by Association, simply, your being near this person, brings you his/hers, now your bad Fate.

Good Luck with your hunt.

King Brian-

#23 ·
First: YAY 2022 thread!!

Second: I do not care what country the person is from (nor the person's gender or orientation). I do not care if it's a first world or third world country--what makes a person admirable is their heart. What I do care about is barely knowing someone and saying "I love you" so quickly. See, I understand that love is an action and not a "feeling" so I could give the benefit of the doubt and think the person is saying aloud that they intend to act in a loving way. But even that seems so premature because they don't really know you AT ALL. So don't care what country or culture, it would just be a big ol' "NO" in my book.

#28 ·
Humor is the best medicine for those in a humorless society.

Germany comes to mind....sorry!

Never get close to someone (date) who does not have a sense of humor.

Or, someone who takes humor as criticism.

I admit, it is a fine line to string.... taut, or after thinking yourself taught.

Then again, someone who finds everything funny, can be that lame bore.

A balance is needed, between seriousness and humor.

Aye!

King Brian-

#32 ·
Who can blame the long, penned-up dog when he is freed?

Free to run wild, free to sniff whatever he wishes, free to piss on every bush.

Aye!

I am no wild doggy, I am held captive by my own, long cold, oath, and my stubborn inaction.

Our fate is never solely ours to partake. It is ever that shared endeavor.

Are Dee-
from his notes.

#36 ·
Where I live there is tons of opportunities to date people from all over the world, but I do wonder about the cultural compatibilities.

The further apart the culture the more difficult it is to connect, like there's banter misses, flat jokes, etc etc, sure that happens when dating locally too but its much more pronounced, and sometimes you just know it's not because they don't have humour or anything but they just don't 'get it'. It is interesting for short term.

But long term, culture is very important. Their level of assimilation and integration plays a part too. I prefer mid-tier assimilated folks, true blues annoy me, and too foreign folks don't bother to speak English lol.

#49 ·
Something in the air rebuilding... I'm about to end my latest. "We need to spend more time together... I don't feel like I'm a priority, we don't talk as much as I'd like, how come you don't always ask or include me when you go out/do something ? ". Well now your becoming work, and a drag. And I'm a lazy selfish guy who isn't willing to plan or run his life around or for someone else. Used to look forward to seeing, hanging, sleeping with. Now it's gotten heavy and not so much. Searching for a decent way to do, say, but needs done in the next few days / soon.

#53 ·
I hear you. I don’t know what makes them turn, but they always do. It’s like they always want more. But they usually shut off the oxygen first (sex). It’s like a death nail to a guy, but that’s what they do. I don’t know where they get their advice from. They all seem to use the same playbook.

I’m sorry you’re here too. I was feeling this way for a while. It seems like you are too. Good luck and I hope it’s a clean, successful break.

#52 ·
That's just weird to me. If I had to talk to my ex every day, I would be SO annoyed...what could they have to talk about?? BLEGH!!!!

I have more respect for people who save their money and don't spend frivolously, however, if you aren't co-mingling your money with her, why did it bother you? If she is earning her own money, why would it bother you how she spent it? Did she ask you for help or expect you to spend money on her?

I agree with Livvie, it's good you ended things now, instead of investing more time and effort in her. You have a new start now too, and maybe she just doesn't meet your wants and needs anymore. And the no-sex thing should ALWAYS be a deal-breaker when you are only dating!!

#74 · (Edited)
Boring update ;). Whelp... looks like my breakup just got a little easier. Recent phone call. When can we get together to talk ? Thursday. Why ? Because I have meeting with historical society tonight and car club meeting tomorrow eve. Unhappiness, not happy camper on other end. "You have too many hobbies" and not enough time for me. Umm... OK.

I'm just not a good "full time" boyfriend. I've been told this type stuff before. But. I will not make excuses for not being a person who feels he is "missing something" and needs a romantic relationship to fill. I'm just not a high needs person... I don't need any help taking care of myself. In fact I'm very low "needs". I will not say I am sorry for being gregarious and outgoing, and have a large circle of friends and interests. One of my failings (?) is I haven't felt "lonely" in I can't remember how long, and no I am not worried about later. I'm comfortable with who I am and live.

I may be getting (or am) on the old side but God was good to me and family genetics. My parents are in their mid to late 80's and healthy, mobile. no health issues, fine. (Knock on wood continues) I've never been more than 10 lbs over on weight in my life. I'm hoping/planning on another 25 useful years. I may not be a stud anymore but women have always been interested in me. I have what some want... no mental or health issues, good job (for now - don't need to work anymore - just do as like my job and Covid makes retire, travel plans seem not like good plan now), no effed up family or kid issues, and for some, seem to think I'm fun to be with. Really not very concerned about meeting another lady to enjoy being with. Also feel no rush to do. If I meet one great, and I'll wait no problem, concern until do. And if I don't ? Maybe odd to some - but that's fine also. Just don't feel like I will ever be bored and lonely, wanting. Could be kidding myself... who knows.

Strangely feel good, strong, and ready to "move on". Looks like Thursday it is. Sorry for bore, vent, - but thx ! Peace and happiness to all !

#108 · (Edited)
An update... maybe entertainment..;). So... met with time to end lady yesterday... who dominated conversation saying seems like we don't want the same things. But she understands that and is not mad at me. OK - cool. But she is going to pursue, look for full time partner, but can we still be friends. Sure ! I would like that. Just please let me know, be honest, when find, have. OK... lets have sex. LOL.

So tonight... I am tired from week. But friend calls and says come to place to see, hear band he knows someone in. I say no - tired... He says come for just an hour - think you'll like. Arg. OK. And do. Band pretty good ! And, umm, meet Jennifer... Wow. 3 hrs later, plan to meet for brunch on Sunday. I am an idiot... and a sl*t... want her. It's almost 12:30 now and dammit... sleep like I should have been doing at least 2 hrs ago ? LOL.

#110 ·
I have another virtual first date (still texting back and forth with date 1 guy but no firm plans to go out again) on Friday with a guy who has no kids this time. Honestly, it's an odd dynamic because you can't see their walk, their scent, the way they treat the waitress etc. etc. In short, a lot of social stuff you can glean from a first date, you don't get from a virtual date. No idea if they talk down to the waitress or are stingy with the tip. No idea if they smell like old socks or have awful breath. Possibly the only benefit is you take the physical side of things out of the equation and just see if they can hold a conversation. There definitely won't be a kiss because...that would be weird. :LOL:
Anyone figured out how to zoom date like a pro? Last time I fussed for a while over outfit and shoes only to realize they would likely only see the head and shoulders.

#115 ·
Too late Conan -- most old married guys smell like that already!!!!!:ROFLMAO:
Are you trying to create a scent for SINGLE guys so that they can smell like old married guys?
I think your marketing team will have a cow trying to sell THAT one...
I can see the commercial now -- a guy sitting in a recliner in boxers and a wife beater holding a stick to keep all those single young hotties with Daddy issues away???:LOL:

#116 ·
So, I bought a lot of furniture a few weeks ago. The salesgirl was totally hitting on me. She’s been calling me a couple of times a week to update me on my delivery (it’s all coming in pieces due to delays, I ordered furniture for 4 rooms). So I text her and ask her to meet up for a drink this week. She’s accepts right away. Good, we have a place, time and date. Then she text me hours later “we are meeting as friends”. I respond “what, I’ve never been put in the friendzone before a first date”. I cancel. She texts many times saying she’s been interested for weeks on meeting me, sends me selfies, etc. I text her back that this was a mistake. I have enough “friends” and don’t need anymore. She’s pissed. She says she was thinking about me for weeks. Why would I cancel? I don’t respond. She then calls me. Says she “into me”. I said the “friends” comment through me off. She tries to explain it. Said she’s hit on all day in her line of work. I said fine, but don’t tell a guy you are interested in that you are meeting “as friends”. He doesn’t want to hear it. She asks can we still go out? I said no, I’m no longer interested. She hangs up on me. Lol, I’m like I haven’t been hung up on since I was in high school. She was cute, but she’s immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.