Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been married for 22 years. Have 4 children. The last 3 years have not been very good. This past year has been the worst. In the spring I really thought about leaving and discussed this with him. I was getting bored with my life. Sex was just about non-existent. We quit doing things together. We were sleeping in separate rooms and hardly talking to each other and I'm sure my 2 children that still live at home could sense the tension. I was seeing a counselor for other reasons and told her about this situation. She suggested we both come in to see her. Husband agreed. We talked with her and I told them how I felt. Last year my mother passed away and it was like he didn't care at all. Did not console me at all. I felt so alone. Anyway, I read about this idea online. Both of us would write down things that we like to do and put them in a jar. Once a week we would take turns and pick from each others jar and plan to do what the slip of paper said. It worked fine for about a couple of months. The summer was busy and he would go to the parents cottage and I would stay home since I didn't feel comfortable there with the inlaws. On his short weekends I would plan little overnight getaways for us. October was our anniversary and we went on an overnight getaway, where, once again, I planned the getaway. I had a good time but did not feel connected to him like I use to. Since we got home we are back to being where we were not doing anything together. We are back to sleeping in separate rooms, which is ok because he snores terribly and I don't get any sleep. This past weekend we went out with friends, but I had to twist his arm to do that. He said he just wants to stay home and get stuff done.

Besides that I am hypothyroid(low). He has not been supportive or understanding about this at all. He thinks everything is all in my head and doesn't do anything to try to help. It would be nice if he cooked supper once or did dishes or something around the house. This thyroid disorder is really dragging me down. He really doesn't understand.

I'm really tired and on several occassions have considered just leaving, but I have my kids at home to think about.

I really don't think this situation is going to get any better. I feel the counseling isn't working anymore and I'm just not feeling the connection anymore.

Sorry for the long post and sort of ranting, but I am so confused and don't know what to do. I have not slept much in the last three nights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is just my thoughts and I'm no one special. Marriage is hard , , sex and love bring us together but being able to put up with each others bull**** is key. We all have quirky habits that are either tolerable or not. Love is great, good sex every once in awhile is nice but once we can no longer deal with their bull**** it's over. Can you still deal with it ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is probably a lot more to the story. Your husband may be passive aggressive. He is upset about something(s) and feels that you did not act appropriately on issues that were significant to him in the past. Therefore he is making you feel the way he felt.
You said that you don't feel comfortable around his parents. That alone will cause lots of resentment on his part. I think you both have some skeletons in the closet that need to be aired out. Until then, you will just keep sweating the small stuff (like his lack of cooking) which he probably never did and wasn't a big issue in the past.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why do you think leaving and being alone is better than having a husband and kids together? If he isn't supportive but let you do your own thing, why is it better for divorce? To destroy your children?

There are more to this story. So what is it?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
To make your man happy, figure out what his emotional needs are and meet them. In turn he will do the same back to you.

·
Banned
5,402 Posts
What is going on with the in-laws? Can you think of other ways his emotional needs weren't met? Is he depressed? Does he drink?
Sorry you are going through this. Not getting any compassion from your husband is the worst feeling.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
293 Posts
It sounds like you are down with depression and thyroid issues. I wouldnt do anything until your health is in better condition. When you feel better, he may perk up too. You're jumping the gun on a marraige that could still work.
If theres not any lying,deceipt or abuse - why check out?
Give it time and counceling.
Invest some time into your marraige- counceling etc...don't give up - you have more than most. (from what I've read).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I really don't think this situation is going to get any better. I feel the counseling isn't working anymore and I'm just not feeling the connection anymore.
All of us have to choose every day whether we want to act on our feelings or act on a code of right and wrong that may not be consistent with our feelings. Ultimately we all have to decide whether we want to be in relationship or aloneness. It's your choice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Besides that I am hypothyroid(low). He has not been supportive or understanding about this at all. He thinks everything is all in my head and doesn't do anything to try to help. It would be nice if he cooked supper once or did dishes or something around the house. This thyroid disorder is really dragging me down. He really doesn't understand.

I'm really tired and on several occassions have considered just leaving, but I have my kids at home to think about.

Sorry - I just re-read. Health issues that don't fit into a cast or not visible are the hardest. Wondering if you can work with him on educating him on your illness. Counseling/talking to him and asking him to go with you to your doc appts. so the doc can talk to him and explain the severity.

My step mom left my father becuase of lack of help / support for her illness. But he was also a heavy drinker and it was always about his needs. So she did go to counceling and eventually left him.

Hang in there.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
...Besides that I am hypothyroid(low). He has not been supportive or understanding about this at all. He thinks everything is all in my head and doesn't do anything to try to help. It would be nice if he cooked supper once or did dishes or something around the house. This thyroid disorder is really dragging me down. He really doesn't understand..
OK, there is something else going on here. I get that you don't feel appreciated; but, this hypothyroidism is total BS. It takes little time to correct hypothyroidism with a simple pill once a day, even in people whose entire thyroid gland has been removed surgically! So you are using this as an excuse and he seems to have keyed on this as well.

You seem depressed and undoubtedly there is way more to this story then you are sharing. I think you guys need to work a little more on the his need/her needs spectrum and stick to a plan for mending your relationship.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Lots of men do not deal with death & illness the way WE WANT THEM TO. I know it sucks & we want more support & sympathy from our spouses. If he is otherwise a good man, stop resenting him for that.

You are not alone with your feelings after a long marriage. If you both want it, you will find ways to re-connect. The fact that your husband went to counseling shows his desire to stay married.

If there is no abuse and/or addictions then I think you need to be the change you want to happen. Your husband's job is NOT to make you happy. That is your job.

The grass is not greener. A divorced woman with 4 children is NOT very attractive to single men.

I do wish you the best.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If he isn't supportive but let you do your own thing, why is it better for divorce? To destroy your children?
It's a misnomer to assume divorce is going to destroy the children. Is it better for the children to grow up in a home where mom and dad are miserable or to share their time between two homes where mom and dad live happy fulfilling lives?

I've been divorced for 9 years now. I have a son in university getting marks in the 80's, participating in various sports and having an active social life. My daughter is still at home getting marks in the 90's (hoping to go to medical school), participating in organized sports and also enjoying an active social life. I don't believe my divorce destroyed their lives.

I think a lot of people stay in unhappy relationships because they're afraid of losing the crutch, "I'm not happy because of my spouse". I'm trying to teach my kids to be responsible for their own happiness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KanDo, I have several friends who have thyroid disorder. One of them said it took her 5 years to get her dosage correct before she felt better. She went from doctor to doctor. Unless you have this disorder, please do not comment that it is BS. People are different and what medication works for one person doesn't always work for others. My doctor has also said that alot of people get depressed because of their thyroid. I do agree that I do have some depression and I believe it is because of the thyroid. Thyroid messes up your whole body. Believe me I have done alot of reading and research on this. Thank you for your post anyway.

·
Registered
606 Posts
don't throw away this marriage. it sounds like there's still a spark there. try to find more things to do together, even if it's chores - do them together. maybe go to a gym together. maybe plan a date night once/week. maybe he cares but you're not hearing him. does he know this marriage is on the line? is it really over? has it been over for a while, or is this just a really bad bump in the road. if the last 3 years have been bad, then you've had 19 good years. that's worth a lot. you can get there again. try harder every day to help yourself find more happiness with yourself.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
It's a misnomer to assume divorce is going to destroy the children. Is it better for the children to grow up in a home where mom and dad are miserable or to share their time between two homes where mom and dad live happy fulfilling lives?

I've been divorced for 9 years now. I have a son in university getting marks in the 80's, participating in various sports and having an active social life. My daughter is still at home getting marks in the 90's (hoping to go to medical school), participating in organized sports and also enjoying an active social life. I don't believe my divorce destroyed their lives.

I think a lot of people stay in unhappy relationships because they're afraid of losing the crutch, "I'm not happy because of my spouse". I'm trying to teach my kids to be responsible for their own happiness.
It's difficult to speak for other's situations, because we haven't walked in their shoes and don't know all the details, all I have is my situation. My wife divorced me a couple of years ago because she was "no longer happy." It took my kids, who are now 11 and 14, by total surprise. We weren't yelling and throwing pots at each other, my wife just decided things weren't as exciting as they could be in life and a divorce would cure it and make her happy. We had this nice little Mayberry life that our kids loved, but she became bored.

Her attitude was that the kids would get over it and be ok. Well, sure they will get over it. What other choice do they have? Neither of my kids have jumped off a cliff and rarely seem bothered, but my son sometimes makes comments about "remembering the good ol' times" and he will talk about how things used to be. Sometimes my daughter will say, "I didn't ask for this divorce, dad. Mom was stupid."

So, I don't think it was a good thing for my kids. If my wife had decided to give it all she had rather than bail out, I think it would have been better for our kids. My x tried dating for a while, and my daughter threw such a fit that she stopped. My kids think the whole thing is ridiculous, but they have no choice but to suck it up and go on.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. I would try and get my health on track before I make any rash decisions. You also sound very down.

It is hard when your spouse does not support you. I have Lupus and my ex did not understand at all why I did not feel good. He never went to a dr. appt. with me or even read about Lupus and what it is. It was a major factor in our divorce. We were married for 23 years and had three adult kids and it was a quick divorce but not without pain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
don't throw away this marriage. it sounds like there's still a spark there. try to find more things to do together, even if it's chores - do them together. maybe go to a gym together. maybe plan a date night once/week. maybe he cares but you're not hearing him. does he know this marriage is on the line? is it really over? has it been over for a while, or is this just a really bad bump in the road. if the last 3 years have been bad, then you've had 19 good years. that's worth a lot. you can get there again. try harder every day to help yourself find more happiness with yourself.
Thanks for your post. We have tried doing things together. We joined a gym, have done the date nights 1-2 times a week. I also got this idea from the internet - You each write down things that you like to do on little sheets of paper. You each put them into a jar. Each week take turns and pull a slip from the other's jar and go and do what it said. That was fun. We both got to do things that we wanted with the other person. Ok it worked for about a month. Now my husband is back to - I just want to stay home on my days off work. It's not like I'm asking him to spend every day off doing something with me. What's a few hours out of 2-3 days? This past weekend I made plans for us to go out with some friends we haven't seen in a few months. He was not happy about it and I'm sure our friends sensed the tension. My question is can you really get back the passion and closeness that you once had??

·
Registered
143 Posts
He sounds like he's not that bad. Maybe he's not feeling so great either and that's why he wants to stay home on his days off. You can always go do things with your friends and kids without him going too. Im reading a book called Choose to be Happy and apparently we have to actively choose to be happy on a day to day basis. I wouldnt leave your marriage without trying a new therapist and taking 15 or 20 minutes out of your day to sit down and talk, give each other your undivided attention for 15 minutes every day. Try to build a connection and closeness through communicating first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.