Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband works as a casual, with that, his hours are very variable. Great pay, but then at the end of the day, for me, there is not stability in your hours being a casual. His hours got cut the other day as one of his clients decided to go another way. He told me that there will be other clients out there and he'd be able to make up for his hours. I feel very uncomfortable with him being very comfortable with this kind of set up.

For so long now, I have been trying to convince him to take courses that would interest him. He took one course before but didn't end up finishing it as he thought it wasn't going to be of help to him, or he lost interest in the middle of the course. Now that he's doing another one which we thought initially would more enticing to him being that it's a field that he could enjoy doing. Now, he's asking if he can change courses AGAIN because it's very hard for him to study, that when he comes home he's already tired, that it is not interesting for him after all. Before he took this course, he promised me that he will keep trying. We got into an argument last night and he apologised and he will force himself to finish the course. I appreciate that. But then there's this fear of constant cycle of this. It just seems to me like he is making excuses all the time. It feels like he has all these wonderful ideas in his head but he is lacking execution. I feel like he hasn't even exerted/maximised his efforts to all of what he says he wants to do. I am getting really frustrated and angry, and impatient and really over it to be honest... Am I being selfish to say that I also want for him to be the best version of himself, for him to keep trying, or am I expecting too much of him...

I know he is not a bad husband, and I know he wants the best for us... But, when would he start to realise that if he does, he has to start doing something about it...... :(

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
You are not contracted set hours. You're basically on call.
Most people who are on call get paid a stipend for every hour they're on call so they're not just tied up for nothing. So is he being paid a stipend even when they don't use him on the hours he's agreed to be available?

I love on-call jobs that are not very busy as long as they pay you the stipend because then you can get some work to do at home and be doing that while you're also collecting your stipend. that's basically one of the things I've done over the last 20 years to make things work out.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Sounds to me like he isn't interested in taking courses. At least, not at this time. And, from what you've written thus far, it sounds like you want him to show an interest. I'd suggest you stop "encouraging" him and leave it up to him as to what he will - or will not - do.

Do you work?

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Most people who are on call get paid a stipend for every hour they're on call so they're not just tied up for nothing. So is he being paid a stipend even when they don't use him on the hours he's agreed to be available?

I love on-call jobs that are not very busy as long as they pay you the stipend because then you can get some work to do at home and be doing that while you're also collecting your stipend. that's basically one of the things I've done over the last 20 years to make things work out.
You haven't heard of zero hour contracts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You get paid by the hours that you have worked. He is a support/social worker. He has set clients, but then his hours with these clients are not set and that's what makes it difficult, because you commit yourself to days for these clients, but if they cancel work, then you don't get anything, at all... It has been pretty stable with his exisiting clients, but because the nature of the contract is you are not guaranteed hours, it is, for me anyway, unstable as opposed to having guaranteed/contracted hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds to me like he isn't interested in taking courses. At least, not at this time. And, from what you've written thus far, it sounds like you want him to show an interest. I'd suggest you stop "encouraging" him and leave it up to him as to what he will - or will not - do.

Do you work?
Thank you for that... And yes, I have thought about that, too... What stirs me up however is the fact that a lot of times he would say he wants to be this and that but cannot find his execution most times.

I do work full time.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
He is comfortable with a zero hour contract. You are not. Does the pay he earns when he is in contract balance out for the times that he's not? Also, permanent employment is no guarantee either. Is his current work approach a new thing?

With the course he's taking that he wanted to switch from, is it going to be beneficial to what he's doing (or wants to be doing)? I think time and relevancy is important. So if he is realizing it isn't a good fit, then my view is that if it's not going to be of benefit, better to call it sooner rather than later and switch paths. Is it more the case that he's not clear on which direction he is taking? If that is the case, then any direction can be of use rather than treading water. With these good ideas he has, I'm with @Prodigal as to leaving it to him to navigate. He doesn't seem concerned about getting his next piece of work - are you confident that he has a good read on the field that he is in?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
What stirs me up however is the fact that a lot of times he would say he wants to be this and that but cannot find his execution most times.
Yes, I understand your frustration. It sounds like he gets enthused about pursuing something, then loses interest. Why do you think that is? Maybe he just hasn't found his niche yet. Hopefully, he will.

Reactions: heartsbeating

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
You get paid by the hours that you have worked. He is a support/social worker. He has set clients, but then his hours with these clients are not set and that's what makes it difficult, because you commit yourself to days for these clients, but if they cancel work, then you don't get anything, at all... It has been pretty stable with his exisiting clients, but because the nature of the contract is you are not guaranteed hours, it is, for me anyway, unstable as opposed to having guaranteed/contracted hours.
Okay, so this is a day-to-day type of scenario compared to some other types of 'contracted' work.

Is this field or employment type new to him?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so this is a day-to-day type of scenario compared to some other types of 'contracted' work.

Is this field or employment type new to him?
He has been in the job for about 14 months or so now. Well he has set clients at the moment, he has been seeing the same clients since he has started, that also means that they talk about which days he would work for them and how many hours they need each day. This now changes if and when any of his clients cancels the shift for the day or cancels him out completely. There is no security to is in a way that it is no work, no pay day. He can easily get replaced or his hours can get cut easily because he has no contract to say that, "hey, this is my contracted hours and you need to give me that."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I understand your frustration. It sounds like he gets enthused about pursuing something, then loses interest. Why do you think that is? Maybe he just hasn't found his niche yet. Hopefully, he will.
I just feel sometimes like he doesn't have that motivation to follow through... I'm honestly not sure... And I really hope he does.. Thank you..

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
I don't think it's selfish of you, by the way. Reflecting on this, Batman and I turn to one another as support, nut through things together, and make mutual decisions that affect our combined income, in terms of the journeys we plan to take. Often when I post here, I relate to my own experiences, and the small snippet I can offer that may be somewhat relatable is when I wanted to change industries a few years ago. As I took a dip in salary to do this, stepping away from corporate and started initial study while working, my husband and I planned on an agreed time-frame in which I was to earn a certain salary again. I felt supported by him, and also knew of the agreed expectation between us. This meant I needed to fast-track my journey, with some fortune (and/or hustle) on my side. His encouragement helped me gain bigger balls to get there and not drag my feet in the process; some side steps were made, while keeping to my values. Within a relatively short time, demonstrating a strong work ethic, and taking up opportunities, I was in a leadership role. And then took on more in-depth study to further progress. My point is, we had a mutual agreement and understanding between us before I started down another path. I'm contradicting what I wrote earlier, but is there a way you can both come up with a plan / agreement?

Reactions: CuriousMind_19

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Well, I would agree. I've never heard of an on-call job where you weren't paid at all for agreeing to sit by the phone wasting your time. Sounds to me like he needs a second gig that is flexible if he wants to keep this one. Something he can do from home on his own schedule. Either that or he needs a full-time job and blow this one off. I'm sure that's what you prefer, but he doesn't sound overly ambitious. How are you paying the bills?

If there's not a huge money deficit, maybe he just needs to pick up a weekend or afterhours service low-paying job like delivery, or maybe Lyft or Uber, which of course takes an investment in a good car and upkeep. Delivery jobs are everywhere right now. Or he could do something like server for tips just in his off hours. I mean, the problem here isn't that he doesn't have options. It's that he can't seem to stick with things and isn't very ambitious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He is comfortable with a zero hour contract. You are not. Does the pay he earns when he is in contract balance out for the times that he's not? Also, permanent employment is no guarantee either. Is his current work approach a new thing?

With the course he's taking that he wanted to switch from, is it going to be beneficial to what he's doing (or wants to be doing)? I think time and relevancy is important. So if he is realizing it isn't a good fit, then my view is that if it's not going to be of benefit, better to call it sooner rather than later and switch paths. Is it more the case that he's not clear on which direction he is taking? If that is the case, then any direction can be of use rather than treading water. With these good ideas he has, I'm with @Prodigal as to leaving it to him to navigate. He doesn't seem concerned about getting his next piece of work - are you confident that he has a good read on the field that he is in?
I think he is a great support worker, he cares for his clients - these are mentally disabled clients by the way, to be more specific. It is a tough job, especially because his interest is in the IT field and then suddenly becoming a support worker. It is a huge turnaround, especially for him. I appreciate that of him as well. But then, like I said, he has all these great thoughts and ambitions that have not pushed through for whatever reasons he make. He did say that he is still in the middle of trying to find his passion and niche, and maybe I should accept that. Maybe he will get there in his own time, I just feel like it's taking a bit of time. And now I feel like I'm contradicting myself as well.. I suppose it's what I want vs. what he wants. But when you start to put something in my head, I expect you follow through with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think it's selfish of you, by the way. Reflecting on this, Batman and I turn to one another as support, nut through things together, and make mutual decisions that affect our combined income, in terms of the journeys we plan to take. Often when I post here, I relate to my own experiences, and the small snippet I can offer that may be somewhat relatable is when I wanted to change industries a few years ago. As I took a dip in salary to do this, stepping away from corporate and started initial study while working, my husband and I planned on an agreed time-frame in which I was to earn a certain salary again. I felt supported by him, and also knew of the agreed expectation between us. This meant I needed to fast-track my journey, with some fortune (and/or hustle) on my side. His encouragement helped me gain bigger balls to get there and not drag my feet in the process; some side steps were made, while keeping to my values. Within a relatively short time, demonstrating a strong work ethic, and taking up opportunities, I was in a leadership role. And then took on more in-depth study to further progress. My point is, we had a mutual agreement and understanding between us before I started down another path. I'm contradicting what I wrote earlier, but is there a way you can both come up with a plan / agreement?
Thank you for that.. Yes, we talk about everything. We try and map out our plans. And he is very supportive of me in whatever I do, as I have been supportive to him - but my support has now turned into somewhat pushy.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
I think he is a great support worker, he cares for his clients - these are mentally disabled clients by the way, to be more specific. It is a tough job, especially because his interest is in the IT field and then suddenly becoming a support worker. It is a huge turnaround, especially for him. I appreciate that of him as well. But then, like I said, he has all these great thoughts and ambitions that have not pushed through for whatever reasons he make. He did say that he is still in the middle of trying to find his passion and niche, and maybe I should accept that. Maybe he will get there in his own time, I just feel like it's taking a bit of time. And now I feel like I'm contradicting myself as well.. I suppose it's what I want vs. what he wants. But when you start to put something in my head, I expect you follow through with it.
When Batman and I have both looked at different paths we are taking, we take into account the math of it. Ugh, math! haha... basically, we consider what we need to support where and how we want to live and to fund our lifestyle and based on the realities of opportunities. So with that, there's typically a time-frame that is considered along with what our priorities are as individuals and as a couple. Does he want to remain in this current field or go to something else completely different? And how does that factor into being a livable salary for your combined needs? Probably what I'm asking is, is this about what he earns or what else you feel he could achieve in terms of what he has to offer, or both?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I would agree. I've never heard of an on-call job where you weren't paid at all for agreeing to sit by the phone wasting your time. Sounds to me like he needs a second gig that is flexible if he wants to keep this one. Something he can do from home on his own schedule. Either that or he needs a full-time job and blow this one off. I'm sure that's what you prefer, but he doesn't sound overly ambitious. How are you paying the bills?

If there's not a huge money deficit, maybe he just needs to pick up a weekend or afterhours service low-paying job like delivery, or maybe Lyft or Uber, which of course takes an investment in a good car and upkeep. Delivery jobs are everywhere right now. Or he could do something like server for tips just in his off hours. I mean, the problem here isn't that he doesn't have options. It's that he can't seem to stick with things and isn't very ambitious.
We're actually not doing too bad with our finances, we have more than enough. Between the both of us, we are doing really great. But it's not even about the finances anymore, it's more of making things happen if that makes sense. I actually do not even need him to be in a full time job, because we both want work-life balance. It's not that he is not overly ambitious, he actually is very ambitious, the problem is not doing anything about it..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts