Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive been in my relationship for over 2 years now. In these past 2 years I've made mistakes. My last mistake resulted
in my Boyfriend not wanting to visit my family or house. his explanation is that I have to learn that my actions have consequences and he does not feel comfortable going around my family. My problem is that its been 3 months now and I feel like im being punished for my mistakes which have been forgiven. not only that but since then I've been putting work into myself and my life and the relationship to grow from all this. so is he simply becoming to comfortable with the idea that he doesn't have to come around my family? Am I allowing it to go for too long? or should I just continue to give him time? during the holidays I really wanted him to come with my family as well and he decided not to. to continue his answer "you need to learn that your actions have consequences". I told him thats what I wanted for Christmas and of course its the same answer... Should I feel upset? or am I being too pushy and need to be more understanding?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to go too into depth but for example lets say we were drinking at the beach and then we all had too much to drink. id become an angry person towards anything and pick a fight. always stupid fights but still we'd fight. Last time it turned into a show between me and a friend and he tried to intervene and it was just chaotic for no reason.

·
Premium Member
6,640 Posts
To me, the main question is - can you live this way? Truly? Genuinely?

If he never changes his mind, is that okay with you? Are you willing to go to your family gatherings alone, with a good attitude? No gossiping. No pouting.

Can you have peace of mind about this specific issue and carry on and never bring it up again?

If you can, then do that.

If you can't or won't, then consider ending your relationship.

He's a boyfriend - not a husband.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't want to go too into depth but for example lets say we were drinking at the beach and then we all had too much to drink. id become an angry person towards anything and pick a fight. always stupid fights but still we'd fight. Last time it turned into a show between me and a friend and he tried to intervene and it was just chaotic for no reason.
I hate to say it, but this doesn't cut it, at least as far as the implications of the OP goes. It sounds like the consequences are somehow tied to action with or by family. Unless I am missing something, there has to be a reason why not seeing your family is the consequence. We need more to go on. Remember this is an anonymous forum. We only know what you tell us. So it's not like we can out you to people you know.

Sent from my cp3705A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
My opinion, you need help. Your behavior is unacceptable in a relationship, assuming you want it to be healthy.

You also need to dump him as that seems very controlling and does not bode well for the future.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Reading between the lines I’d say that you humiliated and embarrassed him in front of your friends and family and because you have “moved on” you feel he should too.
Would this be a fair assumption?

·
Registered
946 Posts
My opinion, you need help. Your behavior is unacceptable in a relationship, assuming you want it to be healthy.

You also need to dump him as that seems very controlling and does not bode well for the future.
I'm not so sure. Until I hear the reasoning behind it, he may or may not be in the right. If her family was being hurtful or otherwise negative about it, and she never defended him, then the appropriate consequence is occurring. If this consequence comes from never doing the dishes or laundry, then he is being an arse. But the OP has not yet provided the details needed to determine this.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I'm not so sure. Until I hear the reasoning behind it, he may or may not be in the right. If her family was being hurtful or otherwise negative about it, and she never defended him, then the appropriate consequence is occurring. If this consequence comes from never doing the dishes or laundry, then he is being an arse. But the OP has not yet provided the details needed to determine this.

Meh, 3 months, and even saying "you need to learn that your actions have consequences" seems awfully controlling, or at least no a healthy thing people say to an equal.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
I don't think we have enough information to give good advice.

Reactions: Ms. Hawaii

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
we were drinking at the beach and then we all had too much to drink. id become an angry person towards anything and pick a fight. always stupid fights but still we'd fight. Last time it turned into a show between me and a friend
Alcohol affects people differently. Some are happy drunks. Some are nasty drunks. Sounds like you fall in the second category. All I can assume from what you've posted is you made an ass of yourself in public.

Working on improving yourself as a person is a step in the right direction. Perhaps your bf is doubting how sincere you are in making real changes. But that's just a guess on my part. Could be he just doesn't have it in him to forgive you. I'm a stranger in cyberspace who has very little information on which to base my response.

If you'd like to give us more information, it would help. Keep in mind you're anonymous, so it's not like anyone here is going to track you down. At least, as far as I know ... JMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading between the lines I’d say that you humiliated and embarrassed him in front of your friends and family and because you have “moved on” you feel he should too.
Would this be a fair assumption?
yes its exactly the situation. I keep telling myself to continue to respect him taking time. Its just how much time becomes too much where one should just walk away, if you get me. sometimes I feel like we've moved forward and our relationship now is stronger on a more intimate and personal note so why continue to "punish" when someone is trying to move and grow from something

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Oh no its clear I need help, im in the process of seeking counseling. I struggle with my mental health. however going into the relationship he knew that. everything was laid out. I discovered drinking wasn't doing me any good when I started to go out and drink with him. im now not drinking and any time I do I stop at 1 drink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
before him went out with friends and drinking didn't affect me in a bad way. when me and him started going out is when I discovered drinking wasn't doing me any good. apart of my mistakes was that I kept drinking knowing I shouldn't. I know don't drink and if I do I stop at 1 drink

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
its been 3 months now
3 months is not enough time. Your BF is not "punishing" you, he hi protecting himself from further humiliation and hurt. This situation is very much like an affair. 2 - 5 years. Maybe. Maybe never. But 3 months? Impossible to say whether he will ever feel "comfortabe" enough again.

before him went out with friends and drinking didn't affect me in a bad way.
Alcohol takes away inhibitions. The key to your sitch is that this is telling you how you REALLY WANT to behave, but don't, until you get enough to drink.

I had a SO in younger life who wouldn't have sex with me unless she was "drunk enough", but not "too drunk". What this told me is that she basically did not want to have sex with me.

Thank God, I didn't marry her. I think you may need to do the same.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Could you tell us how old you and your bf are?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Thanks for letting me know! Okay, here's my take on the situation. There's a bit of an age gap here. Yes, it's only eight years, but I can tell you that the person I was at 22 and the person I was at 30 were vastly different. When I was 22, my social life was wilder. By that, I mean I'd go to parties with friends where people were getting pretty trashed. Lots of pot smoking going on too. When I was 30? At that point, I was married and hosting dinner parties in my home. Sure, we still drank, but in moderation. No pot smoking at all (my husband was an Army officer).

I did some pretty wild and crazy crap when I was younger. I learned as a grew up. You could be a mature 22 year old. OTOH your bf could be an immature 30 year old. Regardless, it boils down to simply how long you've lived. Longer life = more life experience. Hopefully, people learn from their experience.

I just don't think this is one of those till-death-do-we-part relationships. JMO.

Reactions: Rowan and xodsxo
1 - 20 of 30 Posts