Talk About Marriage banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Well, you stated this:

"Now I'm kind of at an impasse as to what to do. We did all the paperwork without a lawyer, and the agreement is pretty good for both parties. I'd hate to pay a lawyer just to force him to finish it, but I like the idea of being protected legally/financially, especially if things go south later."

And I think your train of thought is the smart way to go. Its ALWAYS a good idea to protect yourself. Especially when you are dealing with another person's instability. I know spending money kinda sucks, but it seems to be the smart move here.

·
Registered
19,268 Posts
I guess I am officially in marital limbo. We were going full speed ahead on getting all our paperwork done and filed, but my husband has been sitting on the last couple of forms for over a month. When I ask about them, he usually tells me he's been busy and will get to them. This is a complete 180 from his attitude at the beginning of our separation--he wanted to file ASAP. At some point, we changed the divorce to a legal separation, but the legal separation agreement is convertible to a divorce, and we remain married while it's in effect. Even if he's having doubts, I see no logical reason to not sign these papers.

Coincidentally, I noticed that I sent him these forms the day before his first therapy appointment. Within a day of that appointment, I got the impression that he said something to the therapist about our marriage, but my initial evidence was weak and boiled down to out of character text messages my husband was sending. (He wanted to know about my emotional well-being, and how I was coping with the separation.) It wasn't until weeks after therapy that I noticed he also stopped pushing for us to get anything filed.

Now I'm kind of at an impasse as to what to do. We did all the paperwork without a lawyer, and the agreement is pretty good for both parties. I'd hate to pay a lawyer just to force him to finish it, but I like the idea of being protected legally/financially, especially if things go south later.

As far as our relationship goes, things are still very platonic, but I sense longing from him. I've been doing good by not reacting to him and working on myself. I want to be patient with the situation and see where it goes, but I'm just not sure what I should do about the legal stuff.
Sounds like he got dumped.

Perfect time for you to move ahead assertively.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts