Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You are so WISE! Thank you. Perhaps the person proposing the "med" mask is a majority of the underlying problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Medication issues are between a doctor and patient. After all, there are many years of study invested and there’s a good reason why doctor usually knows best - they did the hard yards to be able to prescribe them.

Now if a spouse believes they know more than a doctor, and genuinely care for their spouse (above themselves, because after all they have the benefit of great health and don’t need medication), they should come along to appointments and Discuss these concerns in front of their partner.

Isn’t that the mature and responsible way to do things?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My doctor knows me well...a spouse is welcomed if they do not want to diagnose the other partner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You are your own best advocate and know best how a medication affects you, as this is something that directly affects you; it's indirect or seemingly inconsequential for him. If you have concerns, you need to state them clearly. Now, if my wife were unable to do the research needed to understand the complex drug interactions, etc., I'd do it for her and be her advocate - but only if really necessary. I might rely on the doctor to inform me - and I would ask questions (we go with each other to appointments where we may need help understanding, remembering, or advocating for each other).
Thank you so very much for your comment.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
So everyone is telling everyone else how to live their life, what to believe, what not to believe, etc. If your husband wants to be an atheist, that's his right. If you want to or don't want to take meds, that's your right.

Any chance you could get the family together to respectfully air their grievances and learn to accept that everyone has free agency over their life decisions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So everyone is telling everyone else how to live their life, what to believe, what not to believe, etc. If your husband wants to be an atheist, that's his right. If you want to or don't want to take meds, that's your right.

Any chance you could get the family together to respectfully air their grievances and learn to accept that everyone has free agency over their life decisions?
That would be an awesome dream!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
@doella1965 - Do you think there is any way your could facilitate a respectful conversation? For example, you mentioned your youngest daughter "adored" her father before he decided to become an atheist. Isn't that a rather unloving response? Wouldn't it be better to facilitate healing by trying to accept him as he currently is? Why do you feel your daughter is being so intolerant? Why would she cut someone out of her life she loved?

I think you just need to tell your husband if he feels you are in need of meds, he should go along with you to visit the prescribing physician to vent his concerns. Frankly, whether he is concerned or not, it's not your place to pacify him or acquiesce to his demands/expectations. Have you told him to get out of your business?

ETA: Wishing, hoping, or dreaming that family members will start to treat one another with respect isn't going to happen. Concrete action is needed. Since you posted here, I'd suggest it start with you. Will anyone go to counseling? Or are they all to stuck in the I'm-right-you're-wrong stance?

Reactions: Al_Bundy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@doella1965 - Do you think there is any way your could facilitate a respectful conversation? For example, you mentioned your youngest daughter "adored" her father before he decided to become an atheist. Isn't that a rather unloving response? Wouldn't it be better to facilitate healing by trying to accept him as he currently is? Why do you feel your daughter is being so intolerant? Why would she cut someone out of her life she loved?

I think you just need to tell your husband if he feels you are in need of meds, he should go along with you to visit the prescribing physician to vent his concerns. Frankly, whether he is concerned or not, it's not your place to pacify him or acquiesce to his demands/expectations. Have you told him to get out of your business?

ETA: Wishing, hoping, or dreaming that family members will start to treat one another with respect isn't going to happen. Concrete action is needed. Since you posted here, I'd suggest it start with you. Will anyone go to counseling? Or are they all to stuck in the I'm-right-you're-wrong stance?
I really appreciate & respect your response. I am always the peacemaker in the family, however, at some point others have to be responsible for their feelings, etc....I share your ETA! Pretty much, everyone thinks that they are right! As far as my daughter is concerned ...I have reminded her of all of the awesomeness qualities & love that her stepdad (pops) has for her.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I am going to answer your question with another question. I'll first make the assumption that the medication was prescribed by a doctor to a patient.

If you go to a doctor for care, why would you refuse it? Does your husband not allow you to go for a second opinion? If he does not allow for that then there is a problem. Do you not want a second opinion nor to follow your doctor's advice? If that is the case your husband is caring for you by encouraging you to follow your doctor's instructions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Indeed, not very 'christian' either.
I am going to answer your question with another question. I'll first make the assumption that the medication was prescribed by a doctor to a patient.

If you go to a doctor for care, why would you refuse it? Does your husband not allow you to go for a second opinion? If he does not allow for that then there is a problem. Do you not want a second opinion nor to follow your doctor's advice? If that is the case your husband is caring for you by encouraging you to follow your doctor's instructions.
Thanks for your response....my doctor , nor my counselor, has not recommended that I be on medication.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
As far as my daughter is concerned ...I have reminded her of all of the awesomeness qualities & love that her stepdad (pops) has for her.
So what reason does she give for her change of heart towards him?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts