Talk About Marriage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, someday (not sooner but later), we should be able to flatline the curve (most locations with no new infections for 14 straight days). It still does not mean the virus is gone, it will still be in the population but we will be prepared and able to do containment. We also have to come to terms that other SARS like corona viruses, Hantaviruses respiratory viruses and/or hemorrhagic fever viruses are with us and at any time can cross over to our species. But, I predict this pandemic will change society for decades to come beyond this pandemic.

I believe there will be changes that may become a permanent fixture: One thing I can see happening post pandemic, people using some level of PPE on a daily basis. Cash being a thing of the past; I could easily see merchants not wanting to handle cash any longer for safety reason. Right now a lot of grocery stores have built barriers between customers and cashiers. I suspect these will not come down and remains permanent fixture. Personally, I will be a bit more cautious about shaking a person’s hand and would provide and alternative to a greeting.

What other things do you see becoming more of permanent fixture post coronavirus pandemic? Or what habits will you change post coronavirus pandemic?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hand washing! More hand washing, I hope. Before this pandemic, I would constantly see people touch public elevator buttons, railings, door handles, etc. and then not use sanitizer or wash their hands and eat, etc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There will be economic impacts that last years or decades. Telling big chunks of the population to not go to work for a couple months is a Big Deal (TM). Lots of people who I worked with in factories would sometimes talk about having to wait to go grocery shopping or fix their car until after payday. Come April 1 there are going to be some tough decisions being made like car payment vs rent vs utilities. This could push some families down the economic ladder a couple rungs, especially if their job isn't there when this is over.

For some people, prepping or hoarding could be a new way of life, especially if they run out of something important. Closets full of TP and canned food.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Some people maybe more apt to washing their hands post COVID-19 but it won't phase everybody. I saw a store stocker exit the bathroom about two weeks ago without doing so. The sink was bone dry when I walked in.

·
Registered
19,142 Posts
I’ve been helping my company run it’s response team, and we’ve been essentially 100% remote workers except for production and engineering staff that have to go on-site.
One of the things we commented on from a leadership perspective the other day is that we think it’s going to change everyone’s idea of remote work, especially working from home. Productivity for remote workers hasn’t gone down, it’s gone up - by a staggering amount. We’re finding we have to kick people off, because they’re working 10-12 hour days from home, for example.
I think remote work is now here to stay in a larger way than ever before.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Well, I'll be buying a box of Carnation Powdered Milk and probably keep more meat in the freezer. And, a couple of extra bottles of hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol, bleach etc.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
A lot of companies are re-thinking the concept of tele-commuting. Overhead in many cases can be slashed. I was somewhat taken aback a few years ago when I discovered that our sales tax and payroll government auditors worked from home. I had one minor audit at a client/friend's home. Whole thing formally took about half an hour. Not a big to do at all. Spent the rest of the morning jabbering and sizing the guy up. Offered him a job as soon as he is ready to retire. I asked him if he had another audit for that day, he said no, he was done for the day, he had booked the day, and was going home. I should note that this was a Friday morning, so essentially his weekend began at about 10:30am Friday, after coffee and cake. I have come to understand that this is absolutely normal. I expect to see a few more do this. Social distancing will be a thing for at least a year. I think that we are really rethinking personal cleanliness. (I was a fat guy, and showering daily if not more was a must do.) Handwashing more often. I am constantly looking for moisturizer after the repeated hand washings, followed by alcohol based sanitizers.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I hope things such as telecommuting, less reliance on fast food, remain.

Since I don’t like touching, or being touched by someone I don’t know well, even to shake hands, hopefully this will get people more accepting so it’s no longer an anomaly.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I hope things such as telecommuting, less reliance on fast food, remain.

Since I don’t like touching, or being touched by someone I don’t know well, even to shake hands, hopefully this will get people more accepting so it’s no longer an anomaly.
Maybe for awhile, but old habits die hard. Some people will air on the side of caution a lot more, but I just don't think everyone will.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yeah, I think a lot of people who move to online or remote working, will not go back.

Also, I am hoping that spitting on the ground will become unacceptable. I passed someone in the street today as they did it. WTF?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Yeah, I think a lot of people who move to online or remote working, will not go back.

Also, I am hoping that spitting on the ground will become unacceptable. I passed someone in the street today as they did it. WTF?
  • Yes!! I used to work in the city and there are a TON of city sidewalk spitters. They don't care. They'll look right at you and do it in front of you. I'd taken to saying out loud, GROSS.
Unfortunately I'm betting those kinds of inconsiderate people aren't going to stop.

·
Premium Member
24,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
  • Yes!! I used to work in the city and there are a TON of city sidewalk spitters. They don't care. They'll look right at you and do it in front of you. I'd taken to saying out loud, GROSS.
Unfortunately I'm betting those kinds of inconsiderate people aren't going to stop.
Maybe we could as they do in Singapore. I can’t conceive anyone hawking up a loogie in public.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
People are creatures of habit, I think when this is over most will return to life as before. Maybe not in a week or a month, but eventually most will forget the lessons of the pandemic. Besides...what's the chance of something like this happening again? Right?

Personally I am an introvert, a bit of a germaphobe and retired so haven't been affected greatly. Closing of my gym screwed up my morning workout routine but that's a minor inconveinious.

One thing I will do differently in the future is stock more food, non perishable goods. I tend to eat fresh foods so don't store or freeze much, but that's an easy thing to fix. Oh and buy more toilet paper!

·
Registered
871 Posts
People are creatures of habit, I think when this is over most will return to life as before. Maybe not in a week or a month, but eventually most will forget the lessons of the pandemic. Besides...what's the chance of something like this happening again? Right?

Personally I am an introvert, a bit of a germaphobe and retired so haven't been affected greatly. Closing of my gym screwed up my morning workout routine but that's a minor inconveinious.

One thing I will do differently in the future is stock more food, non perishable goods. I tend to eat fresh foods so don't store or freeze much, but that's an easy thing to fix. Oh and buy more toilet paper!
You should keep at least 3 months of supplies on hand (food, meds, hygiene products), I wish this was something that everybody was doing before this happened. People who live in areas that are hit with hurricanes, snow, etc. already know this. Hopefully this will teach people the benefits of planning ahead but probably not

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I personally will keep a good supply of TP (once the shelves are properly restocked) and hand sanitizer at all times. I have always been one to have a good supply of meat and frozen veggies on hand. I will probably keep a bit more canned soups, veggies, etc on hand as well. I got lucky with this in that the day before they announced the lockdown in my state I was off and was able to hit the grocery store for these things. I'd rather have them on hand so that I'm not worried about hoarding anything. If I build up a supply slowly I won't be taking anything away from anyone else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts