Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........Happens all the time.
You all know exactly what I'm talking about!

Things that make the hairs on back of your neck raise. Stuff that make you shudder ,whenever you remember it.
I have quite a few.
One of the most frightening experiences I've ever had, happened to me on a hunting trip with some friends.

We were climbing up a ledge deep in the forest, they were behind me, when I literally came face to face with a
" fur de lance , " on top of the ledge .

Its an extremely vicious, ugly and deadly species of pit vipers. We call it " the bushmaster " down here, because unlike other snakes, it will attack you even if you try to escape and its venom works fast.

When I came face to face with it, I let out a loud scream, adrenaline kicked in and I threw myself off the ledge,down into the bushes below. Thankfully i was not bitten,and sustained minimal damages.
Whenever I remember this incident,I thank my lucky stars.
I've know others who have died from a " bushmaster's " venom.
Up to this day, I hate snakes.

What are some of the most " scary stuff" that ever happened to you?

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
Went on a short vacation in 2010 with my ex-wife. We each had a motorcycle and decided it would be fun to take them. I usually led, but sometimes got tired of looking in the mirror to see where she was; if she was okay, etc. At those times, I would lead the way to our destination and ask her if she would lead some on the way home. I could see her and wasn't as concerned with her safety. She was a good rider. I was in love and maybe overly concerned about her.

I don't remember why, but we pulled over to the side of the road for something. I asked if she would lead for a while. She said, "okay." We got back on our motorcycles. She looks then pulls out. I look, then pull out behind her.

I was following her on a major highway and there was a modorate amount of traffic. If we kept our speed with traffic, it was less intimidating riding because tractor trailers passed less. The wind stirred by them is horrendous, even on a heavier motorcycle. We both knew this.

We were travelling along at highway speed. She decides to pull over, but does it in an awkward place; right after an exit ramp. There is little roadside length to stop because of an on-ramp just beyond the exit and so, she stops quickly, leaving little space behind her.

I could not stop in the amount of space she left without running in to her. I quickly looked for a safe path of travel. I was taught to scan, identify(a possible problem), predict(what might happen and how I would handle it), decide(what action I needed to take), then execute while riding.

I look in my mirror and see a tractor trailer coming quickly from behind. I rolled on the throttle to get distance between us. I look for a clear path of travel and find the only way to avoid being hit or crashing into my ex-wife was to take the exit ramp to the right.

I had little time to decide this and take action. The exit ramp was a tighter turn than I expected and there was a bank of grass covered dirt which rose up on the outside radius of the turn. I thought, "I'm not going to make this turn."

I hit the brakes hard. Squeezing ever harder on the front brake while simultaneously grabbing the clutch , I down shifted as fast as I could. I slammed on the rear brake which locked up the tire and started me into a slide while leaning to my right side.

As I slid closer to the outside edge of the exit which turned sharply to the right, I noticed gravel on the roadside. Riding on gravel is similar to trying to walk on marbles. I was in serious trouble.

At this point in my turn, I was leaning hard to the right. My arse was sucking naugahide and my palms were sweating. My heart was racing and my brain was working in hyper-speed. The few seconds this lasted seemed like ten minutes.

I squeezed harder on the front brake and let off of the rear. This started to force my motorcycle to come up out of the lean. I let go of the front brake and quickly rolled on the throttle while letting out the clutch in a lower gear. The rear tire found traction and the motorcycle pulled out of the slide and into the turn to safety.

I stopped on the side of the exit ramp, close to the top, where it straightened out at a stop sign. I shut off the motorcycle and sat there on it thanking God for getting me through to safety.

After a couple of minutes of praying and contemplation of my life, my ex-wife showed up and asked, "Why are you going this way?" I told her, "I didn't want to, but I had to." I started the motorcycle and turned around and went back down to the main highway. I emerged ahead of where she was parked on the side of the main highway and pulled over to wait for her.

She pulled up beside me and asked, "Where were you going?" I was angry and shoouted, "Didn't you see that tractor trailer barrelling down on us?" She said, " I saw it coming. Didn't you?" "I had no room to stop behind you", I returned. "I'm going to lead from now on. Don't fall too far behind", I stated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This wasn't scary on a physically threatening level but I was still a kid at the time and it made my hairs stand on end.

The scene in Eyes Wide Shut when Nicole and Tom are smoking weed and she tells him about her experience with the Naval Officer.

"If you men only knew" Well, I do know and I still haven't gotten married. LOL

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Being in an emergency room having anaphylaxis and being told it was all in my head. Going home and watching my feet and hands turn blue and intermittently not being able to breath very well and being extremely dizzy and unable to stand up, and wondering if I called for an ambulance if they would take their time because of the ER staff telling them it wasn't a 'real' emergency, and therefore I would die.

Next medical emergency I will make sure to have plenty of blood and gore, to help out the ER staff with figuring out what is real.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being in an emergency room having anaphylaxis and being told it was all in my head. Going home and watching my feet and hands turn blue and intermittently not being able to breath very well and being extremely dizzy and unable to stand up, and wondering if I called for an ambulance if they would take their time because of the ER staff telling them it wasn't a 'real' emergency, and therefore I would die.

Next medical emergency I will make sure to have plenty of blood and gore, to help out the ER staff with figuring out what is real.
Shyt!
Wow!

Sounds like an excerpt from one of those psycho movies.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Seen an ex police man stabbed and beaten to death, then set on fire and then left to rot. With other people, we tried to bury him but it only made us almost clash with the people who killed him.

It was the most atrocious thing I've ever witnessed. What's worse is that the angry mob was mostly children from the neighbourhood (SOME OF THEM ACCOMPANIED BY THEIR MOTHERS).

Winter of 2011 was similar to the inquisition in Tunisia. Arab spring my a**.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was 14 seen bodies on the 40 highway in montreal from a 5 car pile up near henri bourassa under the over pass. Sheets covering some of the bodies.

My parents never eat desert or have coffee at restaurants. They did the night that a high as a kite guy blew a red light hit three cars dead on in the intersection, then careened into a line of park cars. Guess who' s car got hit first in that row of cars... my mom's. I would have been killed and my sister crushed between two cars. He hit the passenger tail end of the car where i would have been standing.

Same night we watched the firefighters use the jaws of life on a little sedan with a young couple in it not 5 feet from us. That man killed 7 people that night. Could have been 9 if it weren't for out of character behavoirs for my parents. I truly believe it was NOT coincidence either.

My hubby at 16 witnessed an 18 wheeler trucker crash and burn to death in the wreck. Burnt meat still makes him kind of gag. Said the screaming of the trucker was the worse thing ever but the smell of burning human flesh was even more so worse than the screaming.

:(

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I had one similar to yours Caribbean man. We were on a rafting trip... Sort of delinquents since we had old patched up surplus rafts, ancient life jackets (and not enough to go around), and even a couple viking helmets to scare the tourist... The tour guides hated seeing us lol. Anyway, there’s this spot where we thought we could cliff jump into the river across from these natural hot spring tubs where we took a break. To impress the girls, a few us decided to swim across, climb it, and cliff jump. First off, this is a mountain river; swift strong current with intermittent rapids. Nothing extreme, but enough to keep things interesting. When we decided to try jumping off this cliff, we set off without life jackets. Even though I’m a strong swimmer, I had a very hard time of it just getting to the cliff. It is a lot of swimming against the current and not a lot of progress across... quite tiring. The base of this cliff was also in the heavy current. I reached it already shaking from the effort, but needed to get out of the river.

So, we start to climb to get to the top (and out of the water to rest)... About fifteen feet up close to the top was this shelf... I came face to face with a rattlesnake baking in the sun. He didn’t like me intruding... I pushed off and was back in the river. Exhausted and tired, I didn’t have enough left in me to make it back across. So... I was swept downstrean and into some rapids. I bounced off a ton of rocks. Eventually I made it to the shore a long way from the hot springs... Lots of bruises and scrapes, coughing up water and throwing up, but still alive. Caught up to another of our group that went through the same ordeal and got a nasty gash. The other two guys never saw the snake and climbed right past it thinking we just fell... The snake wasn’t half as scary as knowing you were going to drown whether that be from exhaustion or braining yourself on some rock.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Racer,
Drowning is one of the most scariest feelings ever.
When I had just started scuba diving, my cousin [ an experienced diver] and I went to this particular island to scuba dive and shoot some pictures.
I had the camera [ waterproof, designed for divers] and he had a fishing speargun because the locals said that sometimes there are sharks where we were going to dive.
We went down just about 50 feet and began exploring. There were these huge coral fans an beautiful angel fish, parrot fish and moray eels etc. swimming between them.I started taking pictures.
I felt something scrape across my back and panicked.
The strap for the camera snagged my regulator,I pulled off my mask and I began to suck water.
Immediately I shot upwards to the surface trying to hold my breath.
It was like an eternity,I began to take in more water.
When I finally broke the surface, I started to vomit until I vomited blood. Even my nose was bleeding.
My cousin asked why I panicked, I told him I thought it was a shark. he laughed and said it was a coral fan behind me, moving with the current.
We headed back to the boat, and inshore.
When I told my wife she began to cry,and begged me not to go back diving.
Whenever I go diving now, she gets upset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.