Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Marriage is solely a civil process, and before that a social, community recognition. Marriage only became associated with religion in the twelfth century. If you buy into a particular religion, you may accept marriage as a religious rite, but even as such it was an invention of man. Divorce is therefore no more than dissolving a contract when it is no longer viable, IMO.

The early church had no specific rite for marriage. This was left up to the secular authorities of the Roman Empire, since marriage is a legal concern for the legitimacy of heirs. When the Empire became Christian under Constantine, Christian emperors continued the imperial control of marriage, as the Code of Justinian makes clear.
... and ...

Only in the twelfth century was a claim made for some supernatural favor (grace) bestowed on marriage as a sacrament. By the next century marriage had been added to the biblically sacred number of seven sacraments. Since Thomas Aquinas argued that the spouses’ consent is the efficient cause of marriage and the seal of intercourse was the final cause, it is hard to see what a priest’s blessing could add to the reality of the bond. And bad effects followed. This sacralizing of the natural reality led to a demoting of Yahwist marriage, the only kind Jesus recognized, as inferior to “true marriage” in a church.
The Myth About Marriage by Garry Wills | NYRblog | The New York Review of Books

Also: Marriage Equality and Religion: Frequently Asked Questions | CLGS

Reactions: MysticSoul

·
Premium Member
20,411 Posts
I grew up Catholic and the teaching was no divorce. Though, many Catholics even when I was young were divorcing and having no trouble getting annulments.

The real question, though, mx, is what are your beliefs? And how are they changing? Are you struggling with this?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Biblically speaking, there are only three acceptable reasons for divorce:

1. Adultery
  2. Abandonment
  3. Physical or Mental Abuse of a Spouse or a Child
Can you site them? Please, if you have them on hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Can you site them? Please, if you have them on hand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sexual Immorality or Infidelity- Matthew 5:32
Abandonment of Spouse or Children- 1 Corinthians 7:15
Physical/Emotional Abuse of Spouse or Child- 1 Corinthians 4:6

I might add that these are the generally accepted reasons for a divorce, at least in the United Methodist Church.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sexual Immorality or Infidelity- Matthew 5:32
Abandonment of Spouse or Children- 1 Corinthians 7:15
Physical/Emotional Abuse of Spouse or Child- 1 Corinthians 4:6

I might add that these are the generally accepted reasons for a divorce, at least in the United Methodist Church.
Matthew 5:32: "but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

I'm unsure how you reconcile that verse with your other valid reasons for divorce.

·
Registered
16,580 Posts
Matthew 5:32: "but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

I'm unsure how you reconcile that verse with your other valid reasons for divorce.
Hawk: The way I read into Matthew 5:32 is that it is indeed construed to be adultery if a divorced man knowingly marries another divorced woman who had been divorced by a prior husband for reasons of adultery that she had committed against their marriage.

Anything else would seemingly be legitimate!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that sexist? Since it doesn't say anything about women marrying divorced men. Again, I'm sure we could just assume this applies to men too, but male/female relationships were very different then than they are here and now.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Marriage is solely a civil process, and before that a social, community recognition. Marriage only became associated with religion in the twelfth century. If you buy into a particular religion, you may accept marriage as a religious rite, but even as such it was an invention of man. Divorce is therefore no more than dissolving a contract when it is no longer viable, IMO.

... and ...

Completely wrong. It was created by God in the Garden.

·
Banned
5,048 Posts

... and ...

Marriage was created by God in the Garden of Eden before the fall of Man. It is a sacred covenant. Marriage is God's idea. A physical, emotional and spiritual union between a man and a woman. I will add I am a Christian that believes the Word of God is holy, without sin.

Reactions: arbitrator

·
Registered
380 Posts
Marriage was created by God in the Garden of Eden before the fall of Man. It is a sacred covenant. Marriage is God's idea. A physical, emotional and spiritual union between a man and a woman. I will add I am a Christian that believes the Word of God is holy, without sin.
More from god's sacred idea of marriage....

" If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

LOL

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the Word of God is holy, without sin.
How can words sin? Wouldn't all words be without sin? They're just bundles of letters. How they may be interpreted puts the "sin" on the reader or the writer, but words.....not sentient enough to sin.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I mean no offense to anyone but, it remined me of what my MIL says, "it's one thing to be a Christian, it's another thing to be a doormat."

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
I've never read the words marriage, husband, wife, or marry in the Genesis account of Adam and Eve. However, it is completely wrong to state that there was no religious aspect to marriage prior to the 12th century. The Jewish marriage rites of first century Judea were referred to repeatedly by Jesus in his teachings and the Romans had wedding ceremonies that included religion.

What is relatively new about marriage is the involvement of the government.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.