Talk About Marriage banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Super Moderator
I was going to ask what language they're singing in; but, it wouldn't matter because I can't hear them over those bloody cymbals! Leave it to the Brits to go all pomp and circumstance.:D
It's Welsh.

Premium Member
Khan wasn't any worse than other conquerors like Alexander the Great. He didn't believe in slaughtering those he conquered - he believed in incorporating them into his empire. What good is land without people? Hence, why so many Afghans have the surname Khan.

Still not a fan of the throat singing:p (loved the instrumentation). Maybe that can be combined with the dances of the Uchinanchu.
Not many people know what throat singing even is! Glad you know of it actually!

Our culture is quite unknown and alien to most, and myself growing up down under I've become a Mongstralian lol but there's quite a few of us down under now :)
Hence I'm very proud of the Hu and what they have accomplished bringing our culture up internationally!

Registered
So, when I saw this thread, there were a couple thoughts I had:

The first is that I do not really have any culture, and there is something about that, that makes me sad.

The second, is that I do not really have any culture, and there is something about that, that is freeing.

I am from a southern American family, I grew up in multiple states, and multiple countries. None of which, and no place would I actually call my home. There is no people group, or identity that I would claim as my own. I was raised around people from America, England, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Turkey, Egypt, and I am sure other places. I have no cultural or familial identity. Is that a bad thing? Is that a good thing?

Of all places, I spent the most time in Texas, but there is nothing Texan (other than a liking for enchiladas) that is Texan about me.

Registered
There is a common assertion that there is no culture in north america. But that is simply dismissal of persons different than you. Having said that, I'm still not open to discussing my culture.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #54
My DNA test shows some of my ancestors having come from Yorkshire England, but of course be a 鈥減oi dog鈥 our way of saying mutt, and growing up in the islands, I know nothing of that side my background. It is not that I do not want to it is more that my father just did not want to talk about his upbringing.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #55
There is a common assertion that there is no culture in north america. But that is simply dismissal of persons different than you. Having said that, I'm still not open to discussing my culture.
Exactly, that is why is still want to hear of traditions you celebrated in your family growing up, that is your culture.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #56
@Mr. Nail

I am assuming you are white and you think somehow that means you don鈥檛 have a culture. Well, that is BS. Anyway who ever has told you don鈥檛 have a culture or that you should be ashamed of your culture, is also full of BS.

Registered

My family is from Arkansas.
I know Billy Redden who played "Banjo Boy". He still lives in Clayton Georgia and was in a couple of more movies, one was Big Fish by Tim Burton. He ain't no Brad Pitt but he's not as bad as they made him look in Deliverance. BTW, he doesn't play banjo. (Dueling Banjos is picked using three finger "Scruggs style". The movie mimicked more of a "Clawhammer style) I know most of you are really interested in that, so I just had to say it.

Registered
I know Billy Redden who played "Banjo Boy". He still lives in Clayton Georgia and was in a couple of more movies, one was Big Fish by Tim Burton. He ain't no Brad Pitt but he's not as bad as they made him look in Deliverance. BTW, he doesn't play banjo. (Dueling Banjos is picked using three finger "Scruggs style". The movie mimicked more of a "Clawhammer style) I know most of you are really interested in that, so I just had to say it.
Whadya know. One thing I find funny is it's dubbed 'Dueling Banjos' when it's one banjo and a guitar. But, I'm picky like that. (see what I did there?)馃榿

Registered
So, when I saw this thread, there were a couple thoughts I had:

The first is that I do not really have any culture, and there is something about that, that makes me sad.

The second, is that I do not really have any culture, and there is something about that, that is freeing.

I am from a southern American family, I grew up in multiple states, and multiple countries. None of which, and no place would I actually call my home. There is no people group, or identity that I would claim as my own. I was raised around people from America, England, Norway, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Turkey, Egypt, and I am sure other places. I have no cultural or familial identity. Is that a bad thing? Is that a good thing?

Of all places, I spent the most time in Texas, but there is nothing Texan (other than a liking for enchiladas) that is Texan about me.
I'm an individual who is sub consciously influenced by one culture a lot, and by many a little. That is unavoidable, so hard to call it good or bad.

But I consciously made a lot of choices for and against, and to do otherwise is IMO a waste of a life.

I like a bumper sticker that says something like "Don't Just Find Yourself, Invent Yourself."

Registered
As someone who was born and raised in another country I've seen a lot of different cultures in the States.

I don't know about the west, but I've lived in the Midwest and the south east.

Culturally, the Midwest is more conservative. People are more respectful of your privacy and boundaries. Friends are loyal in the Midwest.

People in the south are loud and in your business. People are very friendly but you can't trust all of them.

I remember moving from IN to TX. My first night in Texas, I went to the grocery store. At the register, I was standing behind a lady and she started talking to the guy behind me. I didn't know what to do. I felt awkward because that would have never happened in IN or MN where people are not interested in talking to strangers at the grocery store. Actually, people in the Midwest barely talk to each other at home!

When it comes to clothing, stores sell different types of clothing depending on the area where you live. In the Midwest you find more conservative clothing than in the East.

I love traditional american food. You guys have a lot of good food!!! I think American cuisine is so underrated!! And unappreciated in the country.
I love southern fried chicken! BBQ sauce is very American. You can't find a good bbq sauce outside the US. I love a good Memphis or St. Louis pulled BBQ pork with ribs!

There are other foods I enjoy, I like a good clam chowder or a good gumbo! I really like american food.

Where I live is a beach town. My fil is 68 and he's still surfing. Enjoying the ocean it's part of who he is. That's part of his culture and now he's sharing this culture with his grandchildren. I love it!

Camping is another thing you guys love! I never went camping growing up. Now I go camping with my family and friends. There's an unspoken language that everyone shares at a campground. We help each other, we wave at each other, we share food, drinks. It's a different environment where people from all over are together in one place, enjoying time away from home surrounded by nature and excitement, making new friends and new memories.

I think it's hard to recognize your own culture unless you live in other places. The US is so big, it's hard to find something culturally shared by everyone in the country. The only thing that comes to mind is country music. That's so American unique. You don't find country music outside the US.

I miss my home country but I have learned to love America. I have fond memories of every place I've been to. I think this country has a lot of traditions and culture to enjoy and share.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts