Talk About Marriage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
All I can tell you is if you were to be having this discussion with a family lawyer he would laugh at your demands.

No one, and I mean not one lawyer would advice her to abide by what you want. Sorry pal, you're way out of the left field here.

This is what happens with second marriages, when bringing in properties and children are at stake. She's damned right to keep what's hers, hers.

All you see is paying half of her mortgage. Go out and rent abd you'll be paying at least twice as much of her mortgage with nothing to account for when the lease expires.

You have it made, you just don't realize it from an economic point of view of renting. Whatever you go you'll have to pay somebody, and nothing to show for.

My advice, go back to live with your mother. Save the money, someday you'll be able to get your own property. Then, you'll be able to do as you wish with whomever you partner with when she comes to live to your house.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
So, even before and even after we get married, you think she’s in the right by expecting me to pay half her house payment along with my half of the other expenses in the household?….hmm.
Which obviously, all together would be much less than you renting, wouldn't it be?

Moreover, the amount of her monthly mortgage, has nothing to do with what you're paying for rent. She could be paying $0.00 dollars, and still she can charge you what she wants. Is up to you whether to accept it or not. Once again, you're still paying less than what renting would cost you.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Spot on, his name on the deed has no bearing on how the property is split in case of divorce. His fiancee is clueless if she thinks having the title makes it separate property

I'm not a lawyer, but if she keeps everything separated, by putting the house in a trust for her kids. Whatever he pays her will not be considered paying towards a mortgage, but living there rent/expenses, so it would do matter how she protects the property before marriage.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I disagree with what's being said here about pre and post marriage, right now at this moment, he has not leg to stand on legally. They are not married and dependent where they live most likely is not even considered common law.

Although I am not a lawyer, I know for a fact of previous cases of known people to me, where there's no possibility for the partner to claim anything from the other partner due to the way the house ownership is set up.

She can place in an irrevocable trust for her kids the house, and regardless how much he wants to put in that house he will never have any legal rights to it.

There's many ways to do this. Rich people that have this type of situation all the time avoid these pitfalls by getting an iron tight assets protection document were the other partner can't touch those pre marriage assets, such as a house.

All she needs to do is to get an estate lawyer and they will make sure that he never will have any rights to her house.
Come on people, this happens all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts