Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deep topic.

What do you think is the purpose of life? Do you think there is a purpose? Are your opinions based on a religious belief?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Would that be a purpose to all life or just specifically to mankind?

Reactions: SunCMars

·
Registered
17,217 Posts
I can’t get into it here because my beliefs are just too woo woo for the average TAM reader. But I do believe there is purpose. Just that we won’t “remember” what that purpose was until we die. Also I believe the smallest most trivial events in our lives are part of this purpose.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
No purpose whatsoever. Purpose implies a consciousness outside myself with a goal for my being here to which I do not subscribe.

The follow-on question is usually something about how can I be anything but a complete nihilist. The only answer I can give is that I do not need to have a predefined purpose for my existence to find it meaningful, to have a functioning morality, to care about others, or to be a "good person".

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
There is no purpose to life, if there is no afterlife. There are literally few consequences for those who live a decent life and go along with whatever the newest trend is within the culture. This would provide a means of survival in itself.

There is no reason for us to be here. We are just a matured parasite. I use the term parasite because that is literally what we are in the womb. We live off of the host. Therefore, only because the majority believe something is wrong, would we have any laws. If we were all of the belief that no one is worth more than a parasite, then we would have no laws about murder or any other crime against humanity. Why would we need to care?

When we realize we normally have a desire to achieve at least some of Maslow's Hierarch of needs, we know that there is something more to us than simple animals. We don't need that quality. We only need a desire to procreate to continue. Food sources would regulate population.

The earth did not have a need for humans. We don't contribute much to the environment. We use the earth's resources and barely give back, if at all. We even take resources from the earth and send them to space where oxygen and hydrogen are expelled after chemical reaction, never to return to earth. We are literally throwing away our own resources when that happens. They won't return. At least, CO2 can be split into carbon and oxygen and reused by plants for food and to replenish oxygen.

What do we do? Can't think of a thing. Well, we love each other. Do we? Really?

So, if there really is no need for us to be here in the circle of life that keeps the earth healthy, like the rest of nature, there has to be something else. There is no other reason evolution had to produce such an intelligent creature.

Reactions: red oak and aine

·
Premium Member
17,835 Posts
I can’t get into it here because my beliefs are just too woo woo for the average TAM reader. But I do believe there is purpose. Just that we won’t “remember” what that purpose was until we die. Also I believe the smallest most trivial events in our lives are part of this purpose.
Is that a technical term? ;) :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think that everyone is here for a special purpose. Sometimes, we know early on what that is; sometimes it takes a little while to figure it out. I’m not terribly religious, but am spiritual, but this opinion/feeling has nothing to do with that, it’s just how I feel about things.

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No purpose whatsoever. Purpose implies a consciousness outside myself with a goal for my being here to which I do not subscribe.

The follow-on question is usually something about how can I be anything but a complete nihilist. The only answer I can give is that I do not need to have a predefined purpose for my existence to find it meaningful, to have a functioning morality, to care about others, or to be a "good person".
I'm kind of with you on this one.

If you had had the choice, would you have chosen to come into existence?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Religiously, the purpose of life is happiness.
Should I decide to pursue another religion I like Sikhism. Truth, wisdom, and sharing meals. Hard to go wrong there.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Oh we can go down the rabbit hole with this one.
Well, I mean, hopefully it would be a good purpose...

When we camp as a family, I've drilled into the kids the importance of leaving our campsite better than how we found it, which usually means policing up all the trash, both ours and what was laying around when we got there.

I try to apply the same principal to my entire life, leaving things a little better than how how I found them. That seems like a sufficient purpose to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I mean, hopefully it would be a good purpose...

When we camp as a family, I've drilled into the kids the importance of leaving our campsite better than how we found it, which usually means policing up all the trash, both ours and what was laying around when we got there.

I try to apply the same principal to my entire life, leaving things a little better than how how I found them. That seems like a sufficient purpose to me.
The rabbit hole for me meant questioning why people pick their purpose. If life has no purpose and we get to decide for ourselves, assuming there are no outside influences (religious tenets and morals) and human nature being what it is (pleasure seeking), wouldn't most humans seek pleasure? We'd be more or less feral.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Deep topic.

What do you think is the purpose of life? Do you think there is a purpose? Are your opinions based on a religious belief?
To live honorably, respectfully, and unselfishly, all in God's eyes!
And to experience life's high and low moments without disdain, envy, or arrogance for our fellow man!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I am not sure what everyone else's purpose is--I think we each have our own unique purpose--but I know what my purpose is: to love well. I loved Dear Hubby but when we started I didn't understand what Real Love was and thus, I did a poor job at it. Heck, I cheated! But I did learn from it, and I took the time to not only find out what commitment is and what True Love is, but I practiced it up until the moment he died.

And yet all that was just a stepping stone to where I am now. My purpose is to love EB well...to live in a way that he can believe that Real Love exists and put faith in the fact that he IS LOVED. If his last thoughts are something like, "I really was loved in this life" then I will have fulfilled my purpose: restoring for one man the knowledge that True Love really does exist, and that he is seen for who he is and worthy of being loved well.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I'm kind of with you on this one.

If you had had the choice, would you have chosen to come into existence?
Given what knowledge? The question presumes that at the time I would have some consciousness to ask "Do you want to exist", which of course is precisely the wrong time to ask someone if they want to exist or not.

If in general you're asking whether it is better to exist than to not, that too is unanswerable. Something that never existed in the first place cannot miss out on its non-existence. Just like I cannot be sad when I die.

If you're asking "Am I glad I'm alive?", then the answer is yes. How lucky was I to be born into a first world nation in an era of relative peace where I have autonomy and the time to banter philosophical questions on the internet? What's not to like?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts