Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Administrator
I never knew that word is taboo here. I've learned something new on the internet today! 馃槃
It's not just using the word "troll" that is against forum rules. Implying or outright stating that another poster is fake, or a troll is not allowed.

What we ask is that if you think a poster might be a troll, report the post/thread and the moderators will investigate.

Calling and/or implying that a poster is a troll can drive a legitimate poster with an unusal story off the site. Further, when one poster starts calling an OP of being a troll, the thread tends to degenerate into a troll-calling thread jack. That drives other new posters off the site as well.

Administrator
On a forum I moderated a long time ago, the "t" word was also flagged, but the stated purpose was to alert mods to possible "t" behavior so they would go investigate.

On this forum, it's system autoban for someone saying the "t" word, but the "t" behavior that prompted the user to say it isn't banned, from what I have seen in O' these many years. I mean, really, which is worse, saying it or doing it? I know the rules cover that behavior one way or the other. I realize a poster should report rather than say the "t" word, but I just don't see how saying it is the bigger offence than at times what prompted it, which is often by new users being bullied.

What's the practice?
There is no auto ban on TAM for someone using the "troll" word. Instead, what happens is that a moderator can ding a user with some number of "infraction points" for breaking forum rules. When the points reach some number, I think it's 15, that member gets an auto-ban for a few days.

Administrator
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. She wasn't calling a poster a T as in the were fabricating a story, she called them that, because she felt the were t'ing her. Which I think they kind of were. She certainly didn't use it in a way that I thought violated the rules.

BTW, my only ban was for calling someone out as a T and turned out a day later that they really were and were permabanned. :rolleyes: The system isn't perfect
If you think a poster is a troll, report the post. Don't call them out on the open forum.

Administrator
I think I know who you鈥檙e talking about and I thought she was being bullied, to be honest. She was then banned but I didn鈥檛 know that about the auto-ban rule over that word.
I just reviewed this. She was not auto banned based on any word. The system does not automatically ban anyone based on any word. It does not work that way. She was banned because she had earned several dings (points) for breaking rules. and when those points add up to 15 the system gives about a 1 week ban.

Administrator
She was really just saying she was being bullied. And she was. She wasn't saying other people were fake. Guess there's two meanings, one for being fake and one used for saying someone is trolling you, meaning they are just harassing you. Anyway, hope she comes back, but what are the chances. Of course, I have no idea if she reported any of it or not. Sounds like that was her mistake, not hitting the report button.

Thanks, all.
I was not involved in the ban, only just looked at whatever info is available. You might not have seen all the posts that were deleted.

Administrator
If there truly is an autoban script it probably runs once or twice a day. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.
The way auto ban works is that a moderator can assign points based on an infraction. Most small infractions are 1 point. When a person gets 15 points the system gives them an auto ban for a week. They system will give the ban as soon as the 15-point mark is reached.

More egregious infractions can be assigned more points.

Administrator
So it isn鈥檛 really an 鈥渁utoban,鈥 it鈥檚 controlled by the moderators, correct?
Only in that moderators assign points. When I give someone a ding, I don't go check how many prior points they have. The points accumulate. The points do expire over time.

Here's a sample of how the points are assigned....
Inappropriate Content 1 point expires in 30 days​
Off topic (thread jack) 4 points, expire in 1 year​
Personal Information Exploit 15 points, expire in 1 year​
Repeat Offense 84 points, expire in 1 year​

Here's the auto ban times
5 point 3 = 1 day ban​
10 points - 3 day ban​
15 points = 7 day ban​
30 points = 14 day ban​
100 points = permanent ban​

Administrator
So that means she wasn't banned for simply using the world troll. She didn't call anyone out as being a troll in the sense that they were making stuff up, so she was banned due to too many point, correct?
yep

Administrator
View attachment 91312

Speaking of questions for mods, I posted this yesterday and it was deleted.. the message I received was "Reason: threadjack".

I was merely pointing out that a threadjack was occuring.

Also, I guess this is now a threadjack.
I have no idea what thread you posted taht on. That said, I'll bet that that image did not address the OP's issues on the thread, did it?

Administrator
I must go from 0 to 15 all in one thread. I always get a one weeker 鈥..

Anyone wanna talk about Catholics ???
I suggest that you read the rules for the Religion forum.

I didn't see you complain at all a week or so ago when I permanently banned a member who is a Catholic for his attack on others based on religion in that forum.

"The religion section is for people to talk about religion in general terms and also to ask questions of oneself or of other people.
However, the debates and comments must be civil and courteous at all times.
Rudeness, bashing of a particular faith or sect, abuse and intolerance by people of any faith or of no faith will be considered to be in breach of the forum rules and will be dealt with accordingly.
Please also refer to the following general posting guidelines for further information:- https://talkaboutmarriage.com/genera...ead-first.html

Administrator
EleGirl -- when someone gets a point assigned, do they get warned usually?
To be honest I don't know if there is a default warning message sent.

I just gave you a warning with "0 " (zero) points. Did you get any kind of warning? There is an option to send a note to the person that I did not use in sending you this warning.

Administrator
Thanks for the test -- no I got No warning in my "conersations", so I guess if you do NOT send the note, it doesn't.

Thanks for the confirmation though!
I gave you another "0" warning and this time sent you a test message.

Administrator
There's no warning when you get a ding. It's possible there's one if you're on your very last chance or something. Shall we ask those who would know?
Yea, looks like mods need to make sure we send a message. I tried to find a way in the control panel to show the points to a person on their profile (not to other users). Can't find one.

Administrator
Is there a way to tell if you have points or not ? If yes , how ?
I can't see any way for a user to see if they have any points. I tried to find something in the control panel that would let me turn it on. But it's not an option.

You have no points.

Administrator

Administrator
So when I looked at my profile it says 鈥減oints鈥 and I have well over 100. Are those the same kind of points we are discussing here ?
What's being discussed here are "Warning" points. For those who have warning points I see the word "Warnings" followed by a number on their profile. Apparently normal members can't see the "Warnings" list.

The "Points" list is for good things. I think you have earned the top limit on those. Here's what pops up when I clicked on "Points" in your profile. I think you can open this up too by clicking on the word "Points".

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

1 - 20 of 21 Posts