Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy a home they said. It would be fun they said.
Ha!

Good Evening Everyone,
I've been wanting to remodel the main bathroom since we moved in. House was built in 1950, updated once in the late 70s/early 80s and there is has stayed until we bought it 8 years ago. Mister sees no point in remodeling just for aesthetics, and he gets frustrated when furniture is out of order and there are tools all over the place. I haven't done any improvements for well over a year, but the fugly has gotten under my skin and I deserve a home that is not cringeworthy. At least.

Anything I want to do to improve looks is on me. I'm not vain, nor do I care about keeping up with the Joneses, but I cannot stand the brown paneling, deteriorating beadboard, and peeling vinyl flooring anymore. I have a very specific look in mind for this weekend's bathroom redo: a farmhouse inspired look with shiplap walls, classic hexagon floors, subway tiled tub surround with cubbies for storage, and a super tall shower. The centerpiece will be a vintage walnut hutch turned into a vanity, topped off with an oil rubbed waterfall faucet. Total costs will not exceed $800 and I'm replacing everything floor to ceiling. The only things staying are the tub and crapper. I've shopped carefully on Mercari, FB Marketplace, and Thrift Stores for key items.

Besides adding huge value to the the house, the whole floor needs to come up. NOW. The wax ring under the pooper has failed and yucky stuff is seeping under the vinyl and has bubbled up the particle board underneath. From the crawl space, I cannot see any water damage to the subflooring, but I will see when the particleboard comes up. Fingers crossed the pb soaked up everything..

Mister hasn't been too interested in this project, nor has shown a lot of concern with the discoloration of the floor around the loo. It would probably take him falling through the floor be inspired to fix it. So I'm rolling up my sleeves, donning the proper ppe, and ignoring his complaints to get it done. For the next 4 days, to heck with his complacency and comfort. I don't care that he can't hear his stupid shows over the air compressor or has sawdust in his snacks. If he jumps into help, great. If not, he can go watch TV in his camper.

I deserve to not shudder when I'm bathing.

I will put all the tools away when I'm done.

I will work safely.

I'm already planning a complete overhaul of the kitchen and dining doom for under 5k and might have already scored a sink...

So, what are you doing this weekend?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
If the particle board needs to be changed then before you put any other covering on it give it a coat of sealant and then a few coats of quick drying paint, whatever color is the cheapest nobody is going to see it anyway.
Also to really finish off the bathroom put some pvc ceiling panels up. They are really easy to fit and you’ll never have to paint the ceiling again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the particle board needs to be changed then before you put any other covering on it give it a coat of sealant and then a few coats of quick drying paint, whatever color is the cheapest nobody is going to see it anyway.
Also to really finish off the bathroom put some pvc ceiling panels up. They are really easy to fit and you’ll never have to paint the ceiling again.
It definitely does. Its bloated and swolen in some spots. And yes I will be sealing, under and over the tile. I have leveling compound and lots of paint in the garage 👷‍♀️
I did get the ceiling done at least. I used beadboard horizontally to make the room seem a little wider.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Wow I am SO impressed with your DIY knowledge. How did you learn all of this?

The bathroom plans sound spectacular. You have great taste.

I won't be doing anything remotely as exciting or productive as you that's for sure.

Good luck and good for you.👏👏👏

·
Registered
329 Posts
Buy a home they said. It would be fun they said.
Ha!

Good Evening Everyone,
I've been wanting to remodel the main bathroom since we moved in. House was built in 1950, updated once in the late 70s/early 80s and there is has stayed until we bought it 8 years ago. Mister sees no point in remodeling just for aesthetics, and he gets frustrated when furniture is out of order and there are tools all over the place. I haven't done any improvements for well over a year, but the fugly has gotten under my skin and I deserve a home that is not cringeworthy. At least.

Anything I want to do to improve looks is on me. I'm not vain, nor do I care about keeping up with the Joneses, but I cannot stand the brown paneling, deteriorating beadboard, and peeling vinyl flooring anymore. I have a very specific look in mind for this weekend's bathroom redo: a farmhouse inspired look with shiplap walls, classic hexagon floors, subway tiled tub surround with cubbies for storage, and a super tall shower. The centerpiece will be a vintage walnut hutch turned into a vanity, topped off with an oil rubbed waterfall faucet. Total costs will not exceed $800 and I'm replacing everything floor to ceiling. The only things staying are the tub and crapper. I've shopped carefully on Mercari, FB Marketplace, and Thrift Stores for key items.

Besides adding huge value to the the house, the whole floor needs to come up. NOW. The wax ring under the pooper has failed and yucky stuff is seeping under the vinyl and has bubbled up the particle board underneath. From the crawl space, I cannot see any water damage to the subflooring, but I will see when the particleboard comes up. Fingers crossed the pb soaked up everything..

Mister hasn't been too interested in this project, nor has shown a lot of concern with the discoloration of the floor around the loo. It would probably take him falling through the floor be inspired to fix it. So I'm rolling up my sleeves, donning the proper ppe, and ignoring his complaints to get it done. For the next 4 days, to heck with his complacency and comfort. I don't care that he can't hear his stupid shows over the air compressor or has sawdust in his snacks. If he jumps into help, great. If not, he can go watch TV in his camper.

I deserve to not shudder when I'm bathing.

I will put all the tools away when I'm done.

I will work safely.

I'm already planning a complete overhaul of the kitchen and dining doom for under 5k and might have already scored a sink...

Helpful hint from someone who has done a couple of bathroom remodels.
Use an exterior grade plywood on the floor.
Much nicer to use, plus particle board does not play well with water.
If you are just doing around the toilet, you will not need much anyway. (You may be able to piece it in.)
Depending on what floor covering you are going to use, you will probably have to go over it anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow I am SO impressed with your DIY knowledge. How did you learn all of this?

The bathroom plans sound spectacular. You have great taste.

I won't be doing anything remotely as exciting or productive as you that's for sure.

Good luck and good for you.👏👏👏
Lots and lots of YouTube. Lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Helpful hint from someone who has done a couple of bathroom remodels.
Use an exterior grade plywood on the floor.
Much nicer to use, plus particle board does not play well with water.
If you are just doing around the toilet, you will not need much anyway. (You may be able to piece it in.)
Depending on what floor covering you are going to use, you will probably have to go over it anyway.
Good advice. I have no idea why they used PB under the bathroom, especially when they used plywood all over the rest of the house. Silly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow!!!

My husband has remodeled a few bathrooms in our previous and current home. I've been there to hand him tools, drinks, and food. It took him a lot of demolishing and cleaning but it was well worth it!

You are very talented if you can handle a remodeling job on your own! Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Contacting you to renovate our bathroom..!

We have an old place too... full of character... and bathrooms that need fixing. But that job is going to lead to a bigger reno job, so it's on the list. Still, the old dame is a charmer so we're forgiving of her demands. What you described for your bathroom sounds similar to what we're wanting to do. You're not going to know yourself stepping into a renewed bathroom..!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts