Talk About Marriage banner

141 - 160 of 654 Posts

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
I hope people realise that it is just posturing and rhetoric (by Trump).
The reason America has been falling behind is not because it is ‘bending over’ for other countries, it’s simple economics: other countries (like China) are becoming more efficient. China also owns a significant proportion of the US. And the US needs China too.
His posturing is not going to fix people’s frustrations about this.
What’s Ivanka going to do?

The best ‘deals’ are not done by mocking your partner via Twitter, puffing up your chest and acting all tough. I just hope it won’t blow up in America’s face and become the new standard for the ‘Art of the Deal’.
China is not the only country that has the capability to manufacture clothing. Of course now even clothing has become a political tool.

If the best 'deals' are not done by mocking your partner, then perhaps China should have been more careful for years and years when they were stealing US developed technology, charging the US high tariffs for just about everything that the US exports to China but paying little to no tariffs for importing into the US. China would also not be constantly pulling cyber attacks on the US government and industry. At one point they were able to listen in on ever on-line meeting and download all files on the computers at DOE, DOD and the US companies that contract with them.

If China was acutely a partner, the would not have sold the US parts for our defense systems that are substandard quality and fail under any stress. They would not have developed software for US aircraft and defense that has a back door that would allow them to shut it off or redirect the aircraft to do whatever they wanted. Or how about their software front and back doors on cell phones that allows them to collet data on people in countries like the UK and the US?

·
Banned
8,124 Posts
Typical ploy by leftists, call everyone racist, then dismiss them.

"All the studies", really? I can show you studies that show something very different.

I know this is not true because almost all the people I know are who voted for Trump are not 'white'. They are mostly Hispanic or mixed white/Hispanic. Most of the 'white' people I know voted for Hillary.

Keep in mind that where I live, "white" people are a minority.

I didn’t call anyone here ‘racist’. Nor am I a ’lefty’. (Ok, I used to be left handed...my grandmother didn’t like it and changed me maybe that’s why I’m so messed up...).

There’s this phenomena, and i don’t know the name for it, perhaps someone can help me with proper terminology.... (I’m also not saying anyone here has got it).

But I have not infrequently encountered ex-immigrants, who have strived to assimilate so hard in their new country, that they exhibited highly ‘racist’ behaviour against their own. There are a number of Polish people I know in London who won’t talk to other Poles. In Germany, here and US, I encountered many Russians who hated anything to do with Russian culture and so on...
My wife, being half Asian, had to endure a lot of ‘racist’ comments while in Germany, mostly commenting on her appearance (she looks more Italian actually, on balance) from other foreigners.

In US, the most ‘racist’ encounters I ever had, were with people who were not born in the US themselves....
Which would seem completely counterintuitive, right? (Because you can never ‘betray’ your ‘own kind’. Well, apparently you can).

I can actually understand where that comes from, psychologically: someone from a ‘minority’ background, ends up in a country or within a society that is the ‘dominant’ one and they begin to benefit from it. They then try so hard to assimilate and stick with the ‘strong’ (which is a natural survival mechanism) that they overcompensate by over-exaggerating certain traits that the ‘dominant’ culture or race may or may not be exhibiting (which could include racism, but doesn’t have to), sometimes at the expense of ‘their own’ people.

It doesn’t happen to everyone, by far not. Actually the majority probably still embrace and treasure their own culture. And for many more, it’s not so clear cut and they establish some kind of equilibrium and come to terms with it all.
I found it very peculiar though. But I can tell you it happens.

Anyway, my broader point is that background doesn’t ‘absolve’ or excuse anyone of anything. If somebody envisions or endorses a society that has questionable values, it’s all the same what their background is. In my opinion.

I would not jump to say that I KNOW what society Trump envisions. But I couldn’t say the signs so far have been encouraging...Though I believe it stems more from ignorance and lack of intellect rather than anything very sinister.
But it doesn’t help that particular groups DO find fondness in his line of thinking.
And that, i think, matters more than what he personally truly thinks. Me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
"If China was acutely a partner, the would not have sold the US parts for our defense systems that are substandard quality and fail under any stress. "

The US military industrial complex has amply demonstrated their ability to match Chinese substandard quality but at far higher prices

https://warontherocks.com/2014/12/top-10-failed-defense-programs-of-the-rma-era/

WTF are we buying defense components from China?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
309 Posts
China is not the only country that has the capability to manufacture clothing. Of course now even clothing has become a political tool.

