Talk About Marriage banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

Premium Member
So your single now!! Is it the freedom and fun you expected.... or boring dull and lonely ??
It's a little of both. There are things I loved about being married and things that I love about being single. There are things I hated when I was married and things I hate about being single.

There's truth is the quote "wherever you go, there you will be". Freedom/ fun and loneliness/boredom are a matter of perspective and initiative. If you don't like where you're at, then figure out why so you can fix it.

Registered
It's wonderful! 馃馃挄

I don't really understand the concept of boredom, and I don't get lonely. And to have a dull life seems lazy? There's so much to enjoy!
Me either! Even in my marriage I was never bored, there was always something to do or something new to learn.

I loved being married and having someone to live life with before DD. It wasn't always great, but I never expected it to be. Like Lila, there are things I love about each, so I'm content either way.

Now, for reference, what do we consider single? Not married or absolutely noone in the picture? I have a bf, so I'm not interested in other men, however I'm still autonomous and do things to suit myself, unless it will negatively affect him.

Registered
Me either! Even in my marriage I was never bored, there was always something to do or something new to learn.

I loved being married and having someone to live life with before DD. It wasn't always great, but I never expected it to be. Like Lila, there are things I love about each, so I'm content either way.

Now, for reference, what do we consider single? Not married or absolutely noone in the picture? I have a bf, so I'm not interested in other men, however I'm still autonomous and do things to suit myself, unless it will negatively affect him.
To me, I am single. No serious relationship, no gf. Just people I hang out with sometimes.

Premium Member
So your single now!! Is it the freedom and fun you expected.... or boring dull and lonely ??
Two thoughts:

1) Why is it one or the other? These two emotions are not mutually exclusive. As a single person I LOVED the freedom to be myself and make my own decisions, doing what I want, when I want, with who I want. And on the occasion I found it boring because there was no drama...so I decided to learn how to live in peace! And on the occasion I found it lonely in that I wasn't sharing my life with another adult, but when I did feel lonely, I went to a women's support group, had lunch with some female friends, or went on a date if there was a man in whom I was interested. I wasn't condemned to a life of solitude ya know? And I am many things, but "dull" isn't one of them! So if it felt boring, dull, or lonely, I go out and do something I'd always wanted to do and never did...

2) I'm not single at the moment, but I was single after my divorce for four years, and I was single after my Dear Hubby passed away for a year and a half. I've been single, and I loved it. Then again, I've been married, and I loved it. Well, I didn't love being married to my cheating ex, but if he had taken the marriage seriously and worked together and stopped cheating I would have made the effort too. And if Dear Hubby hadn't died, we'd still be ecstatically married because he was a truly smart, funny, happy man--I have nothing bad to say about him. And Beloved Hubby? Well man, have ya met him? He's truly AMAZING! (Just look him up: @Emerging Buddhist ). I believe he is the kindest, most compassionate, most thoughtful people I've ever met.

At times it's free and fun to be single--but it can also be freeing and fun to be married. At times it's boring, dull, and lonely to be single--but it can be boring, dull, and lonely in a bad marriage too! And it doesn't always STAY free and fun...or boring and lonely. Sometimes it's just a great day or a bad night. Get past it and live on.

Registered
I am finally adjusted to living on my own. If I made decent money I鈥檇 be happy. I date, but haven鈥檛 found anyone to get serious with. Don鈥檛 know if I will. But if I do, she will likely be a keeper. I鈥檓 not in the same mindset I once was in. I know without a doubt I can find plenty of women to spend time with. So I am able to break things off when I鈥檓 not satisfied.
I鈥檓 rarely Lonely. I was happy married. But glad I at least have the remote possibility of finding someone who truly loves me abb MB d actually has some character. My ex never did.

Premium Member
I've found a relationship to be generally better than singledom. Sex and cooperating on tasks and whatnot.

My single life between separation and new GF was a lot more relaxing than the last few years of my marriage but not as much fun as the first few months of my new relationship.

Registered
For added enjoyment, my son was speaking to his mom this weekend on facetime, and let's just say that single life has not been kind to her. She's gained over 50lbs and appears to have aged by 10 years.
But, she was never really single as she moved her boyfriend in right away. Remember? Wanna bet that when his divorce becomes final (if ever) that he won't marry her - he'll find someone with less mileage and less beef on the hoof.

Registered
If you are happy in a good marriage then for most that is better than being alone.
If you have been in a very unhappy marriage then of course it's nicer to be single.
Most of you here it seems were not in happy marriages.

I thrive in marriage but I would rather be single than be in an abusive marriage or where my spouse was cheating.

Registered
If you are happy in a good marriage then for most that is better than being alone.
If you have been in a very unhappy marriage then of course it's nicer to be single.
Most of you here it seems were not in happy marriages.

I thrive in marriage but I would rather be single than be in an abusive marriage or where my spouse was cheating.
I'd prefer to be married and thrive in marriage too. After my experience, it just doesn't seem worth it, I don't think I can integrate with someone now the way I did at 27 when we started out making a life together.

Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'd have to be 100% certain it would be for life. I don't have it in me to divorce and recover again.

Registered
I love being single. It would have to be someone truly exceptional to make me want to date seriously again!

I love my autonomy and independence. I like not having my income bled away into someone else's priorities. I like not having to defer to someone else's tastes and wants for major decisions instead of never getting my way in any sort of fair compromise. I like pursuing my own hobbies without criticism about them being boring or stupid.

Most of all, I like not being stabbed in the back by the person who is supposed to have my back.

Registered
People say the nice thing about being single is having the freedom to do what you want whenever you want. I have a bit of a different take, for me being single means never having to do things I don't want to do.

And yes, I love having my life to myself.
Yes, that too. Everything is made choice. I also think how some things would seem weird if married, but just freedom if single. For example, If I wake up at 2:00 and decide to run to the all night department store, I do it and there isn鈥檛 anyone around to think it鈥檚 weird or to think something weird is going on.

Reactions: Al_Bundy
21 - 40 of 78 Posts