Talk About Marriage banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've had messages sent to me before that were interested in a relationship. 'Hi! My name is X. I'm very interested in a relationship with you. Please contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX or [email protected] 'Huh? What? Uh, no....' Just not here. I always just ignored them.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Was the flight from Michigan to Florida?
I’m not going to name her but she had thousands of posts on tam. As I wrote earlier her mother really had died and she seemed desperate to get back to her home city so I helped her out.
This was about three years ago and she hasn’t been back on tam since.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I’m not going to name her but she had thousands of posts on tam. As I wrote earlier her mother really had died and she seemed desperate to get back to her home city so I helped her out.
This was about three years ago and she hasn’t been back on tam since.
I so know who it is, pretty sure she hit up some other folks too, for all kinds of expenses here and there. For what its worth I do think she was real, but I think she recognized she could take advantage and ultimately she did.

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
I've had messages sent to me before that were interested in a relationship. 'Hi! My name is X. I'm very interested in a relationship with you. Please contact me at XXX-XXX-XXXX or [email protected] 'Huh? What? Uh, no....' Just not here. I always just ignored them.
LoL!

Well I'm envious! Never happened though I did get a declaration of love once.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
LoL!

Well I'm envious! Never happened though I did get a declaration of love once.:smile2:
Yeah, sorry about that. I was drunk.

·
Administrator
43,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I so know who it is, pretty sure she hit up some other folks too, for all kinds of expenses here and there. For what its worth I do think she was real, but I think she recognized she could take advantage and ultimately she did.
Now I'm really curious who she is. :nerd:

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Was the flight from Michigan to Florida?
I’ve just remembered another person on tam “M” who set up a “go fund me” page to pay for her husband to fly to his home city which as far as I remember was in Florida,because his Mom had died.
She was genuine I think, but the link she supplied didn’t work. I asked her about it on the thread but she didn’t want to talk about it.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I was asked to pay for flights for a woman and her husband because her Mom had died. I did so without any expectation of being repaid but a few weeks later she asked me for “a few thousand dollars” because she needed a new car.
I declined and she never posted again on tam.
That was very kind of you and I am sorry a person you helped was so...rude and ungrateful.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
I’ve just remembered another person on tam “M” who set up a “go fund me” page to pay for her husband to fly to his home city which as far as I remember was in Florida,because his Mom had died.
She was genuine I think, but the link she supplied didn’t work. I asked her about it on the thread but she didn’t want to talk about it.
I'm glad to hear it wasn't M. Thanks, Andy.

And, remember, no good deed goes unpunished. ha-ha

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
As they say around here “A fool and his money are soon parted”.
This was one of my biggest "new money" mistakes. I literally helped any and everybody that had a need. But recently I have stopped just giving people money, because it goes down exactly like you stated. I once bought the seafood guy at my local supermarket a car. Because I saw him riding his bike to work every day, even in the cold and rainy weather. He was overcome with emotion. I felt good about it. Until...he told everyone in the store. Then I couldn't go shopping without hearing hard luck stories from every employee in the store, even he himself kept bringing up other financial needs he had. I've found that when you help someone out. They do appreciate it, but...they also become entitled. Just my experience....

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
This was one of my biggest "new money" mistakes. I literally helped any and everybody that had a need. But recently I have stopped just giving people money, because it goes down exactly like you stated. I once bought the seafood guy at my local supermarket a car. Because I saw him riding his bike to work every day, even in the cold and rainy weather. He was overcome with emotion. I felt good about it. Until...he told everyone in the store. Then I couldn't go shopping without hearing hard luck stories from every employee in the store, even he himself kept bringing up other financial needs he had. I've found that when you help someone out. They do appreciate it, but...they also become entitled. Just my experience....
This is why there are only 4 people on this earth who know my financial status: my Mom, my best friend of 50+ years, my broker and my CPA. To everyone else, I'm just a widow who drives a Nissan.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I was the same way but more prone to having the life sucked out of me by emotional vampires with a sad story to tell. (And at the worst times in my life) and my heart has always been in the right place but I just don't think properly from time to time. And there's nothing wrong with doing for anyone, but it's sad that you have to keep your eyes peeled to almost everything and everyone around you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I befriended someone on here through a PM. I've been told I'm way too kind and I was with this person. I gave up a LOT of my time talking to them, they were really mentally unwell and I wanted to help. It just got very weird. I then realized it wasn't only them that had a problem, I had/have boundary issues.

·
Administrator
43,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I befriended someone on here through a PM. I've been told I'm way too kind and I was with this person. I gave up a LOT of my time talking to them, they were really mentally unwell and I wanted to help. It just got very weird. I then realized it wasn't only them that had a problem, I had/have boundary issues.
It's very easy to get sucked into stuff like this. I've had it happen to me. And once in a while, it turned out that the person I trying to support via PM was troll and their entire story was, well a story.. a fairy tale.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts