Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't really agree with a lot of what he's saying, honestly.

He's trying to say that people don't understand the other side, but the other side is wrong. So, there's nothing to understand. They're just wrong. There's no "Oh, you're not seeing it from their point of view". No, they're a bunch of jerkoffs. There is no liberty versus oppression when it comes to safety. I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that they are beyond reasoning.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I made it through ten minutes before shutting it down. It really didn't require 40 minutes to explain people who value their liberty eschew masks. Bully for them - they can flip "the Man" the bird and carry on being self-centered and in need of groceries.

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blondi, that is not what it is about, it is about the 6 moral foundations and how to move past the emotional argument and try to build bridges.

Bobert, he talks about that as well, the other side might be wrong on some things, but demanding they accept they are wrong and being emotional about it, is not going to change anything.

·
Premium Member
24,191 Posts
He lost me as soon as he said the science behind mask has not been decided and that is not a valid point. There is a point to be made about people who do not understand how to wear or use a disposable mask (disposable the operative word). A mask, appropriately used can reduce droplets of saliva (that potentially carry respiratory viruses) to be airborne. The surgical type of mask can do this quite well. Where the surgical style mask is not useful is in reducing aerosolized viral particles or decreasing the wearer of the mask chances of contracting the virus through saliva droplets. He needs to make a clear scientific distinction before he attempts to make this into a polarizing ideological issue. I know he assumes he is make some moral argument, but when you don’t have all the correct information, that part of the argument fails.

So, if is his point is to suggest we should just understand the other persons polarizing take on this pandemic, that is not make it political, he failed. You have to start with factual information before ”you go on your diatribe”.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I did watch the whole thing, but I think those people are beyond reasoning so it's a waste of time and effort to convince them otherwise. Nothing will change their mind when they are that far gone. I agree that being emotional and telling them to suck it up won't help either but nothing will.

My wife watched it with me and she'd liked it and thought he had some good points. We got into a bit of a debate about it. So to each their own...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the other side might be wrong on some things, but demanding they accept they are wrong and being emotional about it, is not going to change anything.
It's not about "demanding" that they accept they are wrong, it's about offering evidence.

It sounds like he is taking a position of moral relativism: that he thinks it's OK for different people to have different moralities.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I really don't want to convince someone that they are wrong (couldn't anyway). I don't care if they don't wear a mask as long as they stay 20 feet away, don't breathe in my direction and keep their mouth shut. No talking! Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
24,191 Posts
I really don't want to convince someone that they are wrong (couldn't anyway). I don't care if they don't wear a mask as long as they stay 20 feet away, don't breathe in my direction and keep their mouth shut. No talking! Problem solved.
not yet published, but there is evidence that loud talkers may be greater spreaders than those who are not. Maybe the real moral is that ”we” (not picking on anyone) are too noisy and just need to talk a little less. 😁

I agree with your take on this issue. I don’t particularly find wearing a mask all that comfortable, but just trying to provide a greater good to my neighbors friends and extended family.

·
Registered
515 Posts
“North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum became emotional Friday as he pleaded with residents not to divide themselves over mask wearing amid the coronavirus pandemic or shame those who choose to wear masks, but to instead be empathetic.
"I would really love to see in North Dakota that we could just skip this thing that other parts of the nation are going through, where they're creating a divide -- either it's ideological or political or something -- around mask versus no mask," Burgum, a Republican, said during a news conference Friday in Bismarck. "This is a, I would say, senseless dividing line."
He urged people to "try to dial up your empathy and your understanding."

"If someone is wearing a mask, they're not doing it to represent what political party they're in or what candidates they support," he said as his voice began to waver. "They might be doing it because they've got a 5-year-old child who's been going through cancer treatments. They might have vulnerable adults in their life, who currently have Covid and they're fighting."
Burgum argued that if somebody wants to wears a mask, there should be no shaming.
"You should look at them and say that person's wearing a mask because for them, there's additional risk in their life," he added.”

·
Registered
515 Posts
“North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum became emotional Friday as he pleaded with residents not to divide themselves over mask wearing amid the coronavirus pandemic or shame those who choose to wear masks, but to instead be empathetic.
"I would really love to see in North Dakota that we could just skip this thing that other parts of the nation are going through, where they're creating a divide -- either it's ideological or political or something -- around mask versus no mask," Burgum, a Republican, said during a news conference Friday in Bismarck. "This is a, I would say, senseless dividing line."
He urged people to "try to dial up your empathy and your understanding."

"If someone is wearing a mask, they're not doing it to represent what political party they're in or what candidates they support," he said as his voice began to waver. "They might be doing it because they've got a 5-year-old child who's been going through cancer treatments. They might have vulnerable adults in their life, who currently have Covid and they're fighting."
Burgum argued that if somebody wants to wears a mask, there should be no shaming.
"You should look at them and say that person's wearing a mask because for them, there's additional risk in their life," he added.”

End of Story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts