Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 1472 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've not yet started online dating, but I think I will later this year.

I'm braced for all of the potential weird stuff I might experience.

I'm still a little weirded out by a recent experience.

I was waiting at a vehicle place recently and was talking with a man while we both waited, who seemed nice. He asked me to go get coffee with him, but I didn't because I had plans right after my vehicle was ready. We exchanged numbers though and he started texting me.

It quickly got strange because he said he is in love with me. He is from a European country but identifies with yet another culture and English is not his first language, but still. Lots of declarations of love etc. Lots of very intense words and sentiments.

It made me feel very uncomfortable!

He was the first potential date I met organically since the pandemic began but unfortunately this one is a no go for me.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

I was waiting at a vehicle place recently and was talking with a man while we both waited, who seemed nice. He asked me to go get coffee with him, but I didn't because I had plans right after my vehicle was ready. We exchanged numbers though and he started texting me.

It quickly got strange because he said he is in love with me. He is from a European country but identifies with yet another culture and English is not his first language, but still. Lots of declarations of love etc. Lots of very intense words and sentiments.

He was the first potential date I met organically since the pandemic began but unfortunately this one is a no go for me.
Yeah, he sounds weird. Beware the love bombing - it's a popular tactic. And creepy as f*^*. Not to be a cynic but does he have a greencard?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Started chatting with a few folks online and potentially lining up a couple of first dates. One of them I SWEAR I know him from somewhere but he didn't go to my school or work at the same place. It's gonna be creepy if I am like "do I know you from somewhere" and I don't want to look like a stalker so we'll just see if it comes up organically. I think we're gonna get coffee this weekend. :)

The other, weird guy I texted just because we had made dinner plans for first date before he let me know he expected sex after. I texted to let him know I thought we were looking for different things but wishing him luck. He didn't respond. People lack courtesy. Has anyone noticed that?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, he sounds weird. Beware the love bombing - it's a popular tactic. And creepy as f*^*. Not to be a cynic but does he have a greencard?
I dislike this tactic! What do men hope to gain by it, sex? It's an immediate turn off to me.

I don't think he has a green card. He does probably make twice as much as I do, though, with his employment here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
He is from Europe not from Mexico...
Dear Americans, we in Europe have equal high living standards then you guys...
Europe is one of the safest places to live in the World.

We don't travel to America seeking to marry any of you guys to be permitted to live in your country. :rolleyes:

America isn't a better place for us to live and we don't upgrade. Even worse partially. Those who are do migrate to America do it because they like the culture or because of job oportunities, not because they are desperate...

If he was from a poor European country he would have gone to a wealthier European Country and not wasting his money to travel all the way to America.

You should come to Europe. We have clean water and electricity. You aren't the only one in the world...

Off topic off...

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

We don't travel to America seeking to marry any of you guys to be permitted to live in your country. :rolleyes:

America isn't a better place for us to live and we don't upgrade. Even worse partially. Those who are do migrate to America do it because they like the culture or because of job oportunities, not because they are desperate...

If he was from a poor European country it he would have gone to a wealthier European Country and not wasting his money to travel all the way to America.

You should come to Europe. We have clean water and electricity. You aren't the only one in the world...
Wow! Such a response to someone's comment.

Well this man sent his 2 children here from his great European country for college and they both stayed, didn't go back, and live here now because they like it, so there's that.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Wow! Such a response to someone's comment.

Well this man sent his 2 children here from his great European country for college and they both stayed, didn't go back, and live here now because they like it, so there's that.
Funny how purposely blind the poster is to what is going on in Europe especially considering they are from the UK.

Reactions: TXTrini

·
Premium Member
19,673 Posts
Everyone wants something from those they wish to get close to.

This is normal and should be expected.

Determine what they want and what you want and see if these are workable/compatible.

Naturally, most people overstate their positive qualities, and understate, or hide their negatives.

Men are more likely to be players, hence, ladies need to be cautious, so as not to be harmed, or abused.
Nothing new here!

(Yes, ladies can be selfish users, too.)

Always question why a man is not married after, say, 45 or 50 years old.

There could be good reasons or bad ones, but reasons will make themselves known.

...........................................................................................
Here it comes....

I am superstitious, oh, am I ! :oops:

I think some people bring or draw bad luck to themselves.

For example, a guy or gal who has experienced two or three tragedies.

His/her SO's prematurely dying from natural causes, even violent causes.
It need not even be death, it could be ill health, financial ruin, etc..

No, not directly attributed to them in any way, except by association.

Call it, Tragedy by Association, simply, your being near this person, brings you his/hers, now your bad Fate.

Good Luck with your hunt.

King Brian-

Reactions: DownByTheRiver

·
Premium Member
19,673 Posts
Careful!

This is a cruel, blanket statement.

I am sure this is very offensive to native Mexicans, and those of Mexican, or Central American heritage.
Good and bad people live everywhere.

Lilith-

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone wants something from those they wish to get close to.

This is normal and should be expected.

Determine what they want and what you want and see if these are workable/compatible.

Naturally, most people overstate their positive qualities, and understate, or hide their negatives.

Men are more likely to be players, hence, ladies need to be cautious, so as not to be harmed, or abused.
Nothing new here!

(Yes, ladies can be selfish users, too.)

Always question why a man is not married after, say, 45 or 50 years old.

There could be good reasons or bad ones, but reasons will make themselves known.

...........................................................................................
Here it comes....

I am superstitious, oh, am I ! :oops:

I think some people bring or draw bad luck to themselves.

For example, a guy or gal who has experienced two or three tragedies.

His/her SO's prematurely dying from natural causes, even violent causes.
It need not even be death, it could be ill health, financial ruin, etc..

No, not directly attributed to them in any way, except by association.

Call it, Tragedy by Association, simply, your being near this person, brings you his/hers, now your bad Fate.

Good Luck with your hunt.

King Brian-
Uhhh. You know lots of people are single in their 40s or 50s because they are divorced, right?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Cripe, what a weirdo!! I would have asked for a bikini pic first.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

If he was from a poor European country he would have gone to a wealthier European Country and not wasting his money to travel all the way to America.

Off topic off...
Dude, calm down. I'm originally from Europe. I have had people make those assumptions about me too. But I have had an American friend who had someone date them just to try and get a greencard. It is a thing that exists and when someone says I love you before they have even been out for coffee, the cynical, analytical side of my brain starts wondering what they're after from this lady.

Also, your comment is kind of offensive to Mexican people. Perhaps you should go visit Mexico since you're into snap judgements about peoples' countries. It's beautiful, the people are awesome. Maybe you'd like it.

·
Premium Member
19,673 Posts
Uhhh. You know lots of people are single in their 40s or 50s because they are divorced, right?
Uhhh, yeah, but find out why.

Some are abusive, some are duds.

Some are gems and should be snatched up immediately.

Every dating man and woman needs to be somewhat of a jeweler.

A jeweler that can recognize obvious flaws, and those cloudy auras seen in a prospective partners eyes.

A good meat thermometer helps, also.

Lilith-

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

Which European country was he from, and which culture did he identify with? I'm super curious!

The very brief encounters I've had with European men over the years kinda creeped me out, the love-bombing can b way over the top for sure!

1 - 20 of 1472 Posts