Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling comic books online and sales seem to be stepping up.
In any case, I uploaded a title a couple of weeks ago. Deemed it "Used, like new" and priced it at $19.00.

Someone asked to buy it. My husband said he didn't believe the condition was that great and would down grade it by one. Should I change the price?
I looked at what else was on offer saw that there was a "Used acceptable", the lowest grade going for $28 and used like new going for $72.

I wrote the would be buyer about the discrepancy, apologizing for my mistake as I'm playing a numbers game, so I try to do everything fast. He said he would take it but was a bit snippy about my not lowering the price. I didn't mention it to him, but surely he must see the opportunity I would be giving up selling it to him for the original price I quoted.

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I'd probably feel bad and lower the price, but that's just me and I don't sell anything so what do I know.

How important are reviews to you? A buyer who feels wronged will quite possibly leave a review, and not a pleasant one.

Did you send the buyer pictures of the "wear and tear" so they can see for themselves?

·
Premium Member
6,453 Posts
I was an antiquarian book seller for a while, and it was very important to me to be as clear as possible with my descriptions - through words and photos.

And...it really pissed me off that when I would buy from other sellers, (who were just selling old stuff as opposed to fine books), their descriptions were rarely accurate. And I would write to them and complain, and often I was given a full refund.

I don't know how long you plan on doing this, but, in my opinion, your reputation is more important than being paid a few more dollars.

If it were me, I'd lower the price and mail it for free.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
i have tons of comics that I sold in the past, do you take a picture (front, back and inside the first page) and show the buyer...specific the bind and corners? Also do you use the comic trade guide?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't know much about comics but I have been a part-time eBay seller for years. Like others have said, undersell and overdeliver. I always try to be humble when it comes to rating the condition of an item but I will also take many detailed pictures so people can clearly see what they are getting. Because of the huge price discrepancy due to condition, many sellers overestimate the condition of the products they are selling so they can get much more money. Sadly, this does work in their favor.

One tip that helps me is if I see 3 other people selling the same item I am, in a similar condition, I will note how they graded their items. If my condition is similar to theirs, I will use the same grading they used (good, VG, acceptable) and price slightly lower than they did.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm selling comic books online and sales seem to be stepping up.
In any case, I uploaded a title a couple of weeks ago. Deemed it "Used, like new" and priced it at $19.00.

Someone asked to buy it. My husband said he didn't believe the condition was that great and would down grade it by one. Should I change the price?
I looked at what else was on offer saw that there was a "Used acceptable", the lowest grade going for $28 and used like new going for $72.

I wrote the would be buyer about the discrepancy, apologizing for my mistake as I'm playing a numbers game, so I try to do everything fast. He said he would take it but was a bit snippy about my not lowering the price. I didn't mention it to him, but surely he must see the opportunity I would be giving up selling it to him for the original price I quoted.

What would you do?
Charge what you want to charge. The buyer can either buy or move on. I would charge what you posted the item for.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
So you now have a disgruntled customer that will probably never buy from you again. For a reduction of a few dollars you could have had a happy customer who potentially could spend thousands of dollars buying from your business. Now you have a negative review when you could have had a five star review.

Marketing 101.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
My daughter (grown, married, grown kids) thought she was really getting something wonderful when she bought 4,000 (yes, four thousand) comic books from somebody. They are sitting upstairs in my house, waiting for whatever wonderful thing she was planning for them. She thought her kids would enjoy them, kids are less than interested. I may take them to a guy who works for me and sells on eBay sometimes. Is that a reasonable place to sell them?

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I chose Amazon because uploading is much easier there, that is, if a page already exists for the exact edition you are selling. you pay Amazon nothing until it's sold.

I find ebay onerous. You have to create your own page. I'm selling few things on ebay now but not comic books. They're always coming back asking for me detail. it drives me crazy. It is possible not to have upfront costs incurred even when it doesn't sell. but they do try to upsell you on those.

You should give it a try. You don't know what gems you might have. I've sold a few for more than $50, but if I may brag just a little, I just sold one for $655. I'm hoping to catch the nerds this week when they have time off and nothing to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts