Talk About Marriage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,478 Posts
Doesn't the new company have a decent insurance option that includes mental health counseling?

Have you considered that mental health is as important to quality of life as anything else? You might want to rethink your living arrangements. You could rent your house out and move to a suburban setting that isn't too busy, but is closer to services, including mental health and perhaps a job with benefits that would allow you to use those services. The overall picture is important when considering what is best.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My new company has an EAP and much better coverage for things like mental health and body systems work.
All else...Major life changes change our DNA and make things clearer and better.
In the words of Tom Sholtz "Don't look back"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I'm trying to figure how a floundering company can afford to give anyone a 50% raise. I've been on the other side of this equation. I'm also trying to figure out how a 5% pay cut is a great offer. If the benefits are worth more than 5% (and they easily could be) then it is a good offer. When I was floundering, well really foundering, the employees who left earlier did better.

50% raise is a huge pile of money. It does sound fishy.
Lots of people quitting and getting fired. Like I said in my original post, my company is about half the size it was, with most of the atrition in the last 18 months.

Regarding the decrease in pay. The rural area where I live has suppressed wages. The salary decrease is more than made up for in 401k match, profit sharing, and decreased medical premiums.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So what you gunna do?
Now I am waiting on a call from either the President or the COO to hear what the latest proposal is.
I can't see staying, overwhelmingly here and in my inner circle people say move on. And somewhere near the surface something that might be personal integrity is nagging me not to let myself be bought.

It will all be sorted out either today or early tomorrow. I honestly can't wait to hear their pitch, approaching it now with the lens that you all have provided for me. So thank you all again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It was all smoke to get me talking and try to sway me. What they really offered;
The 10% bonus was really a 10% raise
The 50% increase was really long term pie in the sky target
The "in the room" was really "taking everything I shared to a big shooter meeting and really taking it to heart about the way they run the business and how they can be more in touch"
So I am feeling a bit foolish.
I will be moving on to new and better things as of May 1.

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
It was all smoke to get me talking and try to sway me. What they really offered;
The "in the room" was really "taking everything I shared to a big shooter meeting and really taking it to heart about the way they run the business and how they can be more in touch"
No need to feel foolish. Yeah, that's pretty standard stuff, but you didn't commit before finding out exactly what was up.

Best wishes on your new endeavor!

·
Registered
535 Posts
good job sussing it out...

counter offers typically turn out bad...

Even the "big" money... you're life style matches quickly, but you still have sh#@ty job.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.