If the best 'deals' are not done by mocking your partner, then perhaps China should have been more careful for years and years when they were stealing US developed technology, charging the US high tariffs for just about everything that the US exports to China but paying little to no tariffs for importing into the US. China would also not be constantly pulling cyber attacks on the US government and industry. At one point they were able to listen in on ever on-line meeting and download all files on the computers at DOE, DOD and the US companies that contract with them.
Isn't that just a little hypocritical to say that as an American - your country is well known for spying on just about everybody, including your allies. No one claims that China is behaving well when it comes to trade, but trade wars is not a solution that works against them. There is a huge risk that you will end up hurting yourself.

If China was acutely a partner, the would not have sold the US parts for our defense systems that are substandard quality and fail under any stress. They would not have developed software for US aircraft and defense that has a back door that would allow them to shut it off or redirect the aircraft to do whatever they wanted.
You shouldn't buy such crap - it is what you get if you buy cheap. Backdoors - look below...

Or how about their software front and back doors on cell phones that allows them to collet data on people in countries like the UK and the US?
You mean as the Americans do?

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
Actually, no.

Americans and many of their Representatives want it. It's not the Hollywood elite that create roadblocks, but businesses.

Look up the Goodlatte amendment sometimes.

So far, Trump's immigration policy has been unfruitful. No meaningful changes to h1b. No end to h4 EAD. H1b has been replaced with the much easier to get F1 OPT. No wall. 100k a month crossings. Caravans. Considerable reduction in tourism and students coming to the USA. No enforcement of employers. No mandatory E-verify.

I'm a legal immigrant here and have gone through the system, incidentally... Trump can build a few dozen miles of wall, call it a success, have a photo op, and be done. But no meaningful changes. All while he had House and Senate.
It is Congress, not the President that creates laws. Changes to H1B have to come from Congress.

He did not have the House and the Senate because the Republicans in them did not support him. Remember that he was not the choice of the Republican party. Odd how people seem to forget this.

The decline international tourism to the USA started to drop in 2016, before Trump was elected.

In 2016, 75.9 million people visited the U.S., down from 77.5 million the previous year.
Tourism to the US is in a 'Trump slump' - truth or fiction?

·
Banned
309 Posts
Really? Is that how you want the police to treat you? We don’t have any proof you have done anything.... it we want every document from the past 10 years....every communication you’ve ever had with your lawyers/accountants...you know....just to see. That what you want??
If you want to be President of the USA or leader of any other democratic nation, you submit yourself to a special set of rules. You must be clean and you can expect to be investigated in order to make sure this is the truth. This comes with the job, and it is only fair to the voters who trusted you with the responsibility it is to have such a powerful and important job. You can't be prosecuted in the normal justice system, instead, you can be impeached by Congress, whose job it is to investigate the President and other government officials in case of suspicion of illegalities

This is exactly what has been happening in this case, and there is proof of illegal actions committed by the President.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you want to be President of the USA or leader of any other democratic nation, you submit yourself to a special set of rules. You must be clean and you can expect to be investigated in order to make sure this is the truth. This comes with the job, and it is only fair to the voters who trusted you with the responsibility it is to have such a powerful and important job. You can't be prosecuted in the normal justice system, instead, you can be impeached by Congress, whose job it is to investigate the President and other government officials in case of suspicion of illegalities

This is exactly what has been happening in this case, and there is proof of illegal actions committed by the President.

So awesome we have a Danish citizen to explain home personal rights for US citizens go out the window when elected to office. Thanks for the heads up. {smh}

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
Isn't that just a little hypocritical to say that as an American - your country is well known for spying on just about everybody, including your allies.
All countries spy on everyone else, to include their allies. China has gone to a completely different level. Since the Chinese government owns a good part of all businesses in China. For example, a large percentage of their cyber attacks have the goal of harming, even shutting down, private companies and government entities.
When allies spy on each other, it’s to gather info, not to damage each other. Enemies go beyond that to the point that its no longer info gathering but instead attempts to destroy the other. China seeks to harm the US in their spying and cyber attacks.

No one claims that China is behaving well when it comes to trade, but trade wars is not a solution that works against them. There is a huge risk that you will end up hurting yourself.
Exactly how would the us be harmed if we never bought another thing from China, exactly how will that hurt us? We can manufacture our own products, or we can get them from Mexico, India or other countries that are happy for the trade.

We export so little to China that there is really no net benefit to a trade relationship with them. Any relationship that is almost 100% one side is not one worth keeping.

The US wants symbiotic trade relationships, not ones that just sucks everything out of our economy without an equal inflow into our economy.
You shouldn't buy such crap - it is what you get if you buy cheap. Backdoors - look below...
Exactly. We do not need to buy crap from China. Especially not when they do not want fair trade.
You mean as the Americans do?
The backdoors put in cell phones by Chinese companies is meant to collect data that can be used to pull scams on American citizens… like collecting bank account info, passwords, etc. They collect the data and either use it in their scams or sell it to the highest bidder. Criminals today do not even need to leave their home, they just sit at a computer, make phone calls or work with ransom ware. The Chinese government owns part of every company in that country. So their government is part of the illegal scam industry.

This sort of activity is illegal in the US. The big US cell phone companies keep track of cell tower hits and which number is calling/texting and/or using the internet connections. They do not collect private data to exploit and sell to crim syndicates.

·
Registered
821 Posts

You mean the fabricated “proof”, right? That’s all Hitler needed too. And the witch hunts in Salem. Cool...give me a minute...got some proof for you about your Prime Minister. Hang on....looking...it’s around here somewhere...where did I put that....that Rasmussen dossier....it’s in a blue folder. Wait....here it is. Wow...look how dirty this guy is. Holy CRAP....it even involves the Queen!! We MUST get to the bottom of this!!!

·
Banned
309 Posts
Pretty much yes, that's the way we see him. We see him as someone who is not afraid to try to put America at the head of the pack where the view is not look at the azz holes of other world leaders.
Even if he were a strong man, this tactic comes with a risk of someone else having the upper hand, so it backfires seriously - my guess is, that to try to do this with China and the EU may prove to be a very bad idea.

I don't see a strong man. I see a selfish man with narcissistic tendencies playing the "Make America Great Again" game in order to make Donald Trump great, a man who's willing to do anything to achieve that, even if it's immoral or illegal.

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
"If China was acutely a partner, the would not have sold the US parts for our defense systems that are substandard quality and fail under any stress. "

The US military industrial complex has amply demonstrated their ability to match Chinese substandard quality but at far higher prices

https://warontherocks.com/2014/12/top-10-failed-defense-programs-of-the-rma-era/
Yep Congress, DOD and DOE love to waste our money.

WTF are we buying defense components from China?
That's exactly what a lot of people want to know.

We also use software developers in China, Russia and other questionable countries to develop defense systems. Shoot even to develop/manage secure communications system similar to skype. It's crazy.

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
I didn’t call anyone here ‘racist’. Nor am I a ’lefty’. (Ok, I used to be left handed...my grandmother didn’t like it and changed me maybe that’s why I’m so messed up...).

There’s this phenomena, and i don’t know the name for it, perhaps someone can help me with proper terminology.... (I’m also not saying anyone here has got it).

But I have not infrequently encountered ex-immigrants, who have strived to assimilate so hard in their new country, that they exhibited highly ‘racist’ behaviour against their own. There are a number of Polish people I know in London who won’t talk to other Poles. In Germany, here and US, I encountered many Russians who hated anything to do with Russian culture and so on...
My wife, being half Asian, had to endure a lot of ‘racist’ comments while in Germany, mostly commenting on her appearance (she looks more Italian actually, on balance) from other foreigners.

In US, the most ‘racist’ encounters I ever had, were with people who were not born in the US themselves....
Which would seem completely counterintuitive, right? (Because you can never ‘betray’ your ‘own kind’. Well, apparently you can).

I can actually understand where that comes from, psychologically: someone from a ‘minority’ background, ends up in a country or within a society that is the ‘dominant’ one and they begin to benefit from it. They then try so hard to assimilate and stick with the ‘strong’ (which is a natural survival mechanism) that they overcompensate by over-exaggerating certain traits that the ‘dominant’ culture or race may or may not be exhibiting (which could include racism, but doesn’t have to), sometimes at the expense of ‘their own’ people.

It doesn’t happen to everyone, by far not. Actually the majority probably still embrace and treasure their own culture. And for many more, it’s not so clear cut and they establish some kind of equilibrium and come to terms with it all.
I found it very peculiar though. But I can tell you it happens.

Anyway, my broader point is that background doesn’t ‘absolve’ or excuse anyone of anything. If somebody envisions or endorses a society that has questionable values, it’s all the same what their background is. In my opinion.

I would not jump to say that I KNOW what society Trump envisions. But I couldn’t say the signs so far have been encouraging...Though I believe it stems more from ignorance and lack of intellect rather than anything very sinister.
But it doesn’t help that particular groups DO find fondness in his line of thinking.
And that, i think, matters more than what he personally truly thinks. Me thinks.
Ah, so now you are saying that any non-white person who voted for Trump is racist against his/her own race.

I have known people who do what you are talking about. But using this as a way to dismiss any non-white who voted for Trump is, well, racist.

Race baiting at it's best.

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
Even if he were a strong man, this tactic comes with a risk of someone else having the upper hand, so it backfires seriously - my guess is, that to try to do this with China and the EU may prove to be a very bad idea.

I don't see a strong man. I see a selfish man with narcissistic tendencies playing the "Make America Great Again" game in order to make Donald Trump great, a man who's willing to do anything to achieve that, even if it's immoral or illegal.
If he was willing to do anything immoral or illegal to achieve what YOU THINK he envisions, he would not be following the law with things like immigration. Instead he would have the military at our border shooting/killing ever non-US citizen trying to enter the country. He would have minorities in chains (remember this is about what YOU THINK he envisions, not what he does actually envision)… and a lot more.

The baseless hyperbole only makes the far left look more and more unhinged.

·
Banned
8,124 Posts
Ah, so now you are saying that any non-white person who voted for Trump is racist against his/her own race.

I have known people who do what you are talking about. But using this as a way to dismiss any non-white who voted for Trump is, well, racist.

Race baiting at it's best.

Do you know if there’s a name for that?
I wouldn’t call it racist exactly. More like survival mode.
I imagine in the past when whole tribes have been exterminated, some had to adapt very quickly, to survive.
This behaviour is much harder to spot ‘cos you wouldn’t expect it.

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
I hope they keep it up. They will ensure President Trump's reelection. They had the house for over a year, and what have they done for the American people?
This was exactly my point in answering the question in the title of this thread. Whether a person wants Trump for another term or not is not the point. The point is that the only platform that the Democrats have is 'Hate Trump'. They will lose in 2020 if they don't stop it.

·
Banned
8,124 Posts

But that’s precisely the thing that many who voted for him seem to value so much; they feel they have been somehow screwed over so much by everyone else before Trump (as well as other many countries) that they feel need somebody who is ‘qualified’ at screwing people on their behalf, instead of ‘diplomatically’ receiving anal treatment...
I can understand where they are coming from but in my opinion it’s shortsighted and the risks way outweighs the potential benefits.

I hired once somebody like that. That was precisely my thinking. It backfired tremendously and I almost went under. It’s like the flu virus; it’s self-limiting, if it’s too aggressive.

·
Banned
8,124 Posts
If he was willing to do anything immoral or illegal to achieve what YOU THINK he envisions, he would not be following the law with things like immigration. Instead he would have the military at our border shooting/killing ever non-US citizen trying to enter the country. He would have minorities in chains (remember this is about what YOU THINK he envisions, not what he does actually envision)… and a lot more.

But he was doing precisely that (trying to circumvent the law or regular order of things), when he tried to invoke the national ‘emergency’ act for the immigration and also with the trade wars. He is the kind of guy who will jump the queue full of grandmothers and disabled to get ahead. But I guess that’s ok with people.

·
Banned
309 Posts
All countries spy on everyone else, to include their allies. China has gone to a completely different level. Since the Chinese government owns a good part of all businesses in China. For example, a large percentage of their cyber attacks have the goal of harming, even shutting down, private companies and government entities.
When allies spy on each other, it’s to gather info, not to damage each other. Enemies go beyond that to the point that its no longer info gathering but instead attempts to destroy the other. China seeks to harm the US in their spying and cyber attacks.
I don't think they are worse than the US

Exactly how would the us be harmed if we never bought another thing from China, exactly how will that hurt us? We can manufacture our own products, or we can get them from Mexico, India or other countries that are happy for the trade.

We export so little to China that there is really no net benefit to a trade relationship with them. Any relationship that is almost 100% one side is not one worth keeping.

The US wants symbiotic trade relationships, not ones that just sucks everything out of our economy without an equal inflow into our economy.
I think your auto industries will miss selling the 267000 cars worth $9.9 billion if they start buying them in Germany instead. Your farmers will not like it if the export of agricultural products drops. China may start buying them elsewhere (and we would be glad to sell them some more pork). On the import side; Most of the electronic companies, such as Apple and HP, will have to look elsewhere to get their products manufactured, which will result in higher consumer prices, which again will hurt their ability to compete with other companies - Huawei and Samsung for example. Everything is linked together, so it's not that simple.

The backdoors put in cell phones by Chinese companies is meant to collect data that can be used to pull scams on American citizens… like collecting bank account info, passwords, etc. They collect the data and either use it in their scams or sell it to the highest bidder. Criminals today do not even need to leave their home, they just sit at a computer, make phone calls or work with ransom ware. The Chinese government owns part of every company in that country. So their government is part of the illegal scam industry.

This sort of activity is illegal in the US. The big US cell phone companies keep track of cell tower hits and which number is calling/texting and/or using the internet connections. They do not collect private data to exploit and sell to crim syndicates.
This is simply not true. Chinese companies are not involved in this kind of activity, it would kill their businesses immediately. According to the IP addresses, most ransomware criminals are located in Russia - this seems to be a national sport there, just as most telephone scammers are from India.
In regard to collecting personal data on the internet - no one is worse than Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple. Except of course your intelligence services, but that is different - or is it?

·
Administrator
42,526 Posts
Do you know if there’s a name for that?
I wouldn’t call it racist exactly. More like survival mode.
I imagine in the past when whole tribes have been exterminated, some had to adapt very quickly, to survive.
This behaviour is much harder to spot ‘cos you wouldn’t expect it.
The most obvious example of this is George Soros. He joined the Nazi's in persecuting his own people. Then after the war he took what he learned from the Nazi's to build a financial empire by sowing discord in countries causing their collapse and them stealing all that he could from them.

However, what you are describing is not why many Hispanics in the US support Trump. More and more blacks are as well.

It's insulting those who do not vote the way the left, or you, want to vote by saying that they are doing it because they are so scared of being exterminated that they are in survival mode.

The people, Hispanics, I know who voted for Trump are judges, lawyers, doctors, nurses, engineers, artists, ranchers, farmers, and on and on. They are not scare little people afraid of the evil white man so the vote to survive. One of the main thing they all want is control of the border. They are tired of the crime and drugs that the border chaos has brought to our state. It's not about discriminating against anyone. It's about wanting law and order; wanting strong immigration laws and border security and wanting them enforced.

Your view of things here in the US is just bizarre.

Look at the whole thing about voter ID. Democrats say that it's voter suppression because blacks and other people of color cannot get IDs because: they don't know how to get one; or they cannot get to a DMV; or any other of a long list of things that basically means that they are so unable to function as humans that they cannot get an ID. That's ridiculous and insulting.

·
Banned
309 Posts

I didn't say he is stupid, he's good at exploiting the system to get what he wants, and he's willing to bend the rules as much as possible. I agree with what InMyPrime wrote.

141 - 160 of 654 Posts