Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a forum I moderated a long time ago, the "t" word was also flagged, but the stated purpose was to alert mods to possible "t" behavior so they would go investigate.

On this forum, it's system autoban for someone saying the "t" word, but the "t" behavior that prompted the user to say it isn't banned, from what I have seen in O' these many years. I mean, really, which is worse, saying it or doing it? I know the rules cover that behavior one way or the other. I realize a poster should report rather than say the "t" word, but I just don't see how saying it is the bigger offence than at times what prompted it, which is often by new users being bullied.

What's the practice?

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I must be naive. Can you please spell out the word, with a convenient asterisk or two, so I know what exactly we are discussing?

It can be edited once I am up to speed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Rhymes with "scroll." 😂

·
Super Moderator
13,645 Posts
I am speaking to my experience moreso than anything I have read as a moderator or heard from admins.

To me, the biggest reason is because occasionally you have stories that are utterly beyond belief that turn out to be true. It may only be 1 out of 100, but it would really suck to run off that one that could really use the help.

I see it as similar to the 1769 doctrine that says, “the law holds that it is better that 10 guilty persons escape, than that 1 innocent suffer.”

·
Super Moderator
13,645 Posts
I've used the word and not been banned.
Before I realized it was a no-no.

My post was deleted, but other than that nothing happened.

FYI.
There are times (as a mod) when I will delete a post or two without issuing a ban, or even a warning. But that will vary from mod to mod. It also depends on whether I am on my phone (Tapatalk) or a computer, as bans are a bit more tricky on the former.

I am personally not a fan of bans, but sometimes we have little choice.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was just a case where we were told a recent new member was system autobanned. That's what triggered me to wonder about it. She was getting a lot of crap and called the ones giving her a hard time the "t" word and then we hear it was a system autoban. It is under the Banned Members thread. But then she's the only one who had consequences. And it was by the "system." So just thought it was confusing. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a search yesterday and turned the word up, but it was mostly on old posts, not the more recent ones.

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
There was just a case where we were told a recent new member was system autobanned. That's what triggered me to wonder about it. She was getting a lot of crap and called the ones giving her a hard time the "t" word and then we hear it was a system autoban. It is under the Banned Members thread. But then she's the only one who had consequences. And it was by the "system." So just thought it was confusing. Thanks.
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. She wasn't calling a poster a T as in the were fabricating a story, she called them that, because she felt the were t'ing her. Which I think they kind of were. She certainly didn't use it in a way that I thought violated the rules.

BTW, my only ban was for calling someone out as a T and turned out a day later that they really were and were permabanned. :rolleyes: The system isn't perfect

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Yeah, that seemed odd to me too. She wasn't calling a poster a T as in the were fabricating a story, she called them that, because she felt the were t'ing her. Which I think they kind of were. She certainly didn't use it in a way that I thought violated the rules.

BTW, my only ban was for calling someone out as a T and turned out a day later that they really were and were permabanned. :rolleyes: The system isn't perfect
I think I know who you’re talking about and I thought she was being bullied, to be honest. She was then banned but I didn’t know that about the auto-ban rule over that word.

·
Premium Member
15,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was an explanation under the Banned Members thread in PrivateMembers Section. I just looked at it again. That was Matt's explanation.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts