Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
It sounds to me like he is the type of man who needs time to process conflict and events. It's not "the silent treatment", it's how he works through things. Give him the space, and he'll come back around, maybe with a plan on teaching your puppy bite control. It sounds like he's apologized for what he said.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Is the dog still alive ? Anything that bits me doesn't stay that way long. Might give 1 chance - but if a second time there won't be a third. A no there won't be a discussion about it. If that's the silent treatment - so be it.
You don't have kids, do you? At least, I hope not.

·
Registered
667 Posts
So this morning, my husband and I had an argument. He said some very very hurtful things to me that were completely uncalled for, and of course I got mad. I told him that he had no right to talk to me like that, and that I deserved an apology. Obviously I love him and I’m sure he didn’t mean what he said so if he were to sincerely apologize I would forgive him. However, he has been giving ME the silent treatment all day, even though he was the one who said all of the hurtful things. I’ve more or less stayed out of his way, but also tried to gently make peace with him with no response. What’s up with that? I’m going crazy in my mind here. This is going on 13 hours. Any suggestions on what I could do or why he could be doing this?
That is some people's natural response when they get hurt or angry....the emotions are just too intense and they just shut down and want to just get away from the source.
Those that naturally feel this way may take a long time before the emotions and offense dissipates to where they can get over the strong emotion and openly communicate again.
Since good honest, loving, respectful communication is so vital for a healthy relationship this type can lead to problems. He'd have to want to work on his communication and practice communicating better.
Some people are naturally good at it and some have to work on it.

As per your argument. We are only getting your side of it so we don't really know how this really went down and if you are the wounded party who needs an apology. Maybe. Maybe it is him. It is tough to judge when you are only presented with one side's take on a matter. Everyone justifies themself in their own eyes and everyone usually feels they are in the right.

·
Registered
559 Posts
2&out said:
Is the dog still alive ? Anything that bits me doesn't stay that way long. Might give 1 chance - but if a second time there won't be a third. A no there won't be a discussion about it. If that's the silent treatment - so be it.
You don't have kids, do you? At least, I hope not.

It's worse than you "hope". Two that I raised from 3 yrs old and 6 months as a 100% full legal and physical custody Dad. They had very little contact with their Mom - not seeing or talking to her for years at a time. They aren't kids anymore - they are overachiever both double college degreed 22 and 25 yr young adults. :)) They are awesome and they kick ass.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
All puppies bite…it’s instinctual. Most people realize this and know they will have to train them and there will be some collateral damage. I don’t blame this lady for being upset. His response was over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
On the entire thread (so far), narcissism was only mentioned twice, except for your post that I have quoted here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s my point. The diagnosis of narcissism is rampant on online forums. Who needs professionals anymore?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As far as puppies biting, it’s fine. If the dog gets aggressive, I’d get rid of it. I work for an insurance company and I’ve seen really bad scar cases from dog bites. I’ll never forget a 4 year old girl, blonde hair, blue eyes that had her face mauled by a pit bull that jumped over her fence. Usually, the dog is put down anyway after a bad bite.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Puppies sometimes bite. Its up to the owner(s) to train the puppy not to do that. Takes some time. If it becomes a problem in adult dog, might need to get rid of dog.

Spouses sometimes go silent. Its up to the speaking spouse to train the other spouse that is not acceptable. Might take some time. If it continues, you might need to get rid of immature spouse.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Puppies sometimes bite. Its up to the owner(s) to train the puppy not to do that. Takes some time. If it becomes a problem in adult dog, might need to get rid of dog.

Spouses sometimes go silent. Its up to the speaking spouse to train the other spouse that is not acceptable. Might take some time. If it continues, you might need to get rid of immature spouse.
Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
Update: he is still being a little reclusive but he did apologize for treating me poorly
That's good, but it doesn't go far enough. You need to sit down with him and set a firm boundary about the silent treatment, and let him know that you won't tolerate it.

O -- one of each.
Really? You'd euthanise a puppy for mouthing?? It's the owners job to teach bite inhibition, not pups fault.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts