Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi would you report your partner if you knew that he /she had committed a crime while you were with them ie insurance fraud stealing lying about some thing illegal after you have parted for good

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Straight to the police.

My ex h pulled identity theft on me after I left him. He stole my personal info and took out credit cards in my name and maxed them out. He thought it was funny since he got away with it. This was before identity theft was protected. He also wrote several different checks stating for over 2,000 in child support. He copied the fronts of the checks and submitted it to the county. They believed him and I was never paid. I was furious since there was nothing they would do. I asked for a copy of me signing the back of the checks and the county blew me off.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I'm usually one to take the high road, but there are times where revenge feels really good and it's appropriate. It depends on the individual circumstances. If the crimes you spoke about were fairly recent, then I would go ahead and report it. Just be sure you aren't implicating yourself in any way. If it was a long time ago, find another way to get even.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back up i am not talking about me but seeing the way of the world it seemed only natural for some might want to get some sort of revenge him / her if they felt abused

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi would you report your partner if you knew that he /she had committed a crime while you were with them ie insurance fraud stealing lying about some thing illegal after you have parted for good

Forget about it. The best revenge to give your WS is you getting over them and MOVING ON. Wish them the best in your own mind, silently, and move on, and as you do you WILL become stronger period

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If you have kids , you need to think of them and let this go.
Right! Show your kids that the code of silence is much better than to live by principle! Take the easy way out!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Right! Show your kids that the code of silence is much better than to live by principle! Take the easy way out!
Slippery slope when the motive for reporting this "crime" is not based on principle, but on revenge. If that is the case, such an act is only telling the children that you can be "selective" on "principle" depending on how the outcome affects you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would like to file a police report on my dad since we have both injured each other in fights.

But can't do that since we both would end up in the local jail.

Also what kind of crime?

Like, insurance fraud, how bad?
But is it a crime like...rape? Murder...bank robbery?
Organized Crime? (always wondered what it would be like to be a mob boss...)
Cuckolding?

Because the crime may mean a different answer to a lot of people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Excuse me if it takes food out the kids mouth WTF. Plus whatever it is the OP has known about this already. My meaning was simple don't hurt your kids trying to get revenge on your ex. Sometimes people forget about the kids. The kids don't need to have all this childish revenge going on. If some people would start putting the kids first, they would not have time for Bulls....

It is not called taking the easy way out. It is called moving the f on with your life.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Tough call, would depend on the nature of the offense and the potential to negatively impact our children. If no kids, then most likely I would.

WD

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would think the kids aren't aware of the fraud in question. I mentioned the kids because if the crime is such that one of their parents ends up in prison then this will impact their lives greatly.

If the BS knew about the crime beforehand and didn't report it then they are complicit in it after the fact (keeping in mind that I'm no lawyer or criminologist.)

If principle was all that was involved, the BS should've reported the crime when he or she first found out about it.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
And then there are the "exclusionary rules" that might well prohibit the testimony of a spouse against the other, so long as they are still deemed to be married.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would think the kids aren't aware of the fraud in question. I mentioned the kids because if the crime is such that one of their parents ends up in prison then this will impact their lives greatly.

If the BS knew about the crime beforehand and didn't report it then they are complicit in it after the fact (keeping in mind that I'm no lawyer or criminologist.)

If principle was all that was involved, the BS should've reported the crime when he or she first found out about it.
:iagree:

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I see both side of this...

With my situation my H had a letter notarized (a letter of invitation to enter Canada for a visit), in order to bring his "friend' over here for a visit from Singapore so she could look for a job. In the letter it states that she would have been staying at our address during her visit here...

I told him I would send that letter in (I found a copy of it) to Dept. of Immigration and both him and her would be in trouble. As we R'd I did not do it but believe me in the state of anger I was in I would have done it had we not reconciled. I told him what a stupid idiot he was for even thinking of signing his name to a letter like that.....

I can understand the anger and why you would be tempted....but the lawyer told me that once you act on something like that it is hard to take it back..as she put it once the wheels of justice begin it is hard to put a stop to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.