Talk About Marriage banner
601 - 615 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That did happen and we moved forward. We were not obligated to one another at the time and I can say we still are not. I ran from the ER doc initially, he treated me in a way I was not used to be treated and I took those as red flags. I was more of the thinking that men who really wanted to be with you were the type to come across with lots of words of adoration as this is what I was used to. In the beginning things were awkward and I was having trouble distinguishing between what words and actions meant from these men. I did break things off with the ER doc and I did help the dentist thru is cancer ordeal and was honest and upfront with ER doc about the situation. It did not sway the ER doc. All of that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Be wary that some part of her, conscious or not, may have a desire to sabotage your successful relationship. Possible motives include envy, or simply trying to justify to herself your approach is inferior to hers.

Maybe acknowledge your advice might not have been welcomed, as you ask to mutually disengage from the topic.
Possibly! I did respond and I told her that this is who I want to be with now. It might not always be but time will tell and I will make that choice.

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
Thank you, that sounds like my situation and like yourself I get these reactions from my friends that he is not genuine because of this or that. I have stopped saying anything. Why can't our lady friends be happy for us and be supportive?
I think many times they're trying to be supportive, but just as you may not have considered that they have different needs and perspectives from you thet also haven't considered that you're not them. So unless you think it's coming from a malicious place I'd assume she's trying to help.

One thing that helped my best friend understand was when I pointed out that my family growing up (she knew them....we've been friends since we were 12 and we're the same age) wasn't very expressive. Yet we all knew we loved each other and we were very close in our own way.

She replied that her family was very expressive and I think that helped her better understand that we're different this way.

But we're also best friends and I have zero doubt that she's in my corner and wants the best for me. If I didn't think that I wouldn't have bothered.

Is this friend worth bothering with? Is she 100% in your corner? Use that to decide what you want to share and if you want to keep the friendship.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I have 2 very good friends, one from Spain and one from Iceland. Both will do anything inside the house but believe men should do "men's work." My stepson married an Italian lady and it was the same thing. She expected to provided for very well.
Ah, but do those women expect the men to take care of them forever and they can go out and have affairs and expect the men to take that??

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Just because it is becoming the "in" thing to do, cheating SUCKS. I don't care if some view it as acceptable. It destroys the marriage, the family, friends, etc.. It's always been around, so in that sense it's part of life, but it still isn't an acceptable part in my view.

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Just because it is becoming the "in" thing to do, cheating SUCKS. I don't care if some view it as acceptable. It destroys the marriage, the family, friends, etc.. It's always been around, so in that sense it's part of life, but it still isn't an acceptable part in my view.
Nor should it be, but alas, the world spins on its own.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have a date tonight with my first introvert lol! This might be trouble because of me being introverted as well, conversation may get kind of rough.

He’s taking me axe throwing. His idea. It’s something I’ve actually been wanting to try for a while so I’m totally down for this. Afterwards I’m taking him out for dinner cause I know we’re both gonna be starving by then.

The place I’m taking him to dinner for is a place that tank and I used to frequent. It’s a dive bar but with great food and live music. At first I thought maybe I would regret taking a date there due to memories but it’s right around the corner from the axe throwing place and I’ve decided to push through with it to see if it will actually be an ok experience. I can’t hide out from these places forever.

I guess I’m mostly worried that tank will end up showing up, but I know I have to push through with that as well. I haven’t seen him in almost 8 months so I don’t know how that would go. I have this really stupid fear of running into him.

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
I have a date tonight with my first introvert lol! This might be trouble because of me being introverted as well, conversation may get kind of rough.

He’s taking me axe throwing. His idea. It’s something I’ve actually been wanting to try for a while so I’m totally down for this. Afterwards I’m taking him out for dinner cause I know we’re both gonna be starving by then.

The place I’m taking him to dinner for is a place that tank and I used to frequent. It’s a dive bar but with great food and live music. At first I thought maybe I would regret taking a date there due to memories but it’s right around the corner from the axe throwing place and I’ve decided to push through with it to see if it will actually be an ok experience. I can’t hide out from these places forever.

I guess I’m mostly worried that tank will end up showing up, but I know I have to push through with that as well. I haven’t seen him in almost 8 months so I don’t know how that would go. I have this really stupid fear of running into him.
Lol the woman I'm seeing now is introverted too!

My first date with her was in a place my ex and I have also been before, so the memories did come back, but facing them and having a new experience did help as now I associate it more neutrally. But second date and third date was all her ideas, and it was much better, places I would never have thought to go. Either way - all 3 were good - but do let him take the lead and be open to new experiences!

I haven't seen my ex for 9 almost 10 months now either, like you it seems my ex still creeps up in my mind from time to time though - both the good and the bad.

Have fun and definitely let us know how it goes!

601 - 615 of 615 Posts