Talk About Marriage banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If I was a mod I'd ban you just to stir things up.
There's probably a reason somewhere if I look for it.
Now if you do get banned, we'll never really know if it was autoban or if it wasn't. So I guess this experiment is flawed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Office supplies Automotive tire Writing implement Gas Bicycle part

Speaking of questions for mods, I posted this yesterday and it was deleted.. the message I received was "Reason: threadjack".

I was merely pointing out that a threadjack was occuring.

Also, I guess this is now a threadjack.

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
I never knew that word is taboo here. I've learned something new on the internet today! 😄
It's not just using the word "troll" that is against forum rules. Implying or outright stating that another poster is fake, or a troll is not allowed.

What we ask is that if you think a poster might be a troll, report the post/thread and the moderators will investigate.

Calling and/or implying that a poster is a troll can drive a legitimate poster with an unusal story off the site. Further, when one poster starts calling an OP of being a troll, the thread tends to degenerate into a troll-calling thread jack. That drives other new posters off the site as well.

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
On a forum I moderated a long time ago, the "t" word was also flagged, but the stated purpose was to alert mods to possible "t" behavior so they would go investigate.

On this forum, it's system autoban for someone saying the "t" word, but the "t" behavior that prompted the user to say it isn't banned, from what I have seen in O' these many years. I mean, really, which is worse, saying it or doing it? I know the rules cover that behavior one way or the other. I realize a poster should report rather than say the "t" word, but I just don't see how saying it is the bigger offence than at times what prompted it, which is often by new users being bullied.

What's the practice?
There is no auto ban on TAM for someone using the "troll" word. Instead, what happens is that a moderator can ding a user with some number of "infraction points" for breaking forum rules. When the points reach some number, I think it's 15, that member gets an auto-ban for a few days.

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. She wasn't calling a poster a T as in the were fabricating a story, she called them that, because she felt the were t'ing her. Which I think they kind of were. She certainly didn't use it in a way that I thought violated the rules.

BTW, my only ban was for calling someone out as a T and turned out a day later that they really were and were permabanned. :rolleyes: The system isn't perfect
If you think a poster is a troll, report the post. Don't call them out on the open forum.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you think a poster is a troll, report the post. Don't call them out on the open forum.
She was really just saying she was being bullied. And she was. She wasn't saying other people were fake. Guess there's two meanings, one for being fake and one used for saying someone is trolling you, meaning they are just harassing you. Anyway, hope she comes back, but what are the chances. Of course, I have no idea if she reported any of it or not. Sounds like that was her mistake, not hitting the report button.

Thanks, all.

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
I think I know who you’re talking about and I thought she was being bullied, to be honest. She was then banned but I didn’t know that about the auto-ban rule over that word.
I just reviewed this. She was not auto banned based on any word. The system does not automatically ban anyone based on any word. It does not work that way. She was banned because she had earned several dings (points) for breaking rules. and when those points add up to 15 the system gives about a 1 week ban.

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
She was really just saying she was being bullied. And she was. She wasn't saying other people were fake. Guess there's two meanings, one for being fake and one used for saying someone is trolling you, meaning they are just harassing you. Anyway, hope she comes back, but what are the chances. Of course, I have no idea if she reported any of it or not. Sounds like that was her mistake, not hitting the report button.

Thanks, all.
I was not involved in the ban, only just looked at whatever info is available. You might not have seen all the posts that were deleted.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It's not just using the word "troll" that is against forum rules. Implying or outright stating that another poster is fake, or a troll is not allowed.

What we ask is that if you think a poster might be a troll, report the post/thread and the moderators will investigate.

Calling and/or implying that a poster is a troll can drive a legitimate poster with an unusal story off the site. Further, when one poster starts calling an OP of being a troll, the thread tends to degenerate into a troll-calling thread jack. That drives other new posters off the site as well.
Okay, I see. That makes more sense. Thank you!

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
If there truly is an autoban script it probably runs once or twice a day. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
The way auto ban works is that a moderator can assign points based on an infraction. Most small infractions are 1 point. When a person gets 15 points the system gives them an auto ban for a week. They system will give the ban as soon as the 15-point mark is reached.

More egregious infractions can be assigned more points.

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
So it isn’t really an “autoban,” it’s controlled by the moderators, correct?

An autoban soundsvery arbitrary, like if we were talking about fairy tales or dolls with crazy hair we could accidentally trigger it. If it’s mods assigning points to trigger bans then those things wouldn’t happen.

·
Premium Member
3,999 Posts
The way auto ban works is that a moderator can assign points based on an infraction. Most small infractions are 1 point. When a person gets 15 points the system gives them an auto ban for a week. They system will give the ban as soon as the 15-point mark is reached.

More egregious infractions can be assigned more points.
So that means she wasn't banned for simply using the world troll. She didn't call anyone out as being a troll in the sense that they were making stuff up, so she was banned due to too many point, correct?

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
So it isn’t really an “autoban,” it’s controlled by the moderators, correct?
Only in that moderators assign points. When I give someone a ding, I don't go check how many prior points they have. The points accumulate. The points do expire over time.

Here's a sample of how the points are assigned....
Inappropriate Content 1 point expires in 30 days​
Off topic (thread jack) 4 points, expire in 1 year​
Personal Information Exploit 15 points, expire in 1 year​
Repeat Offense 84 points, expire in 1 year​

Here's the auto ban times
5 point 3 = 1 day ban​
10 points - 3 day ban​
15 points = 7 day ban​
30 points = 14 day ban​
100 points = permanent ban​

·
Administrator
48,458 Posts
So that means she wasn't banned for simply using the world troll. She didn't call anyone out as being a troll in the sense that they were making stuff up, so she was banned due to too many point, correct?
yep

21 - 40 of 80 Posts