Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now. A few months ago, he left for Pharmacy school. We had talked about getting marriage before, so we stayed together through a small long distance relationship so far. I am graduating college this year, and am getting ready to find a job, settle down, and want to start a family. Not only am I just getting ready for this, but I also do not want to be an old bride or an old mom. My boyfriend's will be in Pharmacy school for 4 years, and then will do a residency out of state for 2 more years after that. I do not know if I should wait for him or not. He wants to wait for financial and time reasons, and I understand that. However, I am not sure I want to commit to a relationship where I am going to have to put my life on hold, and possibly have to deal with a long distance relationship for 6 more years! What should I do? Please help!

·
Registered
132 Posts
This definatly seems like a tough desision for you to have to make..
I guess you have to ask your self how much do you love this guy??? Long distance relationships are hard work and require effort and commitment for them to succed... if you love each other enough i think anything is possible. How far away is he doing his studies? Is there any way that you could relocate to be with him when he is studing? and find a job there?
Do you mind me asking what your age is? I totally understand not wanting to be an old bride or an old mom, is he aware of this ? Being older parents i am sure has its advantages but speaking as a younger wife and mother of 2, the men sometimes do not understand our reasonings behind this...My advise would be to have a good sit down talk and lay everything on the table so that way you know where each other stands and what you both want, it woukd be a shame to give up a 3 yr relationship..

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I dont think you should wait. I second guessed myself with my H and waited when he said it was because of finances, etc. but if i could do it over again i would not have waited. i have had to work through a lot of resentment because of it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
the art of compromise and negotiation are essential to a successful relationship

however

(don't you know when someone says however they usually mean ignore what i said previously:D:lol::sleeping::confused::):(:eek::p)

given your circumstances i don't appreciate your urgency to grow a family, nor do i fully appreciate your boyfriend's trepidation

but i do understand you shouldn't allow your life to be dictated by the meaningless cultural, social concepts of 'old bride' or 'old mom'

and as long as you have such thoughts, my advice is please wait to grow a family

slow down

until you fully appreciate the definitional chimera of 'old mom'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.